Slide Show to USB

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Slide Show to USB

Postby dimi_arachi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Any One done this ?

I want to create highlight slide show, copy to USB.
Want to run the USB straight to the TV on the USB input to play.

What format should I do?
How do I go about setting this up?
Hi I am New

Re: Slide Show to USB

Postby cherub » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:11 pm

Do you mean to say that you want to use a DiskOnKey ?
I haven't done this before, but logically, I think that outputting your show to any video format that your TV is capable of reading, will do.
Could be avi, or mpg or mp4 - or anything else that your TV reads.
Just make sure that your final output (the video file) is not larger than the capacity of the DisKOnKey that you are using.

Postby im42n8 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:41 pm

You ARE likely to have a problem with the data transfer rate of the USB port. . . I have doubts that the transfer rate is going to be fast enough from the flashdrive to give you smooth running video. You'll want to try it out FIRST before you run it in front of a bunch of people.

You'll probably find that you'll want to copy the video file from the flashdrive to the hard disk. You're liable to get a much better data transfer rate. (less choppy video and/or hesitation.

dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby dickmr » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Many of the newer large screen tv's have internal players that will play video from a thumb drive. In the past they
usually only supported playing images and/or music. Not all tv's have players which support video, but you seem to know that yours does.

I have two Samsung's, a 32 inch and a 46 inch that I use to play videos made with ProShow Producer. I also use thumbs
to directly play edited home video, youtube downloads, and even high def movies etc. The Samsung player seems to play most formats, but a few it cannot. For example, a wmv from ProShow won't be recognized on mine, whereas, if it is wmv from Movie Maker it will play it. Very strange....but I normally produce video in Mpeg2 or MP4. I've never noticed a difference in quality. I generally like the look of 16:9 widescreen in 1280 x 720 Mpeg2, it looks great and is very smooth.

The Samsung players, at least, are very powerful, since there is no stalling, stuttering, or buffering while playing. I don't know about other tv's. I have a large passport external drive that holds all my videos, generally as backup, but I use it to attach to a tv USB port Those include weddings, reunions, special requests, and my everyday type slideshows. If your tv does have a player which can play from a thumb drive, you could produce your video in several types so you can compare. I generally like to have mine in one format...I often will use a video editor to
do further editing...i.e. inserting video, film grain, contrast, etc. Thumb drives are getting cheaper...have fun!

Postby dimi_arachi » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:51 am

Thanks Dickme.......Great explanation
This was exactly what I was looking for. One of the wedding video guy told me that he gives the wedding video in a passport USB drive to play directly on TV . Told me that it's better quality than DVD disk, ( I think) told not full hi def.
Also, hi gives highlights in USB.
What work flow do you use?

1. Out put the show as what format
2. next step
Hi I am New

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:19 pm

No, the first step is for you to find out what video format(s) your TV will accept when running off the USB memory. Without that information, which we don't know, there's not much anyone can tell you beyond the suggestions you've already gotten.

As to how it looks, well that depends on what you did when creating the video. It might be a lot better than a DVD or it might not be--but first, you need to find look up the information in the manual for the TV or look online for the information.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby PhotoBob » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:34 am

I have burned my videos to a DVD and I then have copied them to a SD memory card. Once I have them on a SD memory card, I was able to run my videos without any problems on my Asus tablet. The videos run great on my tablet and there is no jerking in the motion or anything of that sort. I have not found a way to burn them directly to a SD memory card but I am working on finding a software that will do burn them in that manner, that way I could cut out one extra step..

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:12 am

If you created a video DVD (not a DATA dvd) then you are basically creating mpeg2 video files, however, if it is standard DVD format, then you are limited to the 720*480 format of the SD format. If you create mp4 files for example, you can go higher definition which as other have pointed out, many of the newer TV's can play direct. If you are just working with SD DVD's, creating a mpeg2 file with the SD specs could be put directly on the thumb drive.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby PhotoBob » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks...
Producer V5, PS CS6, Lightroom 5, Olympus OMD E-M5
BS Ed Indiana State university, MS Ed Indiana University

Return to Odds & Ends