Non-Flatbed Slide Scanner?

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
videogal

Non-Flatbed Slide Scanner?

Postby videogal » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:19 am

Looking for a scanner for slides and probably film. Looking at the posts here regarding scanners, many suggest flatbed scanners. When I look at the reviews on Amazon for say,
Epson 4490, many say flat bed scanners do not produce as crisp scans as non-flatbed scanners. I have a good scanner for prints so I don't need that function.

In the user reviews on CNET.com it seems like most scanners have some weakness to them. Whether it's software interface, crispness, number of scans at a time, time of scan, etc. I would like the ICE function. And would like to do several at a time to be numbered and into PhotoShop or Ulead photo impact.
Auto-crop, and straightening would be good. The Epson 4490 was criticized for not keeping global settings for batches of scans.

Any suggestions? I'm looking at spending $200 - $400 if Ihave to. Or am I looking too low for what I want?

I looked at the posts here on scanners from June 2006 into the fall. Has anyone changed their minds?

Thanks,

videogal

Postby nannybear » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:36 am

I use an Epson Perfection 3170 Photo and I am totally pleased with it. Hope that helps, cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

videogal

Postby videogal » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:01 am

Thanks for answering, Nannybear,

Have you used the slide adapter?

I assume you're happy with the way it works?

videogal

Postby nannybear » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:19 am

Yup, the slide adaptor takes a little getting use to but it's not that frustrating. I am a happy camper.....cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby marmart » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:54 am

I also use the Epson Perfection - Model 2580 ($139) and love it. I scanned a hundred slides for my last show and it worked great.

Mary

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:06 am

You can use a flatbed but you won't get the best results.

-- A flatbed is optimized for scanning reflective things--shine a light on it and record what bounces off. To get really good scans of slides or film you need a scanner that's optimized for the light passing through the slide--a transmissive scan.

-- No flatbed I know of (which may only show my ignorance) scans at the resolution you really should have for slides or film. 35mm film is a very small object to scan so if you want enough pixels to create big prints or do a significant crop, you need really high pixels-per-inch capability which is what the slide/negative scanners do.

-- The software that comes with the flatbed is likewise optimized for low/med res scans of reflective objects. The software with a film scanner knows that its dealing with a small object, and a transmission scan. It will normally include processing features just for this case like dust/scratch removal which can be critical for film scans.

The downside to the film scanner is that you're buying something pretty expensive, really good at what it does but isn't good for anything else. The market for consumer-oriented film scanners has shrunk in the last few years. I suspect a lot of folks are deciding the flatbed is "good enough." There's a lot of pro gear out there but it has way too many digits in the price tag. When I went through this recently, I bought the Nikon Coolscan V ED. Going price is in the $550-600 range. It's still pretty commonly available, well rated and, in my limited, experience works real well.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?ca ... uctNr=9239

Like all such things, there's a learning curve to getting the best out of it but the film scanner is the only way I know to get really good scans from slides or film.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:16 am

Like Jan I use an Epson 3170 which produces good scans of slides for a flat bed. It is good at both photographs and slides. However if you want the best I agree with Dick a dedicated slide scanner is best. They have a bigger 'contrast' range and bring out detail in shadows far better. As far as resolution I have found the Epson, at 3200 dpi capable of giving 10 x 8 prints.

Brian

andy

Love my Flat Bed Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Postby andy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm

I have an Epson Perfection ‘V700 PHOTO’ cost me £500, best money I have ever spent on a Flat bed film/slide/photo A4 scanner…. does everything and does it well!!
Yes it has a unique Dual Lens and Dual Lamp System, for slides/film,.... takes seconds to load and mount 12 slides, then once scanned, auto creates 12 separate files (one for each slide).
check out spec: http://www.epson.co.uk/products/product ... anning.htm

andy

videogal

Postby videogal » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:31 pm

DickK,
That's the explanation I was looking for!

Now I have to decide, do I want to pay for that detail of slide scan at this time. But being the perfectionist I am, I
will probably get the expensive one in the future when my jobs can pay for it.

If I only use it for slide shows and not prints, how is the resolution of the flatbed scanners for slide shows?

Briancbb,
If you are happy with the prints, I suppose it would do well with slide shows? Less resolution needed?

Andy, marmart, nannybear,

Sounds like you like your's for slide shows. I have folks who have a lot of work in slide scanning for
me to do for slide shows, so I'm looking for something which will work easily with large quantities
cropping, numbering, etc. I'll look up all your models.

Thank you all for writing. It's very helpful getting from your experience!

videogal

Return to Odds & Ends