"Leap Motion" - state of the art input device!

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

"Leap Motion" - state of the art input device!

Postby debngar » Fri May 10, 2013 9:37 am

Just stumbled on this today. I can see this replacing other input devices such as the mouse and even a pen/tablet input device. It's not clear to me exactly how one controls minute strokes for tiny detail work in Lightroom or Photoshop but they may have that figured out and I just don't know how that's accomplished. I think it's fascinating how we now have the kind of technology shown in sci-fi movies such as Minority Report.

Allegedly ships on July 22nd - costs $79.

https://www.leapmotion.com/

Last edited by debngar on Sat May 11, 2013 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Re: "Leap Motion" - state of the art input device!

Postby DanMac » Fri May 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Very interesting would like to see and find out more about it. Seems as if it could really change the way we do some tasks.
Dan

Postby BarbaraC » Sat May 11, 2013 11:45 am

Great for people who still have a lot of manual dexterity. :D

But anyway, I wonder if it's more for playing than it is for down-and-dirty work.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Sun May 12, 2013 12:31 pm

BarbaraC wrote:Great for people who still have a lot of manual dexterity. :D

But anyway, I wonder if it's more for playing than it is for down-and-dirty work.

Barbara

The website provides quite a bit of information including a forum. The Architectual, Engingeering and Design global market alone is allegedly $7.2 trillion dollars which is not exactly chump change. That is just one application. I stumbled upon a number of other interesting related videos inside the forum.

Who knows, maybe we'll be using it to create slideshows in the future. :)
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Sun May 12, 2013 12:54 pm

debngar wrote:Who knows, maybe we'll be using it to create slideshows in the future. :)

I sure won't. I'm too much of an old fuddy-duddy. :mrgreen:

Barbara

Postby bob walden » Sat May 18, 2013 5:09 am

I kinda go along with Barbara. I can't even text with my old fingers and slow mind. It is cool though!!

Postby Dean Athans » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:02 pm

I still cannot confidently use a touch-pad! It's gotta be a mouse!

- Dean A.
Dean A

Postby duglas50 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Looks like a lot of work to me. My arms got tired just watching it. I think I'll stick to my trusty pen and tablet.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Postby silverfox » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:10 am

I am wondering how well that little gadget would work with Today's (6/24/2013) Giveaway of the Day - Project Dogwaffle Howler 8.2 (Special Edition)

Project Dogwaffle Howler lets you paint with a large number of natural media styles as well as unique medias like particle foliage, animated brushes and more. Tablet devices are fully supported.

There are advanced painting modes such as symmetry painting. There are a large number of filters that operate in real-time and full-screen. Also provided are video and animation tools such as a timeline, keyframer, batch scanning, cleanup, exposure sheet, rotoscoping, and motion tracking.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

The Fox always looking for the free goodies ....

Postby picsdude » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:23 am

Amazing, really very cool.

BUT it does involve a lot of gesticulation, and it seems it would be much more tiring for one to use than a mouse. All these pounds of flesh you would need to be hauling through the air, rather than dragging a hand across the table.

Cool, but really a pain in the neck to use.

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:19 am

The problem I see with it is that you can only use it with software specifically designed to work with it. No Photoshop, Proshow, Firefox, etc.

Looks fun, though.

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:28 pm

I was just over at the other forum I'm addicted to, and here's a quote from someone who indulged in Leap Motion: "Got it today. It works. Bored of it now." :D

Barbara

Postby bobradarbob » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:44 pm

I got mine on July 25th. The free apps are all that I have tested. Some apps work better than others. There are certain applications where this form of interface will work great. Special Education may find several uses. Games can benefit though consoles introduced this type interface several years ago. This device has precise tracking and allows some uses where the console tracking devices can't compete (yet). Two of the free apps are "Touch Interface" applications: One for Windows and the other for Macs. The app replaces the mouse on these two platforms.

I would hesitate to give any real "review" or assessment until I've had at least 6 months using it. I'll say this - it is very sanitary in an environment where many people would need to use it to control an electronic device. :))

Bob

Postby debngar » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:51 am

bobradarbob wrote: I'll say this - it is very sanitary in an environment where many people would need to use it to control an electronic device. :))
Bob

That aspect didn't occur to me but is certainly a plus. I remember in the early 80's when personal computers were first being used in the office where I worked. We had to share time on them as there were only a few for maybe 3 dozen people to use. Someone had a bad case of pink eye. I don't remember getting it at the time but quite a few people picked up that annoying stuff, most likely off the keyboards which were rarely cleaned/sanitized. Ugh. They were regularly wiped down after that!
Debbie

Return to Odds & Ends