Slide movement, how much is enough, how much is too much!

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Honorary ProShow PHD

Slide movement, how much is enough, how much is too much!

Postby DanDan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:52 am

Hi!
Our group has become so large, I am really having a hard time finding a previous thread or posting that I can recall from the past. Yeah, I know, it's also an age thing! :lol:
In a recent sample show thread, the question has come up again about the use of movement. Most comments about the show in question, stated too much movement. The poster asked if there is a formula in regard to movement in a show. I would like to gain your ideas on this. Especially from you pros out there. We are all a part of this "Elite community". I will state my feelings on movment, and hope that others will join in.
For most aspects of my life I try to subscribe to the 20/80 rule. For those of you in business of most sorts, you know what I'm talking about. For those that are not familar with the 20/80 rule, here are some examples that may or may not hit home. 1) 80% of the sample shows will be posted by 20% of the members of this forum. 2) 80% of the auto accidents are caused by 20% of the drivers. 3) 80% of the pop (soft drinks) are being drunk by 20% of the population. I could go on, but I guess you get it.
Anyway I also try to apply that thinking in regard to show movement as well. Sometimes it comes through and sometimes it doesn't, it dependends on the show type. Most family shows require some movement. Most shows that are strictly about the art, either photos, drawings, paintings, etc. require no movment. Some of the "Just for Fun" shows seem to require almost continuous movement. Of course there are variable degrees in all of this.
Would this be a viable synopsis:
Family shows: 10-20%
Photography: 0-10%
Art: 0-10%
Scenic: 0-20%
Floral: 0-20%
Fun Show: 20-100%
The show is the art: 0-100%
_Dan

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:23 am

Good comments Dan. You do realize of course that 87.23572 % of
statistics are made up ? :lol:

Those are some good comments and starting guidelines. The
bottom line though has to be "whatever works" (which may not
be the same for all people) and learning "what works" is a lot
of work (and some of us don't have the "knack" to get it - no
matter how hard we try). I have seen the same issue over in
the NLE (Non Linear Editing (Vegas, Media Studio Pro etc) forums.
First time users are "drunk with power" or something like that
and take it as a challenge to fit ALL of the available transitions
into one show. It's a learning experience. Like photography -
two things I became more aware of recently and am trying to
use more of; "shoot from a different angle" and "use awesom light"
(the awesom light is within 1/2 hour of sunrise and sunset
and can give fantastic pictures of all sorts of things - I can't find
the like for that one, but for anyone that wants to improve their
technique, check out the following articles ..

http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby jeanc » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:58 pm

When I got all excited about the options available to produce a show I was first overwhelmed and yet excited and wanted to incorporate a lot into a show. However, I quickly realized what has come to be my motto "Less IS More". Of course there are exceptions but to me the real talent and artistry is the ability to pick and choose from the abundant crop of tools and make it look like you haven't done much at all. When using special affects though, this is a different ball game. Does that make since?? I am definitely not a professional but I found out quickly how to make a show look too "busy" with no flow to it and produced something that, instead of enhancing the photos and telling a story, shouted "Look at all the toys I have". I know there are occasions when a more lively show can work but to me I think I will still use the "Less IS More" approach. Now to really show you how crazy I am - I think you can use a whole lot of the tools available and it still come across as "Less IS More".

Boy, I hope this came out like it's in my head and I don't embarass myself. :? My newness is probably shinning through! I have been absorbing so much from all of you and now I just wanted to jump in and get my feet wet.

Jean

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Slide movement, how much is enough, how much is too much

Postby DickK » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:09 pm

DanDan wrote:In a recent sample show thread, the question has come up again about the use of movement. Most comments about the show in question, stated too much movement. The poster asked if there is a formula in regard to movement in a show.

Really good question. Personally, I don't think there's ever going to be a general rule or even guidelines with numbers in it. If someone has one in their head and it helps them, okay, but I think there are way too many variables to ever had a hard rule.

Like the question of how many pictures is too many, the basic issue is "what story is being told?" That's really fundamental and, I sense, often overlooked. Every story needs enough pictures and no more--how many is that? Well a good story teller "feels" it and always is aware of the "less-is-more" principle. Motion is the same way--use enough and no more. My process involves building the show with little or no motion initially and then seeing where a specific picture or a sequence "needs" a zoom or pan or both to:

-- let the audience really see the picture
-- to draw focus to a specific thing in the picture
-- support the motion that's in (or implied by the picture)
-- to move the focus to a point in this picture that helps the next one make an impression
-- breaks up the monotony of a sequence
-- adds/supports humor

...lots of reasons, but I think there needs to be a reason. No reason to have the motion, then leave it out. And just 'cause I haven't used that motion (or transition, or trick, or...) in this show is rarely if ever a good reason.

Really good question and got me to thinking about a few related things that need some further thought before I can post anything, but the thought that popped into my head while typing this was "What makes a slide show a good one?" We seem to agree pretty well when we see one -- but what is it that we're reacting to that makes us say it's a good one? Hmmmmm....
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Esteemed Member

Postby JC » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:03 am

Mark Ridout actually uses quite a bit of motion but he manages to do it in a way that he is still viewed as a minimalist. Go figure??!! It might be worth looking at some of his 108 posted shows. Use "mark_ridout".

Jeff

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:01 am

I believe it's more commonly known as the 80/20 rule, not the 20/80 rule. AKA Pareto's Law. ;-)

I review my shows and then try to judge if the effect adds or detracts from the presentation, then make adjustments accordingly. The Snow Babies show had way too much motion in it at first, so I went through and toned it all down somewhat.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Return to Odds & Ends