35 mm Slide Scanner

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Esteemed Member

35 mm Slide Scanner

Postby JBD » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:02 am

Anyone have a suggestion for a 35mm slide scanner that does not cost a bundle of money?

Re: 35 mm Slide Scanner

Postby heckydog » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:01 pm

There's lots of variables to consider before trying to answer your question. The first one being what do you consider "not a bundle of money"? Do you need to scan 10 slides or 500, or 1000?

I did a quick search on ebay and saw one for as little as $34, but you get what you pay for. So it pays to check reviews and do comparisons.

Google is really your best friend for something like this. It will help you to see what's out there, features you may not know about, and prices. You can then narrow your choices by looking at reviews and then checking places like Amazon, Newegg, B&H Photo, etc. Also, you need a good photo editor to go along with the scanner. The last time I scanned slides was probably 7-8 years ago, but a few years ago I ran the original scans through Adobe Lightroom and it made a big difference in the final output.

Joe

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:42 pm

Another thing to keep in mind when looking for a scanner is drivers for it. Many of the manufacturers of the good scanners (Nikon etc.) have not and do not plan to release a 64 bit driver. If you are running a 64 bit version of windows, you are out of luck for a driver for the Nikon scanners if you go to Nikon. There are some excellent aftermarket scanner utilities (Vuescan is the one I have http://www.hamrick.com/ ), but it is not free (but it is reasonable and very good). Most of the manufacturers of the good film scanners have gotten out of the market - there is very little demand for new scanners. People buy one new, use it for their old film/slides then sell it to the next person who does the same thing and so on so the bottom fell out of the market for expensive scanners that were only going to be used for a limited selection of film/slides then sold since the user was not going to be shooting any new film/slides.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Dean Athans » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:55 pm

I have had good luck with the Epson Perfection V700 Photo. Does 12 slides at a time with very good color rendition and clarity.
- Dean A.
Dean A

Postby bobradarbob » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:35 am

Gpsmikey,

I saw your excellent suggestion regarding the 64bit drivers and Vuescan and it reminded me of just how much I appreciate the developer of that software. If you do ever have to call for support you usually get "HIM". That's right - The guy that wrote the software is who you talk to when you call for support. At least that has been my experience. You just can't say that often these days. The software works well with just about anything out there and if it won't, Mr Hamrick will try to help you make it work.

I have no interest in the company and don't personally know Mr Hamrick but I appreciate his software and his efforts to sell and support a great product offered at a very reasonable price.

bob

Esteemed Member

Postby JBD » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:42 am

Thanks everyone.

Return to Odds & Ends