Really not Pro Show Related but need help :-)

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Honorary ProShow PHD

Really not Pro Show Related but need help :-)

Postby Penny47 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:08 pm

I know this is not related to Pro show, but am hoping that someone can message me and help me out. I am trying to work out how to do a PDF file with lots of pages in other words kind of like making a book/document. I am sorry to post this here but don't now where else to go.... you guys are always so good with most anything around.

Many thanks Penny

Re: Really not Pro Show Related but need help :-)

Postby debngar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:39 pm

I haven't done a large project using PDF format. But I've made PDF files. If you have MS Word, you can hover over the "save as" area in the dropdown menu and choose to save as a ".PDF" file type, instead of a ".doc" file type. I don't know all that much about them other than that though.

Also in Word, you can click on the question mark ("help") and type pdf in the search box to find out other information to see if there is anything else in the help documentation that might be useful to you.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Thanks Debbie I will give it a try I was using the Adobe program and my one is very old

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:20 pm

Depending on what format your existing "document" is in, (Word or ???) there is also the free "PDFCreator" that works fairly well ( http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator ) - I often use it to save stuff from a web page for example - it installs itself as another "printer" in windows and you can select it just like it was an existing printer.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:57 pm

MIkey, that sounds good I will get it, but I don't think it is going to help me, I should have explained better. My daughter came round with a 20 odd page document that she wanted me to convert into PDF file so she could e-mail it to her accountant, Now I now this can be done, but she did not want separate pages she wanted the pages to run one after the other in the same document. Hope that makes more sense. The converting is not the problem its getting it all into one file as one document to be read.

cheers Penny

Postby debngar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:35 pm

I think I may have steered you wrong a bit. First try saving the copy/pasted document as a Word DOC file, then do a "save as" pdf file (still in Word). I think this is because the pdf is read only. I can't open my pdf files to edit them, but it seems they can be read or printed if I double click on them in Windows explorer.

If you're working from multiple pages/documents to one, you'll have to open each one to do the copy and pasting of course. But it should all go into the one file just fine.

In fact, save it as a document file first and then do the "save as" again as the pdf and you'll have two documents but just in different formats. If you have to go back to make changes, you open the .doc file to edit it, then save and then also do another save as the pdf file too.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby jlwilm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Penny,

If you follow thru on Mikeys link, there is also a reference to PDFArchitect that "merges" files. May or may not work out.
John

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:14 pm

The free utility I referenced (PDFCreator) also includes another utility called "images2pdf" that allows you to grab a bunch of images and create a PDF file from them if you are interested. You do need to be careful when installing the pdfcreator - another of those silly things that you need to watch - if you take the defaults, it will install some sort of hotspot shield, set your search engine to BING and set MSN as your home page. Sigh - but it does work well.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby heckydog » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:50 pm

On my Epson 2480 scanner, if I select PDF as the output type, it will pop up a window after each page scan that gives me the option to add pages. This allows me to make one pdf file with many pages. When I'm done adding pages I can save the file as is or edit the pages. Works like a charm for me. Back in the day, before I did my taxes online I would use that method to print one pdf file that contained all my tax documents.

Of course this assumes you are going to scan the documents to create the pdf file . . . . .and that your scanner has that option :D

Joe

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks Joe I am going to look into my printer as well. I have 2 Epson's but not the model you have. I am going to spend the week-end playing with this PDF thing can't let it beat me. My husband says I should let me daughter do it herself but hey I am retired and it gives me something to do while we are having some not great weather. So thank you all for your suggestions etc. Will let you know how I go :-)

Cheers Penny

Postby trulytango » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:08 pm

I use Primo PDF by Nitro PDF software (FREE). The installation provides the user with both a PDF viewer AND a PDF creator.

Essentially, what I have ended up with is a couple of little icons/shortcuts on my Desktop, one of which is labelled 'Primo PDF - Drop Files', the other is the PDF viewer. To use it, all I have to do is drag and drop a saved document or image from my Desktop into the the first one, including multiple page Word documents, and the document displays in the PDF viewer ready to be Saved/finalised as a PDF.

Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby tdew » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:46 am

Not a free application, but I use Paperport. It allows me to stack a bunch of different documents into one .pdf file.

Postby Astra » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:28 am

Penny,

"Adobe Acrobat" is the program, which will do exactly, what you are describing.

It will allow "multipages" = pages following one-after-other (& linked together) -
and all of these pages are in ONE PDF file.
.... (You could also re-arrange the order of the pages, delete some & also add new ones.)

Alex

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks Alex, I am sure I used to have that program will check and see if it is still on one of my PC's.

Penny

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:48 pm

I would just like to say a BIG thank you to you all for all the help in getting this program going, I now have it and it works a treat. Thank you all again.

Penny

Next

Return to Odds & Ends