Partition new hard drive

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Partition new hard drive

Postby weldr » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:21 am

First time I've needed the experts help in a long time. I have a new computer. Going to load windows7. I have two hard drives,SSD with 120 GB and an HDD with 1T. I'm setting it up for the latest Producer and Elements 7 and whatever adobe video came with pse7. I can figure out how to partition...need advice on what to partition, sizes and what to load where? Most of what I do is play with Producer. For some reason I haven't been able to watch any Photodex videos for a long time, another problem, maybe new computer will solve that. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Picking up computer after work...very excited. Thanks, Don
Canon EOS 50D,PSE7,Latest Producer, new computer...don't know specs off hand but runs Producer with no problems.

Re: Partition new hard drive

Postby heckydog » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:25 pm

imho, there's no need to partition a hdd these days.

Your OS would go on the SSD if that's to be designated your C drive. Other installed programs would also go there. Use the 1TB drive for files you create.

Joe

Valued Member

Postby DonM » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Don,

I have a 300 GB 10,000 rpm deive as my C: drive. It is one partition and I have the operating system (Win 7 64 bit) and all program files on it.

A second drive 600 GB is a single partition and supports all program data files and I moved My Documents to this disk. This is also a single partition.

A third USB drive is 2 TER Bytes and is used for backing up all drive partitions and data files.

I don't see the virtue of having any other partitions except if you want to have dual boot for another operating system.

Don M

Postby weldr » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks Joe and Don. Wanted to make sure I will have no problems with Producer. Joe, I grew up in Cook County. only things I miss besides family are thunder and lightning storms and fireflys. Be 42 years next month I landed here on Whidbey Island. Picking up my computer tonight..will load win7...can't wait to use Producer! Don
Canon EOS 50D,PSE7,Latest Producer, new computer...don't know specs off hand but runs Producer with no problems.

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:30 pm

I used to partition my drives until I discovered it didn't seem to accomplish anything at all, so now I have Windows and programs on C:, all my files and silliness on D:, and a smaller drive yanked out of the last computer to use as a scratch disk for Photoshop. There's an external drive for backups I want fast access to it, but all backups regardless go onto CD and DVD. Works great.

So now you have several people telling you not to bother. Just go big and beautiful.

Also, congratulations on getting a new beast!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby trulytango » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:04 am

Have fun, Don!

Iris :D
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:10 pm

I have mine partitioned (well, the OS drive anyway). I have it set up for dual boot (I'm working on migrating to windows 7/64) and have one partition 100gigs for XP and 100gigs for Win7. What works fairly well is I set it up so that in windows 7, C is the OS partition and "X:" is the XP Pro partition (so I can grab files etc from there). In XP, the "C" partition is XP and the "X" partition is the Windows 7 OS partition. Lets me grab stuff from the other one no matter which way I booted. I forget all the details, but if you are not careful installing Win 7 in a dual boot situation, it wants to create a separate 100 meg partition (which I didn't want it to do), so you have to do a couple of things to avoid that. Otherwise, it works fine. One advantage to partitioning drives is it allows you to keep stuff separate if you are backing things up (I actually have 4 partitions on my first drive - boot manager, XP, Windows 7/64 and User_Data (700 gigs for user_data). The rest of my drives (all 1TB each) are not partitioned. YMMV :roll:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:48 am

Mikey, what is it about engineers that compels them to complicate matters? :D

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby Merlin_AZ » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:38 pm

Whatever you do, make sure you back up.
Personally, I use Macrium Reflect.
Never had an issues with it, and I have no connection with the company.
Just a satisfied customer.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Yes, I have images of the partitions saved on a physically different drive :D

Barbara - that isn't making it more complicated, it makes it easy to migrate over and still get at files on the other "system" without having to reboot. Very neat and orderly actually. Besides, I just spent the day crunching telemetry data for our next launch (we stand the rocket up and check it before the ships leave to go out for the launch). http://www.sea-launch.com :D Now there is some serious data and complexity !

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:17 am

Eeezy for you, deeefeecult for me! :lol:

Barbara

Return to Odds & Ends