Favicon is driving me nuts!!!

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Favicon is driving me nuts!!!

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 am

I've changed the favicon for The Frame Locker, and I've done everything I can think of to get the new one to show up when I bookmark the site, but the old, non-existent favicon inevitably shows up in Firefox. Here's what I've done so far:

Emptied the cache from all three of my browsers just in case one was affecting the other. Then opened Firefox, deleted the bookmark, closed Firefox, cleared the cache again just to make sure, and then off to my site to bookmark. Old favicon. (Even though the new one shows in the tab.)

Deleted the favicon wherever found in whatever Windows 7 calls the Documents section. I ran a search and found all instances, deleting every last blasted one. Ran through the cache-clearing stuff again. No dice.

Did the old trick of going to my URL and adding /favicon.ico at the end, refreshed, closed Firefox, cleared cache, reopened, re-bookmarked and... Yes, you guessed it. Old favicon.

Granted this isn't a big deal, but I'm getting really ticked off. Where the devil is that crusty old favicon.ico file hiding?! If I can find it, I'll hang it by its toes.

:evil: Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: Favicon is driving me nuts!!!

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:51 am

Not having played with that feature of a web page, I can only guess, but two things come to mind - is it being cached on the server somewhere ? I would assume you have done a full search of your system for that file ?

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 am

Nope, it's not on the server. If it were, the new favicon wouldn't show up in the tab, which it does. Also, bookmarking the site in both Chrome and IE results in the correct favicon. It's just in Firefox where I can't get rid of it, which says that it's being stored somewhere on my own computer. But where?!

Barbara

RESOLVED

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 am

A stealth attack did it. I downloaded a page from my site, opened the downloaded page, bookmarked it, saw that it had the new favicon, then edited the bookmark so it pointed at theframelocker.com, and ta-dah! I no longer have to stare at what doesn't exist.

(I'm still ticked about it, though.)

Barbara

NOT RESOLVED

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:51 am

I guess one good stealth move deserves another. The favicon changed its own self back to the old one.

I give up.

Barbara

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 pm

SOLVED.

I asked on the music forum I belong to if anyone knew how to deal with this. I asked there because the place is crawling with (hilarious) geeks. I was told where the favicons are secretly stored, which is in a file called places.sqlite inside the Mozilla folder, and the only way to edit it is with SQLite for which there's a Firefox add-on. So, I added it and was then able to go in and find the old favicon, delete it, and be done with it.

It's the stupid little things in life that consume so much energy that could be better used elsewhere.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:47 pm

And, at our age, by the time we have solved that issue, we have forgotten why we started down this path in the first place !! :twisted:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Like walking into the kitchen and wondering why we're there, deciding we must have meant to eat something, and then a half hour later, remembering we went there to grab the sponge to clean the front of the file drawer, so we go back into the kitchen and wonder...

Forgetfulness is fattening.

Barbara

Return to Odds & Ends