Congratulations on great site and online community!

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Congratulations on great site and online community!

Postby phil » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to say thanks for the site and active community efforts. I am currently testing ProShow products and am confident following reading through information here and elsewhere that Producer will best meet my needs. Great interface, flexibility, and developmental potential (my skills).
I am working through output/publishing options of the trial version to ensure it will produce the desired result before taking the plunge.
We do a lot of travel photography and as I am sure everyone here finds… family and friends can require very different mediums; from DVD to latest mobile gadgets.
It is a big improvement from my old Memories on TV and various other applications we use to display our photos, etc.

Thanks again.
Phil

Re: Congratulations on great site and online community!

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:36 am

I used to use slide show software I can't even remember the name of at this point. When I purchased ProShow Gold, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven, but I very quickly grew dissatisfied, wanting what could only be done with Producer. Based on this experience and on what I've seen happen to others, if you're leaning toward Gold, thinking you'll never want all that fancy stuff, take a moment to think again. You will want it, I promise. :D

Welcome aboard!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby phil » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the advice! I went with Producer and am incredibly impressed. The basics I found straight forward but am having a lot of fun digging deeper and reading through your and others information on this site is a great help. I keep finding myself thinking that is a very cool feature... it would be even better if you could... wow you can!
Still in the early learning stages and working through the manual, setting up favourites for styles and transitions, etc.
Been looking at what others have done and resisting the temptation to purchase every effects pack that has something I like until I have worked through what is already in the package and or could easily be modified. I added ProShow Effects Pack 6 to the original order for a little extra impact on early shows.
Just starting to look at adding some short tests to my website via Youtube. Music is the biggest issue so far but have found some great information on this site to help avoid copyright issues. As we know music is an important element, finding something that works with our project can be difficult... finding something with appropriate copyrights, that much harder.
For now I will keep it simple and use some “free to use if credited”, Creative Commons for anything web based or public.

Again thanks for all the effort you and the rest of the ProShow Enthusiasts community put in. It is very much appreciated. Hopefully as I learn more I can add some more value to the discussions.

Phil

Postby im42n8 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:26 pm

There's a lot to learn with Producer. Learning what Producer can do is a very interesting challenge. Applying styles to a slide and then analyzing how the effect is created can teach you scads about how the program does what it does. The only time it won't is when you apply a style that uses some very advanced (for Proshow) techniques (that is, achieving an effect might not be immediately obvious as to how it's done ... even if modifiers are NOT used) and you're not yet ready for those techniques.

But, as you become more adept at using the program, more of its features become more understandable to you. But then, just when you think you really know the program, you find out there's even more to learn. And, when you when you think you know everything there is to learn about the program, you suddenly discover that there's was indeed more to learn!

There's plenty to keep you busy creating slideshows, creating useful effects to display your images, and making effective use of the program's features. And, the more you use the program, the more you learn about it. And what's also pretty nice is that there is often more than one way to accomplish the same effect or task.

Have fun!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby phil » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:55 am

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your insights. I am very happy I went with producer and am having a lot of fun learning the basics. I enjoy looking a bit deeper and seeing how things work. I also find the knowledge gained pays dividends down the track with both time saved and show impact.

Thanks to you and the other regular contributors of this site. Your wealth of knowledge and willingness to engage all levels makes so much difference.

I created a quick 2 minute show on our recent trip to see the Northern Lights in Norway. I could probably continue to work on it for weeks but the family and friends are demanding a demo of the program I have been raving about so dropped it on YouTube to keep them happy and allow me more producer play time. http://youtu.be/-eom0lqKTEo
The trickiest part is sorting out the music so I don’t step on any toes. Thought I had followed all the rules, had the license, etc but still got flagged. Working through the dispute process now. The less fun part of the learning.

Thanks again.
Phil

Postby trulytango » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:10 am

Gorgeous images, beautifully presented 8)
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:58 am

Definitely gorgeous photos! The only thing I was wishing for was that some of those images ended up wall-to-wall so they were as large as possible. Beautiful stuff deserves bigness! :D

You ran into what so many people do when the music is classical. There's a company that claims the rights to all of it because, I believe, they print sheet music for it. I've run into this, and in one case (just like you did), it was with something performed by Kevin MacLeod. My protest to YouTube included his name because I already knew about his problems, but I also wrote to Kevin about it. He's been dealing with this for a couple years. You might want to write to him about it to make sure he's aware that it's still going on.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby phil » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:30 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. It was an amazing experience and another tick on our top level bucket list.

Barbara,
I was thinking the same thing when I looked at this on a smaller screen like an iPhone or tablet. Didn’t notice it as much on the TV and the PC with their size.

Regarding the music I thought I would see how the dispute goes, then let Kevin know the result either way so he would have something to work with if necessary. I found his site a bit of a gold mine for a beginner like myself. Many of the sites are looking for significant amounts of money for a couple of pieces which is hard to justify for non-commercial and beginner testing.
I do believe artists should be compensated for their efforts though and thought I would make a donation or two to Kevin if I can continue to use his very generous work.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Return to Odds & Ends