Duplication and Duplicators - your thoughts?

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Duplication and Duplicators - your thoughts?

Postby sasha123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:49 am

Hello all.... I have seen some older posts regarding duplication & duplicators, but I imagine some of the technology/models have changed in the past couple years - so I figured I'd throw it out there! I'm considering buying a duplicator, since I have now had a few clients that have needed multiple copies (>30 etc) and with some proposals I am currently writing, there may be more in the future! I have been sending them away for duplication but I live in a rural area, so shipping, turnaround times, profit margin, etc are all impacted. Thinking it may be time to do it myself, although I'm not sure how many jobs I would need to do in order to pay for the equipment!

Do any of you have experience with particular brands, models etc - and do you still use IMG Burn with the duplicator? (I use IMG as well as TY discs - and an Epson printer for the disc printing). ANy thoughts would be appreciated - this forum is the best :)

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Duplication and Duplicators - your thoughts?

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:49 pm

It depends on what you are doing. The technology has not changed much. Most of the duplicators that I have seen have local hard drives that can create and store your DVD image. These devices are typically standalone and require no computer intervention. the advantage of the Hard Drive is that it frees up one more DVD to burn from. Also, the ability to stream data from a hard drive is much faster than from a DVD player. I borrowed one from a friend that had 7 DVD burners. I was able to make 50 copies in less than one hour for a swim team slide show The show was 30 minutes in length. They are great pieces of equipment and the costs have come down. If I was in the market, I would consider getting one that was capable of HiDef. This would drive the cost up due to the more expensive DVD drives to burn Blu-Ray. Many people will tell you that blu-ray/DVDs are obsolete and everyone will be streaming data in the near future. This is something to consider before investing a considerable amount of money.

Regards,
-Vernon

Return to Odds & Ends