New computer advice

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Esteemed Member

New computer advice

Postby Richard_T » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:54 am

Im looking into a new computer, and as proshow seems to be one of the most taxing programmes for my current pc, i thought i would ask for some advice here.
current system:
intel core 2 duo, 1.87ghz
4GB Ram ( not sure on speed, but not that fast )
AMD 6700 Graphics card 1GB Ram DDR5
samsung 840 series SSD, 120GB ( main boot/os)
Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB drive ( documents/files etc etc)
windows 7 home premium retail version

Thinking of upgrading to this:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/bare ... 3208b.html and adding:
the hard drives form my current p.c
The Os from my current p.c
the graphics card from my current P.C

any thoughts?

Re: New computer advice

Postby bobradarbob » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:52 pm

Hey,

Just FYI - the new INTEL CPU and chip sets are arriving shortly. If you are AMD fan, that don't mean much but again this is just FYI.....
[url]
http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleath ... thusiasts/[/url]

Good luck with your build,

bob

Esteemed Member

Postby Merlin_AZ » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:50 am

Core 2 Duo? Yea, needs a refresh.
Don't go below a Core i5 if you want to do encoding, and i7 would be better.
At least 8 GB ram also.

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:03 pm

I'm with Merlin on this ... go for what you can afford but with a mind on 3 or so years down the pike, or so. Get the strongest video card you can too ... you don't have to go hogwild but get the fastest card you can afford. Go with a 64-bit operating system ... at this point, choosing a 32-bit OS doesn't make sense any longer. If you can get 16GB of RAM do it ... but 8GB is a good start (memory is cheap these days). Get a 2TB drive ... at least one. I'm not sure that Blu-Ray is going to have any staying power but the DVD standard works for now. Dual Drives gives flexibility ... read/write not read only. The Intel I7 or better is what you want to get ... with compatible memory.

I'm using a GeForce GTX 660. Window 8.1 is out ... you might want to go with that... or wait for the next Windows iteration to appear and just go with Win 7, 64-bit. I'm using a quad-core Asus motherboard. Perfectly acceptable ... since I'm not a gamer.

The cost of SSD's is coming down. If you still want the speed of bootup and such, get the largest you can afford ... and keep that 120GB version around for little things.

Have fun!
Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:28 pm

I have been very happy with the Western digital 2TB Caviar Black drives (I have a number of them that run 24-7). B&H Photo has a good price on them currently (not sure if it is the best, but last time I checked it was $149 with free shipping). I did have some 1.5 TB Samsung drives, but had issues with both of them and have heard that they are now being produced by Seagate which I have had nothing but bad luck with). Check out places like Newegg and see what others are saying about the drives you are looking at.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to Odds & Ends