Battle between video card and monitor settings

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Battle between video card and monitor settings

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:24 am

My video card has far better settings for the monitor than the monitor itself does, but every time the computer boots, the card doesn't take control, and so I have to open its software and click a stupid button to get the stupid card to take over. All is well until the next time I boot up. Do any of you know how I might tell the card that it, not the monitor, is preferred? I realize each card has its own software, and so where to find what is always dependent on that, but if anyone has a clue about where to look, I might be able to clear this irritant from life.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: Battle between video card and monitor settings

Postby martinsta » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Barbara,

I'm not sure, but this seems to be a BIOS problem.
Guess there will be a variable in your BIOS which can be set as enabled/disabled for using an internal or external video card.
Don't know where and how because there are a lot of motherboards and BIOS settings.
You will get in the BIOS during startup.
Normally you will see a message like "press DEL to enter BIOS" during startup.
it can also be button F2 or F12 or ...

Hope this helps

Take Care
Martin

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:39 pm

The onboard video isn't being used, so I don't think that's the problem. As a matter of fact, when the computer is booting, the card is obviously in use, and then at the last moment, the monitor's settings take over, though for everything else, it's the card that's being used. If the card weren't being used, I doubt that trying to alter the settings via the card's software would work.

It's as if the monitor's settings are the last in the boot series, and they therefore override the card's settings.

Barbara

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:00 pm

After a bit of digging, I've discovered that Windows is the culprit, that one of the last things it does is load the monitor's own settings, which Windows has designated as the default. This means I can change the default, but I'd have to find the profile I set up for the video card, and so far, the only time I can find it is if I open the card's software. I mean, for goodness' sake, I even named it the very obvious "Barbara's settings," but can I find it when trying to replace Windows' idea of what the default should be? Nope. :(

Barbara

Postby debngar » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Might not be of help, but is the monitor turned on before booting? I remember when I was using a dual cloned monitor setup with a laptop and didn't have it switched to the big monitor and have it on when booting, it would default to the laptop monitor display setting. I had to fix it each time through the control panel>video card settings to make the screen display properly etc. I found by having the monitor on until it completely shut off and then making sure it was back on before I turned the computer on kept me from having to go through that annoying exercise. :|
Last edited by debngar on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:34 pm

I thought about doing just that, leaving the monitor off until full bootup, and it's certainly worth a try. Still, though, it thoroughly ticks me off that Windows is so darned presumptive!

Barbara

Postby debngar » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:34 pm

Post by BarbaraC on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:34 pm
I thought about doing just that, leaving the monitor off until full bootup, and it's certainly worth a try. Still, though, it thoroughly ticks me off that Windows is so darned presumptive!

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I was suggesting to have it ON during shut down and during bootup. If you have it off, the video card can take on a default setting other than what you might want it to be. If it's shut down while set as you want it, I think it should save the settings. Then when it's freshly turned on, as long as it's recognizing the monitor as being on and plugged into the computer, etc. it will apply the previous session's display settings.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:40 pm

The problem isn't the card. Instead, it's Windows, which defaults to my monitor settings, not those of the card. The card turns on before Windows is even loaded, and then when Windows loads, I can actually see the difference when it loads the monitor's settings. What I need to do is find a way to get Windows to load the card's settings so those settings won't be overridden. I looked through the card's various options and couldn't find a spot to make my profile settings the default. I should probably look again since it may call it something other than what I think it should call it.

Barbara

EDIT: I found I was able to set a hotkey for my video card profile. Now all I have to do is press Alt+M once the machine is booted. Not the perfect solution, but at least I no longer have to get into the software.

Postby martinsta » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:20 am

Barbara,

Just thinking about a possible driver problem.
When Windows thinks/sees that the video driver is some how corrupted it will take over the video control fom the GPU (Graphic Card).
Maybe it's an idea to disable/delete the video card driver, download the latest driver for the card from manufacters website and install that one. Reboot and see what's happen......

Take Care
Martin

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:30 am

Martin, thanks so much for thinking about this, but apparently I pushed the right button somewhere, either in the card's software or in Windows, and now the final act in the boot process is to load the settings I made in the video card. If I ever run into the problem again, I won't remember how to fix it. It would seem nothing is corrupted other than my ability to pay attention to what I'm doing.

Barbara

Postby martinsta » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:37 am

Ok, Barabara.
That's always the point: we try and change a lot and when we find away that works we can't reproduce the path to the solution anymore. I've been there many times. There is always something working in a way I don't like. Tweaking and tweaking until......
No problem until we have to install a new computer or OS.
Then we start all over again (and write down what we did)

Take Care
Martin

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:41 am

You're so right! I have complete notes for XP, which I used for a long time, but have I written down any of my discoveries for Win 7? Not a single one. We all need secretaries.

Barbara

Return to Odds & Ends