Photodex contests - results, yes, but that's it

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Photodex contests - results, yes, but that's it

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:15 am

I was just now floating around Photodex's blog when I came across the spring contest winner. Then I got curious about their rules, knowing they must have changed since it's no longer done using uploads to the gallery area. Could I find the rules or even a description of the contests? No. There was a link to Facebook, seeming to indicate a person could find out more, but I sure couldn't. Does anyone know the secret hiding place, or should I write to Photodex to tell them they've, uh, left out something?

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: Photodex contests - results, yes, but that's it

Postby debngar » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:03 am

They are held on Facebook. You may have to go back through older posts to find related info. In order to participate, you used to have to allow the "contest" app via FB which gives access to that area. It was located to the left of their left FB Page column if I remember correctly.

Lately they don't run their contests like they used to. They ask for images, then pick one from that as a winner and make a show from all the participants' images to be shown on FB. Saves them the legalities of dealing with people that use music they shouldn't I suppose and saves on costly storage space on their Photodex Site.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:44 am

They're doing nothing but getting permission to use other people's pictures?! I must be misunderstanding what you've said because it would mean they've discontinued contests. But they still speak about giving prizes. To whom? To themselves?! :lol:

Barbara

Postby debngar » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:06 am

Reading some of Photodex's older FB posts will verify what I explained.
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:10 am

I guess I'll take your word for it. My attention span over on Facebook is really short. :shock:

Barbara

Postby debngar » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:24 am

If you want clarification from Photodex, they usually respond to questions posted to their FB page in a timely manner. But this being Saturday it might take them until Monday to respond.
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:42 am

It was more an idle question than it was anything else. If I were considering entering a contest, I might actively seek answers. It was simply that, when I saw they offered no information at all, I wondered if they ever have more than just handful of people entering any given contest.

Barbara

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:25 pm

Looking for something else, I just now tripped across the fact that, yes, there's the business of collecting people's photos and then placing them in a slide show built by Photodex, but the slide show contest is still a separate thing. Their lack of promotion speaks volumes: They aren't much interested. Either that, or they haven't yet figured out how to keep important things from sinking into blog-oblivion. :D

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:34 pm

I don't think it's really a contest anymore (not that it ever was, really, a case of the best put-together show that won). I think it's devolved into a something more of winning by "popularity."

If Photodex really wanted to show off what the programs can do, they'd provide some concrete standards for what needs to be included and for what they're basing their decisions on. The winning shows really aren't showing off what the program can do (other demonstrating that a slideshow can be built by the program).

Dale
Last edited by im42n8 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Dale, it's always been an up-and-down thing, that's for sure, but there were certainly memorable submissions over the years. In any case, I think they probably have gotten tired of the whole contest thing, for which we probably can't blame them. It takes a lot of man-hours to view the submissions and to work with the winners, and then to highlight them. Then there's the problem of what to do if, for whatever reason, it's time to announce winners, but nothing much was submitted. If I were them, I'd quietly drop the whole affair.

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:40 am

Well, there have certainly been some really good shows submitted, that's for sure. Also, some really interesting approaches to presenting information. There are some really talented folks out there and some really nice presentations.

Unfortunately, a goodly share of the submissions are less than memorable. Too many submitters have no idea what makes for a good show. I've reviewed quite a number shows and you're right, it gets old fast. It's really easy to create a videoshow. However, it's not all that easy to create a good videoslideshow that someone will want to watch more than once or that's not a struggle to get through the first viewing.

In a way, it's like photography. Taking pictures is easy. Taking good pictures is not as easy as it looks. Unfortunately, too many have a higher opinion of their abilities than exists in reality. Ah well, maybe Photodex is moving in that direction right now ... dropping the whole "contest" idea.
Last edited by im42n8 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby heckydog » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:44 pm

I sure hope there aren't too many people following this thread that have entered any of the contest(s) :lol:

I can hear bubbles bursting all over the place . :cry:

Postby debngar » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:04 pm

For anyone who might be interested... my mistake. Apparently since the advent of the Facebook "timeline" format, the type of information that used to appear in the left column of a FB business page is no longer there. I speculate should any new contest arise, some needed info will appear somewhere. Understandably the new way is more easily managed for Photodex and also presents less liability for them. I can't blame them in this litigious age. :roll:
Debbie

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:07 pm

heckydog wrote:I sure hope there aren't too many people following this thread that have entered any of the contest(s) :lol:

I can hear bubbles bursting all over the place . :cry:

LOL. I was thinking the same thing...
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:31 pm

seektheburd wrote:LOL. I was thinking the same thing...

Me too! :D

I meant to post something to Dale, telling him he's an old crank, probably because he's currently buried in studying tax law, but I got sidetracked by my husband who showed up in crisis mode. (He couldn't find something important. It was, of course, sitting right out in the open.)

Anyway, every slide show is different from every other, each having a specific purpose and specific audience. I can't imagine a show targeting Great Aunt Tilly being set up all sleek and modern and being any kind of success. Same goes for a show meant for a wedding couple and that's designed with bouncy elephants.

This reminds me of an old idea I had for a challenge: Create a show with the worst photos possible and then proceed to treat all of them in the worst possible way. Maybe it would serve to loosen us up a bit like an orchestra does just before the concert. You know that great blat of sound they make? We could make great blatting slide shows.

Barbara

Next

Return to Odds & Ends