New Paypal Policy allowing marketing calls-(July 1)-US only.

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

New Paypal Policy allowing marketing calls-(July 1)-US only.

Postby Astra » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Did you read about new Paypal Policy for allowing cold, robo-text/calls & other marketing messages on users phones - & no opt out ??
....(U.S. users only).....
Should go into effect on July 1st 2015.

Here is the article from "CDA News":
http://cdanews.com/2015/06/paypals-new- ... old-calls/

Alex

Re: New Paypal Policy allowing marketing calls-(July 1)-US o

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:22 pm

From what I heard on the news yesterday (or was it Friday?), after lots of outcry, they are changing it so you can "opt out" although, as they pointed out on the news, nobody knows just what hoops you have to jump through to get to the "opt out" part. Maybe everybody should give PayPal the number for the FTC as their "home phone" - let the FTC get fed up with that crap.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Astra » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:33 am

Mikey,
great idea with the "home phone".

Meanwhile, we are ready to cancel our 2x Paypal accounts.

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:06 am

Yeah, I already get enough of the "your windows files are infected and I'm from Microsoft support" as well as the credit card scams. Fortunately, they seem to keep using the same list of bogus numbers for their calls, so the software on my computer grabs the call as soon as it recognizes them and drops the line.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby Astra » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:02 am

Mikey,
your mention of "credit card scams" reminded me, WHY we liked the PayPal - it was safe to use for purchases in un-known or small Websites.
So some companies could loose lots of business - for myself: it will be couple of trusted ones & Amazon....
Alex

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Yep - that is what I use Pay-Pal for - the small companies or some components for projects from China importers etc. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot, but then again, maybe they expected nobody to notice the change. Someone actually reads all the pages of the fine print for these things (fortunately for us).

mikey

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:38 pm

Even better - I just looked and they don't have my mobile phone number (nor are they likely to ever get it !! ). They do have my home phone, but the computer can take care of those junk calls.

mikey

Postby ginger » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:40 am

This is disturbing news about PayPal.

Mikey, what software do you use to block calls, and what type of phone service do you have?

Thanks,

ginger

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:15 am

We have Comcast phone (same number as our old landline was). The software I use is called PhoneTray - you can use a 15-20 dollar USB modem on the computer and it watches the caller ID of all incoming calls for recognized numbers. The nice part is that it is easy to add numbers to the blocked list AND it ties into a database they maintain (PhoneTray) that everybody updates when they block numbers (you do pay an annual fee for the database access and updates). All in all, very reasonable and easy to set up. Here is the link for anyone that is interested: https://www.phonetray.com/ I have had it for some time now and it seems to work quite well. Forgot to mention - $29 for the software with 1 year of updates/database access and $10/year for continued updates and database access after that. Surprising how many of the scam numbers it does know (from other people blocking them). After the first few blocked scam calls (phone rings once then it see the CID and blocks), you decide for $10/year, it is worth it :twisted:

mikey

Postby ginger » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:38 am

Thanks for the info. They also have a 15 day free trial, and you don't have to pay for the database update until the second year.

Looks like a good piece of software to have. The Do Not Call registry doesn't seem to working as well as it should.

ginger

Postby Barbara_K » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:59 am

I'm using "Nomorobo". It's free and work with all phone carriers. Works perfectly. If you have Comcast phone service you need to have a smart phone to set it up but still not hard. I now have Verizon phone service and it was a snap to set up. I highly recommend this.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

Barbara

Postby debngar » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:05 am

ginger wrote:Thanks for the info. They also have a 15 day free trial, and you don't have to pay for the database update until the second year.

Looks like a good piece of software to have. The Do Not Call registry doesn't seem to working as well as it should.

ginger

It only works when the companies that call people abide by the list. The companies just say, oh we didn't see your number on the list and call anyways. Seems to me, if the companies were fined and people that reported them got a piece of the pie, maybe things would be different. But it's sometimes difficult and time consuming to track down the complete information to report it.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby ginger » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:40 am

Thanks for the info about Nomorobo Barbara. I'll check it out.

Another problem with the registry is this: "The National Do Not Call Registry applies to any plan, program, or campaign to sell goods or services through interstate phone calls." I've noticed them using local phone numbers to avoid this part of the rule.

...and I can't wait for the campaign calls to start. Those are also exempt.

ginger

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:52 am

Actually, they don't actually use "local phone numbers" - they just spoof the caller ID to make it look like a local call (or one of the ones I have seen is they use your own number so it looks like you are calling yourself or something). Supposedly, they can be fined, but actually nailing them down and documenting it usually doesn't happen, so the FTC does not get involved. The nice thing about the software I use is when you block a number that just called you, by default it also reports it to the central database. If I remember correctly, 3 reports from the same number results in a review and probable addition to the central database (I had a discussion with Michael at PhoneTray about this). Most of the scammers simply don't care if you report them because the number you see is bogus anyway. Recently, I have had the one where you get the call and when you answer, you get "Hi, this is Tim something .... can you hear me OK? .... good " and then he goes on with the scam. They have worked the recording so the pauses are just right so people think they are actually talking to a live person at the other end. Bottom line is most of them want some sort of personal information. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing for more info on that. You can even get a "spoofcard" to use for yourself (do a Google search on "CID Spoofing")

mikey

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:02 am

Nomorobo was one that was mentioned recently on the local news and also got good comments. I already had PhoneTray set up on my machine and was happy with it (got it Sept. 2014), but the nomorobo did get good comments on the news. I have not tried that one at all. The big problem is maintaining some sort of database of the numbers the scammers are using -and they change them periodically. The more people that contribute to that database, the more likely it is to be accurate in stopping the scam artists (if everybody would wise up and simply refuse to deal with them at all, the problem would go away, but there are too many folks out there that keep biting on the "infected windows files", "duct cleaning", phony IRS calls etc. on a regular basis). I got one a few days ago that shocked me. Claimed to be from my bank. Indicated they had sent a new card out and that we should call the numbers on the card if there were any questions. Wow!!!! It actually was from my bank :D

mikey

Next

Return to Odds & Ends