Switch to full style
Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Post a reply

Suggestions needed for directory/file printing

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:33 am

I just went on a quick search for freeware that does just one thing: Creates a printable list of folders and files. My problem is that there are many such programs, but I just want a one-job utility that does nothing else. If any of you use such a utility and can recommend it, I'd be a happy camper.

(Why didn't Microsoft ever give us the ability? Such a simple thing, really.)

EDIT! I found what I needed at the tried-and-true Karen's Power Tools. Simple little program that does exactly what I want and with the ability to edit what's listed and what isn't.

Barbara

Re: Suggestions needed for directory/file printing

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:16 am

BarbaraC wrote: I found what I needed at the tried-and-true Karen's Power Tools. Simple little program that does exactly what I want and with the ability to edit what's listed and what isn't.
Barbara

I had this little app. on my XP computer, and didn't know that it was working for Win7 as well. I thought it was too old.
Can you give us the link please?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 am

I sure can: http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

I just used it to do a printout of the names of 41 folders. I saved it to a text file, brought it into Word so I could fancy it up a bit, and then printed it out so it would fit inside a CD case. Perfection.

Barbara

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:35 am

:D :D :D

That is exactly how I put it to use in the past :D :D
Great minds..... you know...

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:41 am

Great minds, indeed! 8)

For anyone else interested in this little utility, it adds itself to the right-click menu so that all you need do is right-click a folder in Windows Explorer and choose "Print with DirPrn" to launch the wee program.

Barbara

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:28 am

Thanks ladies... sounds a handy thing to have on a right-click! :D

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:30 am

You might want to grab any of her utilities you want now - I don't know how much longer her website will exist. Last year I received an email from her brother (I had been subscribed to her newsletter) indicating she had passed on April 12, 2011. She created a number of handy utilities over the years and will be missed.

mikey

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:47 am

Thanks for alerting us, Mikey. I'll have to head back out there because I know I used several of her programs on XP, and I'm sure they'll still work with Win 7.

Barbara

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:01 am

They should - here is the link to her "compatibility" page: http://www.karenware.com/compatibility.asp

This is the first part of the email I got (apparently sent to all the newsletter subscribers) April 25, last year:
Dear Friends, I suspect that many of you have noticed that the last issue of Karen©s Power Tools Newsletter was dated March 17, 2010, and you may have been anxiously awaiting another. It is with great sadness that I write to tell you of Karen©s death on April 12, 2011, after a long struggle with several debilitations, including diabetes. I know that Karen touched many of you with her kindness, wit, creativity and encouragement.

mikey
Post a reply