Urgent Help required Please

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Honorary ProShow PHD

Urgent Help required Please

Postby Penny47 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:03 pm

My grand daughter has done 7 small videos (about 76MB each) I need to reduce them so I can e-mail them on to some lady that needs them. (this is for a big competition that they are doing) I have had a look on line but can't find a FREE program that will convert from AVI to Mpeg I was hoping that someone here might know of a simple one that can do this for me. Trying to sip them has not helped as they seem to stay the same size.

Thanks in advance

Penny

Re: Urgent Help required Please

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:26 pm

There is a limit to how far you can compress video - in this case, it is going to depend on a number of factors like image size, frame rate and things like that - if this is HD or even SD stuff (720*480 for example), you are not going to get down to something you can email. To get the size down significantly, compression is one part of the equation (you don't say what format they are in now), also re-rendering with a lower frame rate and/or smaller image size. It depends on what you have now and what the requirements are on the other end. Another option would be one of the free transfer sites (dropbox.com is one) where you could upload the video and the person on the other end can download it. Sorry to be vague, but it is like saying "I need a better car" without knowing what you have and what you need.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:36 pm

LOL thanks Mikey, I am sorry about that but I did not do the video and (this is something our daughter always does to me) of course it is required fast. I will try the dropbox you mentioned it maybe the best way. I am not happy about sending an e-mail that is 77MB in size. Especially as I do not know what the other end can take. I will also try and see what camera etc was used and let you know.

Penny

Postby Astra » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Penny,
Emails have very often limitiation, how big files they could recieve ( usualy it is 5-15 Mb).
If you files are 77 Mb - you could run in problem - your file will not be accepted.

But - one thing I could recommend:
you could try to send your files thru "YouSendIt" - they have "Trial" Free version.
(I do not know, how big file it will take in Trial - we have subscription - it works very well, you could send (& receive almost any size - largest one I've got was 900Mb. Took some time to download & upload, too).
Here is the link:
https://www.yousendit.com/

Hope it will help.
Astra/Alex

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Astra/Alex,
Thanks for the advice, I am afraid I have just learnt a very hard lesson. Don't try and e-mail a large file. My laptop crashed big time and I have spent hours with a friends husband getting it all sorted. So I have given up, I have told my daughter she needs to find a way to send the files herself. She always leaves everything to the last minute. So I am going to forget about it all but will make a note of the link you have mentioned as well. I might need it one day for myself.

Penny

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:50 am

Bookmark the links given above, and then add these:

https://www.transferbigfiles.com/

https://www.wetransfer.com/

https://sizablesend.com/

Dropping it back in your daughter's lap seems appropriate, but in the future, you may have need of a file transfer service, and you'll be able to choose one from the bookmarks.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:09 am

Thank you Barbara, I think you may be right about needing a place for posting big files. I often have something that I would like to show my sister who lives in south Africa and that would be a great way to enable her to view videos that I want to share with her.

Penny

Postby PhotoMill » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:02 pm

I'll add one to Barbara's list:

www.sendbigfiles.com

I have a paid version of: www.transferbigfiles.com and use it often. Both of these companies have free versions and I am sure you will find one that can accommodate your needs. The other thing you might want to pay attention to is your ISP restrictions on upload bandwidth. It just "might" cost you a couple of dollars but not much more than that. If you have unlimited upload and download bandwidth then it won't cost a cent.

Good Luck !!

...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks for the Link Steve and the info.

Penny

Postby Livonne » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:11 am

I also use dropsend.com and have found it great.. I send large slideshows and usually they are an avi format.. good luck :)

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:43 am

Maybe I should add this growing list to my "Resources" page, given that most of us have periodic need for a way to transfer elephant-sized files.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to Odds & Ends