Inkjet Printable DVD

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Inkjet Printable DVD

Postby ginger » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm planning on printing about 20 DVDs using my Epson Artisan 810 printer and Taiyo Yuden watershield inkjet printable DVDs. This is the first time I've tried this and the way my printer goes through ink (like crazy) I'm wondering how much ink it will take to print that many dvd's. Of course I'd like a nice quality finish, but I'd love to know if anyone has experience with the Epson and how much ink it would take to print that number of DVDs, and if you have any tips/suggestions.

Thanks!

ginger
Last edited by ginger on Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Inkjet Printable DVD

Postby Bart_B » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:35 pm

Ginger,

I use an Epson 1400 that goes through ink like a drunken sailor goes through the brand of his choice. Printing DVD's actually uses very little ink. I've printed forty or fifty DVD's at a time can't even see a dip in the ink levels.

Bart

Postby ginger » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi Bart,

That's good to know that even though your printer uses a lot of ink, it doesn't use a lot printing DVDs.

Do you know what Color Mode your printer is set at? It seems mine is set to "Epson Vivid" by default with two other options: Epson Standard and Adobe RGB. I wonder if that's why I'm going through so much ink. I've tried changing it to Epson Standard when I think about it, but it always defaults back to Epson Vivid the next time ... and since I'm printing colorful images onto the DVDs I wonder if I need to use Epson Vivid.

Thanks!

ginger

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:00 pm

I have an Epson Stylus 1400 too and love that baby. Bought it refurbished (just like new with protective coating)August 2011 and ordered my first set of inks just a couple months back. Mind you, I have been printing odd and ends (photos and DVD's) throughout the year along with printing well over 125 or so DVD's at Christmas of home movies for family members. The initial ink purchase is pricey but compared to previous printers I've owned, I have saved in the long run. Prints great too. :)

Hugs, Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Postby ginger » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:02 pm

Also, Bart, when you print DVDs are they usually full color or partially transparent?

Thanks!

ginger

Postby ginger » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback Stephanie. I'll ask you the same question about Color Mode. Do you know what yours is set at? (It's under Print Settings|Advanced when you go to Print on my machine.)

Thanks a bunch!

ginger

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:44 pm

I have an Epson 810. It does not use a lot of ink to print the DVD. My CD/DVDs are fully covered. They are not transparent. If you are seeing this, then check your printer driver and make sure that it is not in DRAFT mode. While this saves ink, it does not provide full coverage. I choose the Text & Image along with a Photgraphic surface. I am away from my printer so I can't give you the full dialogue box descriptions, but it is something like that.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby ginger » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:42 pm

Thanks Vernon. It's good to hear that DVD printing doesn't use that much ink.

Actually when I asked about whether Bart's DVDs were full color or partially transparent, I was referring to whether the design covered the complete DVD or if there was a certain color that was transparent (no ink used on transparent areas), or I've also seen some DVDs (probably mostly the silver ones) where there's a design just on one side (one half) of the dvd, which of course wouldn't use as much ink.

I'm still curious about the Color Mode issue.

Thanks for the feedback.

ginger

Postby debngar » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:49 pm

seektheburd wrote:I have an Epson Stylus 1400 too and love that baby. Bought it refurbished (just like new with protective coating)August 2011 and ordered my first set of inks just a couple months back. Mind you, I have been printing odd and ends (photos and DVD's) throughout the year along with printing well over 125 or so DVD's at Christmas of home movies for family members. The initial ink purchase is pricey but compared to previous printers I've owned, I have saved in the long run. Prints great too. :)

Hugs, Stephanie

Wondering if the 1430 is the replacement for the 1400? Just wondering. I'm in the market for a new one for printing my DVDs and the occasional quick print. Do you get your ink online? Seems like Epson inks are few and far between in retail stores around here.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi Ginger,
I just checked mine, color mode is Epson Vivid. I did change my diameter settings to custom inner size 25 and outer 116 for coverage. This leaves a fine thin white line, which I like with no ink mess. :D

Debbie, took a quick peak at that printer and probably so. I will go back later to check specs but I bet it is the replacement/upgrade from 1400. I ordered my ink from Epson Website with free shipping. I see that shipping offer is still available. I know how hard of a time it is selecting a final printer but honestly, I have no regrets with mine.

Hugs, Stephanie

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6

Postby Oldguy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:05 am

I have an Artisan 835 and am amazed how long
the ink last. It is very good! Great looking
dvd's.

Forrest

Postby ginger » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:35 am

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for the info on Color Mode and the adjustments you made to the diameter settings. I'm using SureThing 5 to create my disc artwork, and I had read that with all software (unless it's the one that came with your printer) you may need to experiment and make adjustments to the dimensions ... so your settings will give me a great place to start.

Hi Forrest,

Thanks for the feedback on your 835. It seems that there are variations even among the same models about how much ink they use. I'm very happy with the quality of the printing; it just seems like it goes through a lot of ink, but I'll reevaluate after I finish this print job.

Thanks everyone!

ginger

Postby Bart_B » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:54 am

Ginger,

When I print to DVD first I do get coverage to the full face of the DVD. Your software should also let you adjust how close to the center it will print. Mine is set to print so that it covers every bit of printable surface. Then for my printer the options I have to work with are Photo and Best Photo. I select Best Photo.

Debbie, First thing I just noticed is the Stylus 1400 has been discontinued. Epson is out of them and Amazon claims to have one left in stock for $550 which is pretty good for them because when it was in production it sold for $250. I am quite certain the 1430 is the replacement for the 1400. It's the only wide format that hits that price point in their lineup. For me I have bought ink through Amazon, from Epson when they have a particularly good deal, and one of the office supply stores, office depot I think I can't remember for sure stocks it. So it boils down to me who has the best price unless I just gotta have it right now!

Bart

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:06 pm

I bet you are right Bart. It fits the specs pretty close. :)

Hugs, Stephanie

Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6

Postby Bart_B » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi Stephanie :D

Yes, it has to be. I tell you what, with these great big wide-format printers, wireless would be nice to have. It's not easy to find a place close enough for the usb cable to set them up. It would be real nice to be able to put it anywhere and not be constrained!

Bart

Next

Return to Odds & Ends