Lag time for forum graphics

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Site Admin

Re: Lag time for forum graphics

Postby MG - Admin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Yes, Rotchana and I arrived home late on the 27th. Been a bit of a whirlwind trying to get her settled in a little before I had to return to work.

As far as house cleaning goes, I remove all of the inactive accounts at the end of each month, and the database gets optimized as well. Not much more I can do other than deleting content, which isn't really an option.

Mike

Postby im42n8 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:09 pm

For the past several days, including today, I get the text first and then the style sheets kick in and all is fine. But tonight, I get a rapid loading of the full page (complete with styling) without seeing the text stuff first.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby tdew » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:12 pm

I'm not seeing the problems others seem to be having.
I've got Verizon's fios and chrome if that matters at all.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:40 am

This morning, it loaded fast enough that I saw no background coding. For all we know, things were so busy for a while that, unless we lived in just the right spot and somehow in a direct line with the server, the site came to us via Siberia. :D That said, this site has always been slow to load for me.

We expect, Mike, to see slide shows from you. Maybe a romantic tale or two. Definitely one that welcomes a new child. Hmm... On second thought, you may not have time for such things when you become a daddy. Better do a show really, really soon!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:56 am

Hey Mike - welcome home and glad you finally got thing worked out. Who knows just where things are getting slowed up on the odd days, but this has always been a great forum ! Thanks for providing it for us :D Let's see a couple of shows from your travels !

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:34 am

Mike and Barbara --

This morning I'm seeing what, I think, Barbara's describing. I get the screen appearing in sections top to bottom in 3-4 steps. The entire thing is quick, no more than a second or so, but it's interesting that I hadn't noticed it until now. It's really not an issue but it's odd.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:24 am

Dick, I'm seeing the same as you right now, but maybe when this is combined with my own speed slowing down, it could be why I see just the text without any of the graphics. If such a thing is going to happen, this is certainly a prime time of year for it.

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:01 am

Mike G,

FYI. Now I'm occasionally (last night and again just now) seeing what Barb saw -- the text in the CSS/HTML renders then the graphics fill in. I'm also seeing longer than usual page load times. My guess is that somethings changed the loading on the server and it's not likely to be this site. Perhaps they've added a site to the server or the load on some other site has gone up dramatically.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:21 am

Yeah, me to last night and this morning. Time for me to make coffee and see if I am awake yet :lol:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby cherub » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:49 am

Yes, the forum is loading very slowly for me too.

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:55 am

Seeing the actually folder or file listing first, then a very slow drawing in of the graphics. Definitely something happening on the server.

Barbara

Postby tdew » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:03 am

It's not happening here. Everything is normal.

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:16 am

tdew wrote:It's not happening here. Everything is normal.

Absolutely consistent for me now. Once I'm here, if I create a new tab for the forum, it loads quickly, but the initial load reveals the bones of the forum. Seems quicker in Chrome than in Firefox.

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:29 pm

I think the variations may have to do with how the browser handles its cache. Don't know but it's consistent at this point--first access after a restart of the browser shows the behavior. Subsequent access in a browser session doesn't show the CSS/HTML but does the ripple loading the page. Odd.
Dick

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Just now I gave a try to first going to another forum I belong to and then coming here. Same super-slow loading of first the file listing, then some of the HTML etc., and final graphic by graphic. Granted, my cache is automatically cleared when I close the browser, which means that going from the other forum to here was no different from going directly here.

It all gives me the feeling that, at some point, the forum is going to just plain not load. :(

Barbara

PreviousNext

Return to Odds & Ends