Video files on a MAC?

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Video files on a MAC?

Postby tdew » Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 am

Hi, I'm not at all familar with MacIntosh computers, but gave a slide show on a DVD (it's fine) and also a DVD Disk with two HD Video files on it for computer use. The person I gave it to uses a Mac and doesn't know what to use to make it run. Help? please.

Re: Video files on a MAC?

Postby im42n8 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:32 am

The DVD should be playable on any DVD player software used to play movies either in a DVD player or DVD payer software (which the Mac has) -- that is, if you "Published" it as a standard definition video disk for TV playback. As for the HD Videos, any player on the Mac that can play HD Videos should work fine. Quicktime is the first player that comes to mind ... but there are others that should work fine.

The only thing that may not work fine is the playing of an EXE file. That would work only on the Mac that was booted up as a PC (or rather, the PC emulation).

If you gave your friend a PSH file ... nope, won't run (ProShow only runs on a Windows PC... also, the EXE is a container which runs the PX file and PXPlay ... which only runs in the PC environment).

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby tdew » Wed May 08, 2013 4:43 am

Thanks Dale, Yes the DVD works fine, but the user is not very familiar with the computer. What I gave her was a DVD disk with two HD video files on it (720 and 1080) I guess Quicktime is her answer. We'll see.

Postby Yanis » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm not sure if it's too late but you can also have them download VLC player to play the HD video file. It is a decent player and it's free.

If interested, here's the download site:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Peace,
Yanis :D

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:51 pm

I had a similar situation last week of what version to give to an Apple guy.

My solution was to
Publish/Video for Web,Devices and computers/iPad for Retina Display..selected profile 1080p and Create.

The file thus created was an mp4 format which played flawlessly on an iPad, apple laptob, and on Windows 7 with updated codecs. I got none of the jerky movements which I get when I created an exe.

So from now on I will do only mp4 versions as suitabel for both Apple and Windows.
regards.
pd

Return to Odds & Ends