Folder choice screen in Win 7

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Folder choice screen in Win 7

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:29 am

When we browse to choose a folder in which to save files--for instance, when exporting styles--there's a browser screen that comes up and that, for me anyway, has the bottom part hidden below the bottom of the screen. It's definitely not a ProShow thing because I've seen it in other software. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, does anyone know the proper name for that popup screen? I tried searching for answers to the problem, but I came up empty because I didn't know the technical name for the thingamabob.

Definitely looks as if Microsoft didn't thoroughly test positioning on various monitor sizes.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: Folder choice screen in Win 7

Postby cherub » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:08 am

Barbara,
I don't see this particular problem. I've tried various window sizes (in Producer) and I don't see any hidden part.
I think that there is a setting somewhere, where you can lock positions of windows or something (again, in Producer).
Have you made any kind of such change? Because I didn't, and the defaults look OK to me.

But, after saying this, I've seen screens in Windows Explorer, where the full path to a file is positioned wrongly, and you only get to see the end of the path, but not the beginning.
In all, I'm not so fond of Win 7 and its Windows Explorer. Windows Explorer in Win XP was much, much better.

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:22 am

It's not just in Producer. I've also seen it in other software where such a browser window comes up. It's the vertical one, by the way, not the horizontal one. Why there are two varieties is beyond me.

And no, I haven't changed any settings such as locking windows.

I'm pretty sure I spotted someone else complaining about the same problem, but I can't remember who it was.

I agree with you about XP vs. 7. They made Win 7's interface very annoying and anti-productive, apparently for the sake of change and supposedly to make it easier. I find the changes get in the way, and as for easy? XP wins hands down.

Barbara

Valued Member

Postby DonM » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:15 am

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:45 am

It helped, but in a negative manner: Apparently, there's no fix for it. :(

Barbara

Valued Member

Postby Tonel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:13 pm

Barbara

It's called a 'dialog' box or window.

Perhaps this will resolve the problem:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/75 ... sktop.html

Tony
Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, C=250GB 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PSP9
iMac 27" Retina 5K i5, 24GB RAM, Radeon M295X 4GB, Bootcamp Win10H 64bit

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:12 am

Tony, it's addressing the kind of problem where someone has accidentally moved a window offscreen on the Desktop, but my problem is that the window is using its default position, and regardless of moving it each and every time to get to the "Open" button down at the bottom of it, the next time I use the window, there it is, back down with the buttons hidden by the bottom side of the screen.

Thanks for trying!

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Barbara,
It is a shot in the dark, but when that happens, does your main window have scroll bars on it? The program is redrawing the dialogue box in the position drawn by the programmer. And with the scroll bar, it thinks the whole canvass is available to use for drawing. In better behaved programs, the program remembers where you last moved the window. That is how you often wind up with windows no longer visible on the screen. You may be able to handle this by trying to change some of the settings in your Display software for your video card. Some, like nVidia let you create a virtual desktop which makes this problem more pronounced.

HTH,
-Vernon

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:19 am

Vernon,

There aren't any scroll bars. If there were, I'd have to send a poison-pen letter to Photodex. :evil: As for the display software, it's set on the default except for color, where I had to adjust some of the settings, but those have nothing to do with size. It's definitely not just a Producer problem because I've seen it elsewhere, and only with that specific box. If it happened with any of the other dialogue boxes, it would point to my settings as being the problem, but it's with just that one box. Everything else is just fine. I truly think this is a Windows thing, a single box that was just fine on all the systems checked--except for mine and one other person who has precisely the same problem. Too bad I can't remember who it is because this person and I could compare settings.

This is the box, by the way, that comes up if you're exporting styles and if Producer doesn't have a "memory" of the last place saved to because you eliminated or moved that last place. If it does have something in memory, it brings up a different box, a horizontal rectangle situated at top left on the screen.

At least it's one of those irritating things, not a destructive thing.

Barbara

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:12 am

Well, my problem is fixed, and it was a really dumb fix. Since someone else might also need a dumb fix, here's how it came about: Needing to widen the window, I grabbed a corner and stretched it to landscape shape. Ever since then, the window has been just fine--good size, and it doesn't dip below the bottom of the screen. Looking back on all the strange and invasive solutions I found on the internet, I am SO glad I ignored them. :shock:

Barbara
Last edited by BarbaraC on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valued Member

Postby Tonel » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Pleased you got it sorted, Barb, and thanks for letting us know. It often pays not to rush and to try and keep it simple.

Tony
Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, C=250GB 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PSP9
iMac 27" Retina 5K i5, 24GB RAM, Radeon M295X 4GB, Bootcamp Win10H 64bit

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:20 am

Tony, in the past, I've made some exceedingly grave errors by not "sleeping on it." Lesson learned...several times.

Barbara

Return to Odds & Ends