Big executables or other files on DVD fail ...

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Big executables or other files on DVD fail ...

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:03 am

Ran into an issue a while back with another user where a large executable would work on his system, but when he tried to include it on a Video DVD, it failed. Looking at it, the file was getting truncated on the DVD. At first I thought this was a Photodex issue, but after doing some research, it turns out it is a limitation of the Video DVD itself. You can't put files over just under 1 GB on a video disk. I thought the problem with large executables failing and large video files getting corrupted might be related, so I did a bit of snooping ...

Turns out it looks like they are – video DVD’s use the UDF file system. Specifically UDF 1.02 and if you look at that specification (see below), it includes specific additional limitations for Video DVD’s.

OK, I think I found it - this link http://www.osta.org/specs/pdf/udf102.pdf is the specification for the
UDF file system and on page 89, it specifies the additional limitations for DVD video disks. It states that

"Originating systems shall constrain individual files to be less than or
equal to 2**30 - Logical Block Size bytes in length"

guess what that number (2**30) is? 1,073,741,824 bytes ( 1 GB)

I have reported this back to Photodex and suggested they put additional warnings on their file creation to address those limits. It is NOT a Photodex issue, but the users do need to be aware of the limitations. A regular DATA format DVD can hold larger files, it is only when you apply the additional limitations for VIDEO DVD's that you run into this issue.

The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from :twisted:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to Odds & Ends