Interesting tidbits ....

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Interesting tidbits ....

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 am

I just received my latest (May, 2013) "Videomaker" magazine and it has a number of things in there that should be of interest to photographers and people making slideshows.

The first handy tidbit is a FREE app for your iPhone or iPad called "Golden Light" - it will look at where you are and tell you when the "golden light" hours are around sunrise and sunset ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hou ... ography%29 for more info ). I have seen other calculators, but thought I would mention it here. That is the time of day to get those great pictures.

A second thing in the magazine was an article called "Top 10 editing mistakes to avoid" - many of them do not apply to what we are doing in the slideshows (unless we are also editing video files), a number of the mistakes do show up in the shows we create and are worth mentioning. The ones I saw that apply to many of us were:
1) poor audio mix - nothing ruins a show faster than a bad audio track. It is worth it to make it sound good.
2) improper pacing - music drives the pace of the production and the wrong music can really ruin the show - a slow paced show with slow transitions and long durations just does not work with your favorite fast paced music for example.
5) jump cuts and match frames - those are those where two successive images are very similar and they give you a funny feeling watching them as the view shifts "some" - better to use a different image between the two so you don't get that effect.
8) tacky transitions - in general, seeing how many different transitions you can use in a show, while cute, leaves the viewer somewhat less than impressed in general. In general, stick with a few selected transitions - you are creating a show about your images, not about transitions.
9) graphic violations - using multiple fonts in a single graphic, hard to read colors, low contrast between the text and the background etc. all make it hard to view and detract from the show.

The last article in there that should be interesting to those of us that generate shows for $$ was called "5 tips to impress your client" - most of it was common sense, but there were a number of good tips in there (like not arguing with the client and be prepared - don't show up for a meeting with your potential client with nothing working right and no information (pricing etc.) printed out so you can present them with what you are trying to sell. They have the money, you need to convince them that your services are worth their money.

Anyway, just some food for thought for folks on things that I found relevant to what we do here :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Re: Interesting tidbits ....

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:08 am

The top 10 listing had some of the basic do-nots that I think every last one of us did indeed do when we were new to ProShow, and since there are new people showing up all the time, the list can't grow old. Doesn't hurt to remind the rest of us either. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Sat May 04, 2013 10:20 am

Thanks for bringing this app up Mikey. I've had apps on my phone that relay sunrise and sunset info but, I don't remember them focusing on that special time of day. Could be I missed that detail and didn't take the time to look into it further.

Did you mean "Golden Hour" for the iphone? https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/golden-hour/id362345691

I searched for a similar one for Android and found "Golden Hour Calculator" in the Google Play Market. When I get the chance, I think I'll give it a try.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... VsYXRvciJd
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby gpsmikey » Sat May 04, 2013 11:53 am

Yes, "Golden Hour" is the normal term, but the Videomaker version was called "Golden Light". There are a number of calculators for it out there, I just happened to see that one in the magazine. Many folks have not heard of that term and often shoot at "high noon" which, for scenery shots is usually not the best time for pictures. The trick is for people to be aware of the best shooting times :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby duglas50 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:51 pm

I've been using the Golden Light app for quite awhile now and love it. Comes in handy when your traveling as the Golden Hour can be quite different as your traveling to different parts of the country and depending on the time of year. Just plug in your location and it gives you the morning and evening times the golden hour will occur for your particular location.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Return to Odds & Ends