Help retrieving photos

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Honorary ProShow PHD

Help retrieving photos

Postby Penny47 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:14 pm

I seem to have lost a whole lot of my original photos that I used making some shows, can you tell me please if it is possible to get these photos back from the shows I have made. I still have most of the shows on a DVD. I recently had to reformat my PC and the photos may have been lost during this process. I am amazed that this happened as I am usually very good about backing up my photos :-)

Many thanks in advance for any help given or advice.

Re: Help retrieving photos

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:59 pm

Well, sort of -- There are a number of utilities that allow you to grab a frame from a video. Unfortunately, you are going to be limited to the resolution of the video and any overlays etc. you have on the image are part of the image you will grab. Some of the tools you can use are part of windows, others are part of video editors etc. Do a Google search on "windows video frame capture" and see what works for you. One thing you might want to consider doing if you are just making shows for friends and family (and yourself) is (assuming the shows are not huge), adding a folder to the DVD that includes all the images you used in the show. That way, if you have the DVD, you also have copies of the original images (although a better process is to have your images all backed up in several physically different places).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:10 pm

hi Mikey, Thanks for the reply I won't worry about trying to get them off the shows, I will however take your advice about saving all the pictures for each show I do with that show. Pity I did not think about it sooner :-)

Penny

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:36 am

One thing to be aware of is when you add the folder with the images to the DVD, you lose one level of the directory structure (I really have to come up with a good explanation for this). When you select the folder you want to add in the "add extra content" option, it adds the CONTENTS of that folder to the top level of the DVD. This means that if you have a bunch of images in a folder called "images", you will end up with all those images at the top level of the DVD. The trick is to have it 2 levels deep - create a pair of folders ./extras/images for example with the images you want to add in the images folder under the "extras" folder. Now when you point at the "extras/images" folder, you will get a "images" directory on the DVD with the selected images inside that. Makes it much cleaner.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:18 am

OK thanks, you have given me plenty to think about and to try doing. Good thing we are going to have rain today so I can have an excuse to stay indoors and try this.

Penny

Return to Odds & Ends