Thinking about upgrading to Windows 8

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Thinking about upgrading to Windows 8

Postby rono1971 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:47 am

It about time to buy a new notebook and a lot of the new notebook comes with Windows 8 (dell). has anyone upgraded to Windows 8? Attempted to search this site with not much info.

Thanks
RonO

Re: Thinking about upgrading to Windows 8

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:48 pm

I know of only one person here who upgraded. Seems thoroughly pleased with it, but you have to remember that what's good for one may not be good for another. The latest version of Producer was tweaked to work with Windows 8, so at least you don't have to worry about that.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Just my $.02.

I know two people who bought machines that came with Win8 and both of them dislike it intensely--this from people who loved Win7. I've used one of their machines for a bit and was confused by it in the same way Vista was (and is) confusing but Win7 wasn't and isn't. I'm sure if we're forced to we'd get used to it and maybe like it but I'm hoping Win9 will be out before I get there (and hoping it will be more to my liking). One thing all the reviewers have said is that Win8 is optimized for the tablet market and works well there. I have yet to see anyone advise a current Win7 user to "upgrade."

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Dick, I've seen the same sorts of comments, and it's made me wonder why Microsoft didn't design it so we could choose whether the OS was being used on a regular computer or a tablet. Since they've come out with their own tablet, do they think they can push everyone into giving up all the work they do, hand over more money to Microsoft, and just fool around on tablets?

Barbara

Postby silverfox » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:46 pm

Windows8 works best with touch screen monitor. On other computers the Start Menu is the biggest issue.
You may want to install a add-on which makes Windows8 act on the surface same as Windows7 but provides the power and dependability that Windows8 has.
I have to say I personally use Windows8 start menu - however all my associates are using start menu add-on.
The 2 used are (there are others):
ViStart
http://lee-soft.com/vistart/windows-8-start-menu.html
Start8
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

If you are getting new computer-get Windows8, if you are currently using Windows7, I recommend not upgrading until Microsoft upgrades it (I am assuming they are going to). However, we are not sorry we upgraded our office to Windows8 from Windows7.

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:23 am

I've never much liked change. It's easier to navigate through life when we know where everything is so we don't trip over it. That said, when change occurs, fighting against it is usually futile, and we do better by accepting it. Eventually, we'll all have to use Windows 8 or 9 or whatever, but I'm happy at the back of the line. :D

Barbara

Postby bigsewed » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Upgraded from W7 to W6 and it Producer is running very well...

Postby stahlss » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Just a suggestion, but if you get stuck with a Windows 8 computer use the Window/Start key (between the Ctrl and Alt keys on most keyboards) + D and you will land back to the Windows 7 type desktop and familiar territory for running Photodex and other of your programs.

I have Win 7 on one of my computers and Win 8 on another in order to answer questions about Win 8 at a Senior Center in Albuquerque. Also Linux distributions on another computer, that is another story!

Good Luck.

Don Stahl

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:42 am

stahlss wrote:...use the Window/Start key (between the Ctrl and Alt keys on most keyboards) + D and you will land back to the Windows 7 type desktop and familiar territory for running Photodex and other of your programs.

So, hitting the Windows key is all that's necessary?! Truly, how easy! For someone who does things the way I do, which is to have all my constantly used programs sitting in the quick-launch area, hitting a single key is no problem, given that it would be so rarely used. :D

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:02 am

I can count Barbara, it's not a single key, it's two keys. 'Windows'+D. 8) , but just as easy.
Although 'both at the same time', maybe counts as a single key press for a multi-tasking woman, and two for a single tasking man. :D
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:23 am

Brian,it's currently 7:20 a.m. here, and I'm not allowed to count until noon.

Sad, but true.

Barbara

P.S. I wonder what the "D" is a mnemonic for. Doodad? Decapitated? What?!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:54 am

D for Doomed.
It's 21/12/12 tomorrow! What ever you do don't press those two keys tomorrow, never know what you may start! :D :D
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:09 am

:shock:

Postby tomcran » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:50 am

I recently got a new computer and upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 8. At first I hated Windows 8. When it first signs on, you come to a "Start" page, which is filled with squares and rectangles and totally contrary to anything I would ever want on a computer. And if you go to Internet Explorer you get a full screen, no favorites list option, no tool bars, and a totally un-user friendly, unintuitive interface.

Then, through a Bing search (didn't have Google yet - Windows tries to force Bing down your throat), I learned about the "DESKTOP" option. (The Windows 8 tutorial on the "Start" page says nothing about this).

One of the big rectangles on "Start" says "Desktop" and you just click on that and you get to a place where I have set it up to look almost exactly like my Windows XP, with minimal difficulty. And when you go to Internet Explorer from Desktop, you get a completely different interface than by going there from Start. Much more user friendly and intuitive.

And ProShow producer 5.0.3297 works beautifully with Windows 8. By the way, on my old computer, while rendering a video, it would say "using two processors". Now it says it is using eight!!(I have 16 GB ram, an i7 processor, and a 1GB dedicated graphics card.)

Return to Odds & Ends