Microsoft now forcing upgrades without users' consent.

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Re: Microsoft now forcing upgrades without users' consent.

Postby debngar » Mon May 30, 2016 6:41 am

So, do we allow KB3055583 to install, or not? It looks like that "update" has been reissued several times. What indicates one from another if they have the same update number?

http://www.infoworld.com/article/292260 ... 35583.html

I would rather buy a new computer with 10 on it to start fresh than have to deal with upgrading from 7. A computer tech personal friend of mine has the same opinion. Better to start using 10 on a new one than try upgrading. He's heard more issues about people trying to upgrade from 7. Ugh. Hate the thought of buying a new computer again but it seems a planned obsolescence thing that gives people little to no choice.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:21 am

Hello

If your PC is UEFI and if you are ready to reinstall everything : you can first update then get the Win10 iso on MS website and reinstall Windows from scratch (in place of the one upadated) : il will use the licence saved in the UEFI.

Anyway depending the needed drivers you may encounter a few problems but it's cleaner tant upgraded result.
Chris Marie

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:31 am

I've assumed Windows 7 is no longer supported, and now I'm assuming people with that version haven't been accosted by Microsoft. Am I wrong?
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Solitude » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:50 pm

BarbaraC wrote:I've assumed Windows 7 is no longer supported, and now I'm assuming people with that version haven't been accosted by Microsoft. Am I wrong?

People with Windows 7 are definitely being accosted by the nagging message to upgrade as well. There will be support for another couple of years, but Microsoft is pushing hard to get all on Windows 10. After July you will most likely have to pay for the upgrade if you want to go to Windows 10. If not, go into your control panel, windows update settings and uncheck the box for recommended updates as well as important updates.

Esteemed Member

Postby Merlin_AZ » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:04 pm

Windows 7 will be supported until 2020.
You will need to pay for Windows 10 after July 29th.

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:25 am

Hi
Merlin_AZ wrote:Windows 7 will be supported until 2020.
You will need to pay for Windows 10 after July 29th.

It's easy to find official OEM versions of W10 at very low price and this will cost less than to buy new scanners or replace other hardware not compatible with W10.

Scanner are quite always sacrified when upgrading Windows. Today it's possible to find a software for all old scanners but it's not free either...
Chris Marie

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:55 am

Well, I'll be darned. I went into the Control Panel and discovered the update notices have been collecting there for a long time. At some point, the little popup notices stopped without, as far as I know, any input from me. While there, however, I unchecked the box in question. Thanks for the heads up!
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:17 am

Marie78 wrote:Hello

If your PC is UEFI and if you are ready to reinstall everything : you can first update then get the Win10 iso on MS website and reinstall Windows from scratch (in place of the one upadated) : il will use the licence saved in the UEFI.

Anyway depending the needed drivers you may encounter a few problems but it's cleaner tant upgraded result.

I don't know if my computer is UEFI (and didn't know what that even was until I just searched for the meaning.) I don't remember exactly how old my computer is but it's at least 4+ years old. I haven't really kept up on all that much information on computers like I used to in the last couple of years.

Either way, if/when I have to buy another computer, the price will include Windows 10 with it. My computer tech friend did not recommend upgrading over 7 but rather buying a new computer. (I don't purchase my equipment from him by the way.)

The question was, how do I know the current update is the right one that won't force me to update when I hit the "X" to close the annoying blue box notice. I unchecked the update and the box is still popping up on my computer.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:40 am

Hello

To know if your computer is UEFI enter the bios when powering on : usualy it's DEL ou F2 key.

If it is UEFI you see it written in the BIOS windows. Just escape to go out without saving.

If you do not want tu upgrade, get Never10 and launch it : it's just a small utility and you can launch it again if you change your mind.
Chris Marie

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:53 am

It is worse than just being "accosted" for windows 7 folks - they not only hit you with the nag screen about "how wonderful it is and how many have upgraded" (I wonder how many upgraded against their will ??? :evil: ), Microsoft changed the code behind the nag screen so that when you clicked the "X" to kill it, you actually accepted the upgrade. See the articles linked in my earlier posts - including how to get/run "never10.exe" to block that nonsense (which I have done - still running Win7/64).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Solitude » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:30 pm

Good advice in here. I'm a bit stubborn here, do not like being "forced" to accept something I do not want, the privacy issue is a big factor, not there business if I am banking online or looking at nail polish, as well as the facts that Windows 10 will remove programs that it deems "unsafe, too old, incompatible, etc" without your authorization, even though you paid for the program. Those running Windows 10 will have apps being loaded to their desktop that they did not want or need, again without your authorization. I am an adult, and as such would like to make up my own mind if I want to upgrade, or use 7, 8 etc., it should be my right. Hmm maybe I should tell "Bill Gates" who to donate his money too.....

Previous

Return to Odds & Ends