What CPU for new computer

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

What CPU for new computer

Postby 3berryswi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi, I'm building a new computer and does anyone have any idea(s) on the right or best CPU? Will ProShow make use of the Intel i7 or is an i5 a better bang for the buck? I do not use ProShow for a living but just like making shows with it.
Any ideas on CPU or anything else on a new build, please feel free.
Gary
3berryswi@gmail.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: What CPU for new computer

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Gary,
Like all things in life.... it depends.... primarily budget is the limiting factor. But if it were me, I would get the i7 processor though a fast i5 is no slouch. If I were to put money on anything else it would be a decent midrange video card and a Solid State Drive (SSD) for your operating system storage (C Drive). ProShow tends to be limited by the CPU. So a fast QuadCore CPU and a video card that will allow ProShow to offload work (GPU acceleration) will help immensely. Though ProShow is currently 32 bit, I would go with a 64 bit setup and at least 12 - 16 gig of ram. Though overkill for ProShow alone, it will help you immensely when you are running other applications and want to multi-task. Also you never know when ProShow - 64 will show up. There will be many other differing opinions, but that is what I would consider.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby Oldguy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:26 am

There are multiple speeds within the same processor
class. For instance the i5- 3570K is much faster
than a i7-870k. Check this web site for the
different processor speeds.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Forrest

Postby 3berryswi » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:00 am

Thanks for the reply, sorry that it took so long to get back. Some good ideas and thoughts. I'm thinking of going with the i5 3570k with the Asus P8Z77 -V motherboard. I would like to go with the i7 3770k, but the $100 would allow me to pick up a 256gb SSD. I'm still trying to talk myself into the i7. The P8Z77-V can be set to overclock automatically under load, very cool. I do not think that the P8Z77-V is as good as the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB but again money.

One question that came up is the statement that ProShow is 32 bit software. My Windows7 is 64 bit. Will this be a problem? Will ProShow even take advantage of the i7, if I talk myself in to going that way? I have a fast video card and will be using 16 g Corsair ram, will this make up the difference between the two CPUs?

Any thoughts, would be helpful,
Gary

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:17 am

I run Producer on a 64-bit system, as I'll bet a lot of the people here do. You won't have any problem at that end of things!

To your computer choices: You might want to look at your decision based on how long you'll own the new computer. Let's say it'll be around 3 years. Divide the extra amount you'll pay for what you really want by 3. If, say, it's $600 extra, this means you'll be paying $200 a year for the better model, or even more delightfully put, you'll be paying around $3.85 per week. [I've just handed you my own best method of rationalization. :D ]

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to Odds & Ends