Not very clean photo's - can you help?

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Honorary ProShow PHD

Not very clean photo's - can you help?

Postby Penny47 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:51 pm

Sorry I seem to be asking a lot lately for help. I have a granddaughter who has been sending me photo's of her and her sisters, some of very good but some need to be cleaned up. I usually despeckle them but that is not helping in this case as they need a little more. Anyone know of FREE programs that I can get to try and clean them up a little. I don't (and can't afford) to buy any programs at the moment. I thank you in advance for any help that you can give.

Penny

Re: Not very clean photo's - can you help?

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:30 pm

Well, actually, the best answer is to fix the source - see if you can identify what the issues are and discuss with her how to improve the pictures. There are some free programs out there like GIMP etc although I have not used them, but like any other tool, it takes practice to be able to do good things with it. Without seeing what the images are that you are having problems with, it is difficult to suggest a more detailed course of action. Some problems are easier to fix than others ... it depends :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby debngar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:50 am

I agree with Mikey, if possible, fix/improve the source and posting a sample may help identify the problem.

You didn't say whether these are prints, scanned photos or already digital files. If they're scanned images, some scanners do a better job than others and have better software to do that job.

If the images are really small to begin with, the lack of pixels makes for a poor display on a big screen. Once you have them in your computer, what is the average number of pixels on the longest end?

If these are low res cell phone pictures, the poor optics, small camera sensor and lack of Megapixels produce a limited quality image.There's only so much one can do to improve them. I take pictures with my 8 MP phone all the time. Given they're captured in good light, with some careful post processing I can usually improve the results. But they still lack good detail and none can beat a good photo taken under the same conditions with my DSLR camera using a good lens.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby cinderellen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:34 pm

You might check out a free online editor:

http://pixlr.com/

Not sure what all you're trying to do but this might help. If it doesn't work for this project, there are plenty of great things, including making collages, that are fun to do. BTW, a collage might work for these low res pics.

Ellen

Postby rickinsavh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:58 am

Wow! Pixlr, what a great resource!
Just played with the apple version from iTunes, equally impressive!
Producer 7.0.3496, ULead - MSP8, VS 11.5, PI X3, MF 7 Pro, Adobe- CS2, AE 7.0, Pinnacle Studio+ 10.8, ACDSee 9.0, BluffTitler (10Pro)
ProShow Enthusiast since Jul 16, 2008

Postby trulytango » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks from me too, Ellen. That looks like fun!

Iris :D
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Penny47 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:17 am

Ellen thanks for the Pixir I had a quick look at it but am going to spend more time checking it out as it looks like such fun. I also have to thank everyone for their advice and a big thank you to mikey for checking out the photo's and telling me why they were so bad. I have now learned what to look at in the future. Something to do when I wake at 5 am, and there is nothing to watch on TV :-)

Penny

Return to Odds & Ends