Lost photos on Portable Hard Drive

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Honorary ProShow PHD

Lost photos on Portable Hard Drive

Postby Penny47 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:01 am

HI everyone, as I mentioned in another post I have lost a lot of my photos from shows that I did. Now I think they may have been on my portable Hard drive which I cleared as I thought I was going to use it for something else. This did not happen but when I deleted the photos I went Ctrl: Alt: Delete: now does that mean I can never get them back from my portable HD or is there a way?

Thanks in advance

Penny

Re: Lost photos on Portable Hard Drive

Postby heckydog » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:11 pm

If you haven't written anything to that portable hard drive you should be able to recover most, if not all, of the files. You can use a program like "Recuva" available from Piriform. Here's the link: https://www.piriform.com/recuva

I have used it in the past with some success. On the download page there's a free download and a "pro" version you can buy. I use the free version.

Joe

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:27 pm

Thanks Joe, my husband just pointed out that I have started to put photos over onto it again, so it looks like I lose this round and will just have to do the walks all over again. but I will keep that link as I am bound to do it again at some point.

Penny

Postby heckydog » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:18 pm

You may still be able to restore some of the files. The program will list what it can restore and what has been partially written over and no longer recoverable.

Joe

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:33 pm

OK will give it a try...

Penny

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:34 pm

Like Joe says - don't write any more to the portable drive until you investigate what can be recovered. And DON'T put important images just on one drive !!! (that includes not putting them in separate partitions if they are on the same drive!!). Drives die - it is a fact of life - keep them in several different physical places - disks are cheap these days.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:42 pm

OK Mikey, I have them on my OneDrive (in the cloud) I have 2 Portable Hard Drives, it is the small portable Hard Drive that had the missing photos on it so I will try and work that one out 1st. I also will put them on to DVD's as I have plenty of those at hand. I am learning (the hard way) :-)

Penny

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:55 am

One issue with DVD's (and CD's) - they have a way of getting lost in stacks of papers etc. :evil: I have a master directory structure I keep my photos in. I then have a folder for any project I am working on with folders under that project folder for images, sound, clipart. I make copies of any images I am using into the images folder for the project, leaving the originals in the master tree which gets backed up nightly to a second machine and weekly to a different drive on the same machine (and that drive gets swapped with a second one periodically).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:19 am

Mikey thanks. I am going to find a way to not lose things again. Like I am going to try never o get a virus that It is all too much for me. today I shall attempt to get my photos back. But I am not happy about doing it all on my own. Doing the reformat was bad enough and I had a a guide to help me with that. :-) Thanks again for your advice.

Penny

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 pm

I just want to thank you for all your help and for giving me the program to retrieve my photos. I have managed to get most of it back, but I made one mistake I asked for all files etc. Should have just said photos, as that is all I wanted. never mind this will give me something to do over the next few months. :-) I am just happy that I have got most of them back. There are some that I don't think I got back but apparently I can go deeper into the hard drive so I may try that later if I find I have not got everything. So once again, many thanks.

Penny

Return to Odds & Ends