For those that use laptop for shows and adjustments

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Valued Member

For those that use laptop for shows and adjustments

Postby DJaseck » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:02 am

This may be a bit off topic, but certainly relates creating shows and is posted for those of us that use laptop computers to created, process and especially make image adjustments. One of the problems with using laptop screen is that if the screen is too far forward it is too light, or too far backward it is too dark. I ordered this little gadget that appears to be the answer to viewing the screen at the right angle consistently. Other wise you images could end up being too light or dark when shown on other viewing devices. Fortunately, I was able to color calibrate my laptop as well as my larger desktop monitor for consistent color and tonality for editing images, viewing shows on TV, or printing so that I have a consistent standard as I work. Anyway, I thought it might be of interest to those here on this forum. Watch the demo video of how this thing works....Dave

http://www.acratech.net/viewing-angle-gauge/

Re: For those that use laptop for shows and adjustments

Postby debngar » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:00 am

Hi Dave,

I bought a laptop a number of years ago for mobility purposes and set it up with a (cloned) second calibrated monitor on my desk for editing to avoid the angle problems. That was ok, but after experiencing frustration with regard to multiple people viewing pictures via the laptop screen when mobile, I decided not to pursue that method any longer. When the laptop crashed and I reloaded the OS and all the files but bought a 64-bit desktop to replace it as my workhorse computer and never looked back. I rarely use the laptop anymore.

The device you shared solves some of the problems with the viewing angle front to back, yes. But if more than one person is trying to view the screen, they're looking at it from a different angle, either off to the side or maybe from a standing position. When I showed a series of wedding images to a couple several years ago, the person sitting directly in front of the laptop screen could see the images but the other person could not as the angle made the images too dark to be seen. Unless I missed something, that device doesn't seem to solve that problem.

It's possible that newer laptop screens may now a larger viewing angle (sideways) but I don't think it's as large as regular flat screen monitor.

For topics like this, the "Odds and Ends" section may be a better fit. The moderator may choose to move it. If he does, you might find it in that section. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby DJaseck » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:48 am

Hi Debbie...I have a large laptop with a 17" screen and performs very well with huge hard drive and an i7 quad core processor. My old desktop has a great 23" IPN lcd monitor which gives a good view at angles off center. The desktop is my workhorse system but so much prefer working on my laptop. I have tried using my laptop with the large desktop monitor and will probably be the setup when and if my desktop pc dies. You cannot imagine the stuff I have hooked up to he desktop computer.

Postby debngar » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:00 am

DJaseck wrote:Hi Debbie...I have a large laptop with a 17" screen and performs very well with huge hard drive and an i7 quad core processor. My old desktop has a great 23" IPN lcd monitor which gives a good view at angles off center. The desktop is my workhorse system but so much prefer working on my laptop. I have tried using my laptop with the large desktop monitor and will probably be the setup when and if my desktop pc dies. You cannot imagine the stuff I have hooked up to he desktop computer.

Worked fine for me at home, yes, because people could see the larger cloned monitor. But when the laptop is moved to another location (without the extra monitor), the angle of view limited the number of people being able to see the images on the screen in the same way as the person sitting right in front/center. Are you saying for your laptop, viewing the screen is no different for people standing to view it? If so, then count yourself fortunate. On mine, that wasn't the case.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Return to Odds & Ends