BIG changes here!

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

BIG changes here!

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:21 am

Mike is overhauling the forum software, and not realizing this was going on, I thought for a moment that I'd arrived at the wrong place. :D In the meantime, if others are experiencing the problem I am where the posts are as wide as your monitor, leading to getting lost in a paragraph, do what I just did, which was to narrow the width of the browser.

One other thing I noticed is that the forum seems to be running faster.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: BIG changes here!

Postby SandyB » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:15 am

THANKS MIKE!
Connecting Who You Are With What You Love To Do

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:21 am

Just an FYI, what you see now may be totally different once things are finished being updated so don't panic if you see something that isn't familiar. There might be a period of time where things change often, or not at all. I'll make a post when I think I've completed this task.

Mike

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:50 am

Mike, I figured things are in a state of flux, but everything is here and totally workable, so if it takes quite a while to add polish, I'm sure everyone will agree that the world won't come to an end. Take your time. You already have enough on your plate.

Barbara

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:06 pm

Managing subscriptions! I love it! It may take a bit of time to whittle them down--I had about 55 pages filled all the way back to 2007--and I'm now down to "only" 35 pages, but what a boon. I'm deleting all the old ones except for those I might want to go back to look at, which will be a snap if I have a short (I hope) list of subscriptions.

If you haven't yet checked it out, go take a look. If you've been here for a number of years, though, you may end up stunned the number of pages.

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Thank you Mike for the all your hard work keeping this forum up-to-date. Though they may change as you mentioned, so far looks and runs good. And I will go check out what the heck you are talking about Barbara :)

Hugs, Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Stephanie, click the gear symbol just above the blue bar, and then find Manage Subscriptions. You've been here long enough that I bet you'll have a wad of pages filled with threads you've subscribed to over the years. It's kind of startling.

Barbara

Postby PhotoMill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:03 pm

I for one, definitely like the look and feel. Wide screen works great at this end !!

Mike, is this still PHPbb ??

Best regards
...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:18 am

The super-long lines of text are the only things that bother me. By the time I get to the end of a line, I have trouble finding the beginning of the next. It's not much of a problem when paragraphs are really short, but if someone is either telling a tale or giving an in-depth explanation, my eyes have zoom more than 15 inches from the end back to the beginning. Imagine trying to read a novel with pages that are 1-1/4 feet wide! :shock:

Barbara

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:26 am

BarbaraC wrote:The super-long lines of text are the only things that bother me. By the time I get to the end of a line, I have trouble finding the beginning of the next. It's not much of a problem when paragraphs are really short, but if someone is either telling a tale or giving an in-depth explanation, my eyes have zoom more than 15 inches from the end back to the beginning. Imagine trying to read a novel with pages that are 1-1/4 feet wide! :shock:

I had to make a compromise on the width of the forum. The previous forum was a fixed width application that fit within a 1024x768 monitor resolution. For most people that's fine, but more and more people are updating to larger resolution settings and complain that the extra real estate is wasted when the forum doesn't fill the screen more.

The current forum format was set to allow the forum to expand all the way to the edge of the browser window by default. I modified it so it will expand out to a point, but not all the way so the problem Barbara was mentioning wouldn't be so extreme.

There are a couple of fixes if you want to change how it looks. One is to make your browser window smaller, and the other is to increase the font size while viewing the forum. Neither is perfect, but if the extra width is annoying you'll have to decide which is worse.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mike

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:53 am

In most cases, the line width isn't a huge problem, but when it is, I've learned to reduce the browser width. It's probably more a matter of getting used to this than it is anything else.

All in all, the new version is a huge improvement. Besides the easy-on-the-eye colors and the excellent navigation (plus managing subscriptions, of course), I could swear the site is running faster. The code must be leaner and meaner. :D

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:07 pm

Barbara,
I checked mine out and yes, will need to get that weeded down. LOL. But it's worth it. Probably will run across some ole' threads that I had completely forgot about and do a little reminiscing. :)

Hugs, Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Return to Odds & Ends