Photodex contests - results, yes, but that's it

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Re: Photodex contests - results, yes, but that's it

Postby Astra » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:22 am

Barbara,
I like your idea:
BarbaraC wrote: ............
This reminds me of an old idea I had for a challenge: Create a show with the worst photos possible and then proceed to treat all of them in the worst possible way. Maybe it would serve to loosen us up a bit like an orchestra does just before the concert. You know that great blat of sound they make?
We could make great blatting slide shows.

As usual - you "hit the nail on the head" - I will start to think about it ....
Alex/Astra

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:50 am

Too bad I always toss out my really bad ideas. I'd have a heap of shows to share and to embarrass myself with. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:38 am

Well, I might just be being an old coot on this thing but I have thought that a show entered into a "contest" would be subject to something meaningful. And that you were being judged on technical merit (how the show is put together, the presentation, the technique, the story, etc) such that there was an actual competition between submitters. The "best" (in technical respects) show isn't the one that may actually place in the contest.

However, the Photodex "contest" is meaningful in terms of showing that anyone can make a slide show and it doesn't have to be a work of art, a technical marvel, or worthy of being enshrined in a hall of fame. You don't have to have everything just right to make a show that is meaningful to someone in some way. Winning makes you feel good too. Losing can make you try harder. But, making a show can make you a winner anyway. If you actually put some effort into its creation, it feels good to accomplish something. It doesn't have to be a work of art.

How meaningful it is to be placed (1st, 2nd, 3rd) is in the eye of the beholder.

Dale
Last edited by im42n8 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:22 am

To fit into your description, Dale, Photodex would have to say quite explicitly what the shows will be judged on, and they'd have to provide both theme and photos. Otherwise, if someone has professional-quality photos but so-so ProShow technique, those photos can easily hide the fact. The reverse is just as true: bad photos, top-notch technique. Just as we ourselves are naturally subjective about our own shows, such subjectivity enters into the judging of other people's shows. It can't be helped. And don't forget that you're coming at it with your own built-in prejudices, and no matter how hard you might try to ignore them, they'll seep right in without your even realizing it.

To me, a great show is one that, no matter how it's accomplished, sucks a person right into it. It could be the photos or the story behind the photos or well-placed special effects or the emotion it evokes. Emotion is absolutely vital. It's how humans connect with one another.

Photodex has quite a task trying to judge the contests.

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:26 am

Barbara, I don't think your original post question officially got answered but sure did make for some good conversation. Ended up rather interesting, unlike it's humble beginnings which left me chuckling with wonder how others read it. I think Photodex now creating shows from submitted photos is basically where the contests were leading anyway. Good to see viewpoints from all angles.

Hugs, Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:41 am

No, it didn't get answered. Only Photodex knows the answer, and they're keeping it close to the vest.

It did bring up some stuff, though, didn't it? :D

I also belong to a music forum, and I'll tell you what: Those musicians are absolutely free with their opinions. This forum is as tame as a kitten.

Barbara

Previous

Return to Odds & Ends