Moire - Flickering

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Moire - Flickering

Postby Bevie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:20 am

I'm working on a slideshow right now that has mostly 'homes' in it. Which means a lot of lines -a lot of detail and horizontal and vertical lines.

I'm using full frame whenever possible with either no style or a slow pan or zoom and I am getting moire on every one of my images that is not no style.

Moire seems to be a problem across the board in no matter what slidshow program people use. And the solutions to moire are numerous but with little success. I've spent a lot of time on different forums and looking up other information on the web about this and have come to the conclusion - if try a solution and it works - you just got lucky.

My question is not how to fix the problem of moire but why does a slideshow look fantastic on YouTube or in QuickTime and then when you download it and watch it on your computer or TV it then has the dreaded moire patterns in it.
:roll:

I've tried lowering the dpi of my images - resizing them - adding blur (but what is the point doing that when your aiming for HD). I've tried downloading to HD 1080 - HD 720 and SD DVD ISO. It seems like I've tried it all except making every slide - a no style slide.

So what do you think?
ProShow User since 2013 - ProShow Producer 6 - Novice

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGalleryPage

Mac 10.6.8
Proshow Producer 6 - Parallels 8 - Windows 7
Photoshop CS4

Re: Moire - Flickering

Postby Bevie » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Just an update.

I still don't know what YouTube does to eliminate moire - I'm just glad that they do.

But for anyone out there who may be experiencing the same problems I had with moire all I can say is Blu Ray.

This afternoon I invested in a BluRay burner for my computer. A few hundred dollars later, upgrading my Toast 10 to Toast 11, a new Blu Ray burner and Blu Ray discs - I know have a show I believe my client will be happy with.

I had the chance to speak to a tech guy today and he explained to me what 'my problem' was. Most of it went over my head but one thing I can say with confidence is that if you are having trouble with moire and you are using ProShow Web, try Blu Ray - you won't be sorry :D

And Pro Show - it would be so great if you would offer a few short, and understandable tutorials about moire on the blog. Pretty Please :(

Mac 10.6.8
Photoshop CS4

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:03 pm

Unfortunately, as you have discovered, it is not a simple problem ... well, actually, the problem is fairly straight forward, it is the solution that is not simple. One "solution" that will cut down on the problem is do add a slight amount of Gaussian blur to the image. Sharp images (with fine detail) that were taken with a digital camera show the effect when displayed on something that also has a digital display (like LCD monitors/TV's). If you look at the pixels in the sensor in the camera, they are arranged in a grid. Same thing applies to the display for your computer - when the array of pixels in the sensor and the pixels in the display don't all line up and you have fine detail, you get some pixels in the sensor that miss the detail and some in the display that miss the detail. Film tended not to do that because the "pixels" are distributed randomly across the emulsion. Try taking a picture of the LCD TV with the image filling the viewfinder - now zoom in and out on the image on the display on the back - you will see the classic interference between the pixels in the TV, the sensor pixels and the display on the camera pixels. Fine detail makes the problem worse - softening the image a bit will help although there is not a perfect answer. A higher resolution sensor (in the camera) will also help cut down on the problem.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Bevie » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:36 am

Thanks Mikey :D All good advice. When I was first trying to solve this problem I thought the 'sharpening' that had been done to the images in Photoshop might also have been part of the problem.

My husband is a commercial photographer and a professional friend of his observed that as digital cameras create sharper images moire becomes more of a problem.

Hearing the two of them talk "shop' gives me a headache :lol:

Any idea why YouTube does such a great job with videos :?:

I do have to say that if you are having problems with moire and have given up trying- try Blu Ray :)

Mac 10.6.8
Photoshop CS4

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:30 pm

I has to do with the fact that SD DVD is 720*480 pixels while blueray is higher resolution - this allows it to handle finer details without the "aliasing" that is happening between the pixels in the image and the pixels on the tv and the pixels in the video. you can get the same effect looking through a couple of window screens back to back - as you move a screen or your point of view, you will see what it is doing to the image. There are also other factors that affect the "sample rate" of the image and in a SD format, it is usually interleaved (where each half of the scan is 1/2 resolution) although I have not played with that much.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to Odds & Ends