Frankenstorm

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Frankenstorm

Postby obeeone » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:34 pm

G'day to all you US East coasters

Hope you all make it through the storm ok, looks pretty bad on the live coverage we are seeing here in Oz.

Stay safe

Carl
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Frankenstorm

Postby DickK » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Worst appears to have been in New Jersey and New York City. I'm a bit south and a bit inland (Virginia near Washington DC) from those and compared to them we got off lightly with some winds in the 50mph or so area and a huge amount of rain. A few trees down and lots of power outages, though not my house so far. Will be a major mess to clean up in the next few days then the storm will just keep being a problem all week as it tracks right up the Potomac River watershed which is expected to trigger even worse flooding later this week. Could have been lots worse here, though.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:09 am

Up here in the capital of New York, we weren't touched. We had just a bit of rain and some wind--normal for this area. I have the news on as I'm typing and can see the devastation south of me. It's downright awful and will take a long time to get electricity back for an enormous number of people, to clean up mud and water, and to repair the damage. I'm still waiting to hear what happened to the subway system in NYC because the water flowing in was salt water, which is extremely corrosive.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby tdew » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:37 am

Northern NJ - Everyone is fine, but we have no power and probably won't until at least 5 days more have past.
To come to my son's house (less than 10 miles) took us about 2 hours, as we had to keep finding that we could not go through the streets and had to keep changing direction. I'm here now and am charging my phone and checking the internet. Trees and wires are down. Schools are closed at least until Friday. Nothing has been decided past Thursday at this point. NO Trick or Treating Statewide - until a better date can be figured out.

The NJ Shore towns and NY waterfronts took a big, big hit.

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:26 am

It's excellent that, no matter how long it took you to get there, you had a place to go to. It often amazes me how just a short distance can make such difference when it comes to storms. Considering the size of the beast, it seems I'm not all that far away from where you are, and yet we were pretty much untouched.

Keep warm, dry, and remember to laugh in spite of Mother Nature--the witch.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:14 pm

How about rescheduling Halloween for election day - talk about ghosts and goblins and all sorts of other nasties out there :lol:

Glad you made it to a secure location :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby GabBill » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:19 am

I'm in western Long Island, about 3-4 miles from the Long Island Sound. I'm very lucky to be up on a hill so historically we've been very lucky.
This is the first time in the 13 years we've lived here that we've been without power for more than a couple-three hours. It's an inconvenience to be sure. But that's the extent of it for me. No damage to our house. No flooding. Every time I think how lousy it is to lose poewr, I think about my not too distant Long Island neighbors who lost it all. I then put on a sweatshirt and read a book.
Canon 20D
PS CS3
PSP
http://www.myphotosinmotion.com

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:33 am

Yes, you're very lucky. I've seen the devastation on the news, and just can't imagine what it must be like to stand looking at your home where all the memories now lie in rubble. I have a friend in Elmira, NY who got hit back in the 60's when a hurricane came up the coast and then inland the way this one did. She got out in just the nick of time before the flood waters rose up to the second floor. She grabbed her baby, her cat, and nothing else, but she was happy. She still had what was most important to her. I've never forgotten her attitude.

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby nantory » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:06 am

I live on the South Shore of Long Island in Nassau County- we just got electricity back yesterday and there are still many without it. I was born and raised on Long Island and have nevery seen anything cause the damage that this storm has caused. I have 5 family members who virtually lost their homes. Things are slowly getting back to normal for many, but the people who were closest to the water, will probably not see normal until well into the new year.

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:50 am

I'll bet being able to turn on a lamp, hear the refrigerator hum, and be able to watch TV commercials feels like heaven. Even if you have a generator, it's not the same. We have one, and the noise alone is enough to drive you insane, but at least it means light, heat, and fresh food.

As is always true in this country, ordinary people are reaching out, giving whatever they can of money, supplies, and labor. They always do a far better job than Washington, which gets tied up in knots of red tape.

Barbara

Postby GabBill » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:19 am

I'm also in Nassau County. I got my electricity back on Sunday. ONLY because we live near a school and they had to get it online for the elections. I feel very fortunate to have it back. Many, many don't. My phones, cable and internet are still down, but I don't care. I'll deal with that.

Not to minimize the depth and seriousness of this storm, which held drastic consequences for many New Yorkers and New Jerseans, we now have a gas shortage reminiscent of the seventies fuel crisis. Long lines and short tempers. Getting to and from work has become problematic for many.

All this and now we're facing a Nor Easter.

Best to all,
Bill
Canon 20D
PS CS3
PSP
http://www.myphotosinmotion.com

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:06 pm

I remember those gas lines, and I also remember how much theft there was, siphons being used to steal gas from people's cars. I've been wondering the past few days if any of this is going on down there in the city.

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby nantory » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

The siphoning is starting. Also, it isn't bad enough that people have lost most of what they once called home, now they are dealing with people going around at night stealing belongings from the vacant houses. It's unbelievable the stories I am hearing! My husband is on line for gas right now-he's been gone for over an hour-the worst thing about the lines is that you don't even know if they will still have gas when you finally make it.

Postby tdew » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:38 pm

We got power back on Monday night and it felt like a great luxury to have heat. Our schools are still closed - closed again tomorrow because two of them still have no power and there are still trees and wires down in the streets around the High school / middle school. Voting was moved to the schools that could be open. The library is still without power.

Seeing the pictures of the devastation in the NJ shore towns and the coastal areas of NYC and Long Island is horrible. It sure puts your own troubles into perspective. I'm hoping this new storm turns out to be a dud and doesn't cause those poor people any more trouble.

Still no Halloween here and though there are still lines for gasoline, they don't look to be as bad as they were. I think the Odd/Even system has helped, as well as the restoration of power to some of the stations that had gas but couldn't pump it.

Return to Odds & Ends