Life happens...

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
dnavarrojr

Life happens...

Postby dnavarrojr » Sat May 12, 2007 2:31 am

My apologies for my long absence... I got suddenly inundated with a lot of work from clients who thought everything should be done in a day or two. :)

Things started to calm down the beginning of last week and I was preparing to do a couple sample projects to share on the forums and we got nailed by the heavy storms. I count us lucky as we weren't in southern Kansas where the tornado hit and did a lot more damage, but we did suffer from heavy flooding in our neighborhood. We estimate about $30,000 in lost items (including one verhicle) and another $40,000 damage to the house. Sadly, it looks like insurance will only cover a little more than half of the total.

I lost three of my computers including my main server. Fortunately, when I saw the storms coming, I did a backup of everything critical to a USB hard drive and put that in a watertight container I normally use for scuba diving. And fortunately, my laptop didn't get damaged, so at least I can still communicate and do some work.

The good news is that in the midst of all this, I got a full time job again. One of my clients was impressed enough with some work I did for them that they offered to hire me permenant. And of course, the great news is that nobody in the family was hurt.

We can eventually replace all of our "things" that were lost, so life goes on...

I'll be working for Kansas University, so one side benefit is that I'll be able to take up to 3 classes per semester for free. I am REALLY looking forward to that since they have classes on graphics design, photo journalism and video journalism.

If I'm spotty on attendance over the next month or two, it's just because I'm a little busy with my new job and rebuilding.

Thanks!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat May 12, 2007 7:30 am

Dave --

Very sorry to hear of your loss but glad it wasn't worse! And the new job is, no doubt, a big bright spot in the mess.

I can sympathize with your situation a bit, our home was effectively destroyed by a tornado in 1996 and getting everything replaced and the house rebuilt was a huge hassle. Fortunately, for us the damage was nothing like the devastation of the recent storms there or what's typical for a tornado. We lost a lot of content and the house itself had to be totally rebuilt but we lost nothing that couldn't be replaced.

Ours did and we'll hope that your situation will turn out okay in the end.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

dnavarrojr

Postby dnavarrojr » Sat May 12, 2007 9:10 am

Thanks Dick, I appreciate it.

This is the fourth time in my life that something like this has happened. I was renting a room in a house that collapsed in the '89 earthquake (I lived in San Jose). In 95 I was renting a guest house out in the country near Monterey, CA when floods filled the neighborhood up to the ceilings. In 2004 my ex-wife and I were living in Port Charlotte, FL when Hurricane Charley paid a visit and destroyed both our home and our business. And now this...

I'm starting to wonder if I'm a magnet for natural disasters or something... :shock:

My fiance has never been through anything like this, so she's obviously not taking it as calmly as I am. But we're getting through it and we're feeling fortunate compared to neighbors and others we see in the news.

I'd like to also give a shout out to the Red Cross, who has for the second time in my life, been extraordinary in helping me and my family. They're replacing essentials (beds, bedding, clothing). Also, my bank manager is kicking my insurance company's tail. We got a better offer on our settlement. The weekend appears to be ending on several high notes.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sat May 12, 2007 9:55 am

Dave

Sorry to here about your losses and the fact that insurance will only cover about half the cost. That would be devestating to me, and I am sure it is for you.

I am sure the losses have been compensated for, a little bit, on the gaining of a full time job, I wish you every success in your new position. I hope that you find it enjoyable.

Brian

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby Brenda » Sat May 12, 2007 10:29 am

Glad that you and your fiancee are both safe and I am sorry about your loss. I admire your calm and positive
attitude and hope everthing turns out well for you. The best of luck in your new job.

Brenda

Postby nannybear » Sat May 12, 2007 2:47 pm

I am so glad to hear that you are OK!!!!!! Our family lost our house in a fire so I know how you feel. funny thing is 1/2 of what I lost I don't miss, how is that for God doing the spring cleaning for you. Best of luck in everything.....hugs Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Return to Odds & Ends