"The Ultimate Story" - Photodex Contest

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

"The Ultimate Story" - Photodex Contest

Postby debngar » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:27 am

For ProShow users interested in participating in a new slideshow contest - see the link on the Photodex site for information. Deadline is June 10th 2014.

http://www.photodex.com/theultimatestory
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Re: "The Ultimate Story" - Photodex Contest

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:40 am

I just now read through the requirements and discovered the shows MUST contain video. This may leave out a lot of people unless they realize they can create a slideshow, save it as video, then use the video inside another slideshow. Unless corporate considers it cheating, of course. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:47 pm

BarbaraC wrote:I just now read through the requirements and discovered the shows MUST contain video. This may leave out a lot of people unless they realize they can create a slideshow, save it as video, then use the video inside another slideshow. Unless corporate considers it cheating, of course. :D

Barbara

Why would anyone go that trouble? While not everyone uses a smartphone, there are over 1 billion people in the world that do and those devices have ability to capture video. These days, even a child's $20 digital point and shoot camera can capture video, though it may not be HD quality.

The last slideshow I made of the annual Bethlehem Village event included some video that I shot with my Android. It was as simple to insert the clips into the slideshow as it was to insert the still shots. Other than a few tweaks to clip off the end where I wanted, I had no problems at all. The audio was actually better in those clips than the audio of the clips someone else was recording of the event with a GoPro video camera.

While this is an assumption on my part, I'd bet most people wanting to enter would have at least a digital point and shoot camera that can produce video to include in the show. If not and it's a grandparent needing a few clips of their grandchild for example, they could ask for a copy of them from the child's parent that probably posts a ton of them on Facebook, Instagram or Google +. :D
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:05 am

Given that it's a contest, they may be looking for quality all the way around, including video. Some have gizmos that can do it, some don't. My camera can do it, but I'm not impressed with the results. My phone does phone calls. :D

Barbara

Postby debngar » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:33 am

Yes there are people that have phones that capture low res images and make phone calls and no other features.

We don't know what will be chosen over all the submissions. I don't see anything pointing to just people that own/use professional equipment. The appeal seems to be to the mass of ProSHow users and the demo shows all sorts of video clips in it, old and new. We both know it's not necessary to have expensive equipment to make a good picture. The contest is all about the story. The only thing I see is that they want it in 720p HD output.

Your show "Her Name" was a wonderful story! A short clip with a staged scene in it at a desk of photos could be inserted for instance for a contest entry version.

http://www.photodex.com/share/barbarac/8ddx6mg4

My point was that there are ways to work around getting a bit of video into a show's story, even if it means asking a friend if one could borrow their phone or digital camera for a minute to capture a quick video clip to include in one's show. :D
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:07 am

debngar wrote:Your show "Her Name" was a wonderful story! A short clip with a staged scene in it at a desk of photos could be inserted for instance for a contest entry version.

http://www.photodex.com/share/barbarac/8ddx6mg4

My point was that there are ways to work around getting a bit of video into a show's story, even if it means asking a friend if one could borrow their phone or digital camera for a minute to capture a quick video clip to include in one's show. :D

Thanks for the compliment! And you're right, of course. Anyone determined to do this can certainly find a way to do so. But it isn't going to me because, having added a second business to my workload, I'm running pretty much on empty. :shock:

Barbara

Postby bob walden » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:29 am

Bummer! How did I miss that story! Love it! Very nice Barbara!

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:35 am

bob walden wrote:Bummer! How did I miss that story! Love it! Very nice Barbara!

Thanks, Bob!

(Debbie has the memory of an elephant. :!: )

Barbara

Postby debngar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:39 am

BarbaraC wrote:---snip---

(Debbie has the memory of an elephant. :!: )

Barbara

Not as much now as the years go by. But it's easier to remember a good story! :wink: :D
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:18 am

debngar wrote:Not as much now as the years go by. But it's easier to remember a good story! :wink: :D

It gets better. Eventually, we remember only the stories, some of which might be true, and if they aren't, we don't care. 8)

Barbara

Postby Bevie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:50 am

Just viewed the winning video of the Adventure/Nature Ultimate Story Contest that ended in September. It was knock your socks off gorgeous, better than National Geographic :D It's a little disheartening though. It's tough to compete with professional photographers but I hope I learned something of how Paul put together his show - his techniques - it was absolutely stunning! Won't be entering Photodex's next contest - Weddings - there's been a long dry spell for weddings for me :cry: Maybe next time I hope. I think everyone did a wonderful job. It's definitely fun trying.
ProShow User since 2013 - ProShow Producer 6 - Novice

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGalleryPage

Mac 10.6.8
Proshow Producer 6 - Parallels 8 - Windows 7
Photoshop CS4

Return to Odds & Ends