WINDOWS 8 PRO

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

WINDOWS 8 PRO

Postby silverfox » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:14 am

For anyone interested:

Just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro - so far so good!

Proshow Producer 5 Works!

So far ... programs work without problem - all devices (printers-scanner-etc) work fine.

Easy Upgrade.

the fox is still testing ... if problems occur will post.

Re: WINDOWS 8 PRO

Postby Oldguy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:29 am

Thanks, I have been wondering about Win 8.
Keep us posted

Thanks again

Forrest

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:54 am

What I'd like to know, once you've spent some time with it, is if there are any benefits to upgrading. Microsoft touts it as the best thing since the Big Bang, but who believes Microsoft? :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby silverfox » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:59 am

So far Windows 8 Pro and Proshow Producer works great - completed 1 show and uploaded to YouTube - no problems. All old programs that I have tested work fine.
After a few hours of using 8 I do like it - can't give specifics - maybe I like change :-).

Barb, I am not one to ask about upgrading since I have upgraded every new version of Microsoft operating system since MS-DOS
However, my advise would be if you have a newer computer and plan to keep it for a time, upgrade to Windows 8 while you can get the Pre-order $40 price (Amazon, Staples, etc)
If you have older computer an plan to buy new one in future - stick with current operating system. The computer I upgraded to Windows 8 is 4 year old 64 bit quad processor, upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate.

The Fox is still digging

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:35 am

I think I'll play the wait-and-see game. I lost some beloved software when going from XP to Win 7, and I don't want to lose anything else. I tend always to be the last to adopt whatever the newest thing is, caution being my personal OS. :D

Barbara

Postby silverfox » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Sounds a lot like my wife ..... she fights change! - but my motto is " you only live once so go for it"

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Change is fine, but not when it leads to spending 100's or even 1000's because of software incompatibilities. I've experienced this again and again with every Windows version, which doesn't lead to a lot enthusiasm. Your wife is right. Some people pick their fights; your wife and I prefer picking our changes. :D

Barbara

Postby silverfox » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:57 am

Anyone interested is seeing how Windows 8 work ... here are some simple but effective tutorials:

http://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/windows-8.html

FYI - The more I use Windows 8 the more I like it.

Postby midiboy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:07 pm

My experience with Windows 8 Ultimate is great. I've been using this version since the they opened it to folks to download early this year. I've installed ProShow Producer on the os and it's run fine. A lot has to do with the specks of your computer and a decent graphics card.

I do love Windows 8, 64 bit. You don't have to stick with the new start menu. You can install a free software called "Classic Shell"
Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/. Just install it and it works. You can in the options tell it to never use any of the Win 8 starter features. When you start your computer it momentarily looks like it is going to go back to the original start menu but it doesn't when fully loaded.

Windows 8 is great. This OS boots faster than any of the past windows. In Windows 7 with all that I had on it loaded somewhere between 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. But with all my graphics programs and music studio software I wasn't concerned. Once it was loaded it run fine. Also I seldom turn off my computers. I simply put it in sleep mode and wakes up with a simple movement of you mouse.
Now in Wins 8 boot time is around 30 sec. MS has really improved the boot engine. The sleep mode is faster to shutdown everything and quick to wake up.

On my second computer, I installed 8 and decided to see if it's true about reinstalling the os without losing your registry and computer sittings. It worked perfectly. This is my concerned because I have a lot of graphic info, shows and designs that I don't want to lose. Same with my music that I compose. When you are Orchestrating a 1 - 12 track composition you don't want to lose all that info. Sure I have backups. But when windows go bad when you are in the middle of something, you don't want to lose it all. But MS has redesign the clean up the computer to its original clean os without costing us lost of valuable doc, music, photos and Proshows. We can bad mouth MS all you want, but I find that they are really trying to make our lives easier on the computer. As far as drivers is concerned I've only one devise that will not work on window 8. But Roland hasn't released any windows 8 drivers for it. So it isn't Ms's fault.

I hope that this helps.

Midiboy
Proshow Producer, Photoshop CC 6-64, Audition CC 6-64, Sonar X3-64, Finale 2014, Kurzweil PC-3X/Orch Module Keyboard,Kurzweil PC-2X/Orch Rack Sound Module, Edirol Um-880 Midi Patchbay, Nikon D-50, Sony HDV HVR-Z1 Video Cam and Windows 8-64 Ultimate.

Postby silverfox » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:03 am

Thanks for the review and the link.
Are you using Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 RT?

The Fox still learning ....

Postby midiboy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:35 pm

I am using Windows Ultimate 8-64. I have no need for the Rt version so I can't share. But everything I said before works for both Windows 8 Pro or Ultimate. Ultimate is for Businesses primarily.

Midiboy
Proshow Producer, Photoshop CC 6-64, Audition CC 6-64, Sonar X3-64, Finale 2014, Kurzweil PC-3X/Orch Module Keyboard,Kurzweil PC-2X/Orch Rack Sound Module, Edirol Um-880 Midi Patchbay, Nikon D-50, Sony HDV HVR-Z1 Video Cam and Windows 8-64 Ultimate.

Esteemed Member

Postby Merlin_AZ » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:27 am

You can download and run the upgrade assistant and see what might not be compatible.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -windows-8

Esteemed Member

Postby Alan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:16 pm

There's nothing wrong with change...........providing everything stays the same.

Alan
Downunder
Alan

Sydney, Australia

Postby silverfox » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:35 am

Free - Windows 8 for Dummies Pocket Edition

http://media.wiley.com/assets/7077/60/9 ... custom.pdf

If that does not work, here is the deal.

http://dealnews.com/-Windows-8-for-Dumm ... 29982.html

Return to Odds & Ends