Need camera recomendation

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
dnavarrojr

Need camera recomendation

Postby dnavarrojr » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:23 am

I need to replace my digital camera. And as much as I'd love to buy a brand-new D40, it's not in the budget. :(

I've got about $400 to spend (and that's stretching it) and I was thinking... Whatever model you professional photographers used last year or the year before should be sufficient and would probably be in my price range used on eBay.

So I'm looking for recomendations.

Thanks!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:30 am

Doubtful. Pro photographers have been using the D2X/D200 (Nikon) or 1DS Mk II/5D (Canon). All of those bodies will set you back more than a grand, used, and that's typically without lenses.

You might be able to find a Nikon D100 (which is about 4-5 years old now), or equivalent Canon for under $400 used. I have one and still use it...great camera, if a bit dated on some features (no iTTL for flash, slow write to CF cards, older focus/exposure system etc.). The D70 is a great body (my wife has one, and I "borrow" it when I need a 3rd body for things like wedding shoots when I want a wide, normal and long telephoto quickly to hand), but it's newer and will be pricier. For example, right now on eBay, a used D70 body alone is in the $350 range, and with the 18-70 kit lens you're up over $400 by quite a bit. D100 bodies (no lens) seem to be coming in in the low $300 range. You might find a deal on a used on with a lens or two within your budget, but it will take some looking.

But I wouldn't recommend a used DSLR if you can't afford the D40. The problem is that you'll have no money for lenses. And good DSLR photography is about lenses. Decent all-in-one lenses for DSLR's have only recently appeared, such as the 18-200 Nikkor (which I will probably get early in July to add to my collection). Problem is, that if you want that kind of all-purpose zoom range (rather than the more limited semi-wide to portrait kit lens that comes with entry level DSLRs (like the 18-70 or thereabouts that the D40 kit comes with). these lenses are not cheap. The 18-200 (if you can find one, they're still in a bit of short supply in some places) run a grand just for the lens!

I would suggest that you opt for a good point and shoot, that has a decent resolution (in the 6-10 megapixel range), low shutter lag time (that is key....you want the pic to snap as soon after you hit the button as possible) and with a large zoom range for the built in lens.

You should be able to find a decent such rig in your price range, either used or new.

And don't forget....there is no "i" in "camera".....it's the "eye" behind the camera that matters, not the equipment itself. ;-)

My 2 cents worth.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:04 pm

Hey Andrzej -- when you order that Nikon 18-200, why don't you have it shipped
to my house and I will be glad to check it out for you and make sure it is working
good :D

I agree with most of the things that Andrzej said -- much depends on what you are
going to be shooting though. For me, low shutter lag and quick start-up times are
essential (I justified my D70s camera to my wife for shooting the kids soccer games and
you can't have any delays with sports ... well, maybe for chess :wink: )

I have the D70s (newer version of the D70) with a cheaper ($200) Sigma 70-300 mm
lens on it and really like it, however that is out of your price range (I would be very
cautious buying cameras on eBay ) If you are not into shooting action shots, then
you can live with more shutter delay and power up time (say you are into sceenery
pictures for example). My wife and daughter both have Canon A640's (I think that
is the one). Very nice camera, small/compact, uses AA batteries and a SD memory
card. Here is one link to the Canon Powershot A640 you might want to check out:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... amera.html
It is also very easy on batteries.

While I agree that a DSLR is nice, if you buy something cheap, you may simply
find yourself frustrated and out the $400. DSLR is definitely a step up in $$$
and a good point and shoot (one of the newer ones) can give some really great
pix. As Andrzej indicated, the "i" behind the camera is the most important.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:48 pm

gpsmikey wrote:Hey Andrzej -- when you order that Nikon 18-200, why don't you have it shipped
to my house and I will be glad to check it out for you and make sure it is working

Umm....maybe not. ;-)

But if you come up for a visit to the greater Toronto area (I'm 1 hour north of TO), then I'll let you borrow it, and my 70-200 f2.8 and my 12-24 ultrawide and play with my D200 too, along with a personal/private tour of the Bear Creek Exotic Wildlife Sanctuary.

Oh....and I have a full service garage. Two beer fridges. One for bottles and another with a full keg of local microbrew ale on tap. And a full cupboard of single malt to wash down moose and venison steaks on the barbie.

How's that for an alternative offer, eh? ;-)

Postby nannybear » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:56 pm

Sounsd gound but where is the wine............................ :lol: J
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:09 pm

nannybear wrote:Sounsd gound but where is the wine............................ :lol: J

That comes from my wife's upstairs office when something crashes!

Oh...you mean the other kind of wine.

I have a 100 bottle wine cellar in the basement, so it's kept at the perfect temperature, so not to worry, Jan! If you ever make it up here you and your hubby will be well taken care of. You and Dana can whine all you want and your hubby and I will go down to the garage where the beer is and will practice being curmudgeonly! ;-)

Though by the spelling of "Sounsd" it sounds like you don't need any more wine right now. LOL

Speaking of curmudgeons, your hubby might like this book. I have a copy...it's wonderful!

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:47 pm

Tarafrost wrote:
gpsmikey wrote:Hey Andrzej -- when you order that Nikon 18-200, why don't you have it shipped

Umm....maybe not. ;-)

But if you come up for a visit to the greater Toronto area (I'm 1 hour north of TO), then I'll let you borrow it, and my 70-200 f2.8 and my 12-24 ultrawide and play with my D200 too, along with a personal/private tour of the Bear Creek Exotic Wildlife Sanctuary.

Oh....and I have a full service garage. Two beer fridges. One for bottles and another with a full keg of local microbrew ale on tap. And a full cupboard of single malt to wash down moose and venison steaks on the barbie.

How's that for an alternative offer, eh? ;-)

Sounds good (actually it sounds like my boss's house - two fridges
in the garage just for beer and that sort of stuff and a table in his
house with enough hard stuff on it to make the local glass banks
jealous!! If we ever get back and up that way, we will look you up
and say hi !!

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Mike S.

Re: Need camera recomendation

Postby Mike S. » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:45 am

dnavarrojr wrote: I've got about $400 to spend (and that's stretching it)

No personal experience with either of these two cameras but the user reviews seem quite positve:

IF IMAGE STABILIZATION IS NOT A REQUIREMENT FOR YOU:
FUJIFILM FINEPIX S6000FD
- $312.99 w/ free shipping from amazon and $50 rebate from Fuji should make it $262.99
- 6-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 14 x 19-inch prints
- 10.7x wide-angle image-stabilized optical zoom
- 2.5-inch LCD display
- Face Detection indentifies human subjects' faces in the frame and optimizes exposure
- Dual shooting mode takes two pictures, with and without flash, for you to choose between