Mapping your trip

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Mapping your trip

Postby tdew » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:03 am

I'm kind of excited about plotting the map of our trip across the Atlantic. I used the camera on my phone and took a GPS enabled picture each morning with "Footprints" on the Android. I couldn't see the maps until I got home again, because I had the phone service turned off, but now with the help of Google maps I can see the entire route.
I think I'll do this from now on whenever I travel.
I'm happy with the basic view of my progress, but I'm sure that with more investigation the map could become more elaborate and include more information.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... 135.439453

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Mapping your trip

Postby pilotdan63 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:30 pm

Now that's an exciting map for sure!

You might be able to incorporate this map into a slide show using the "Way Points" for the pictures that you took at each location on your trip :wink:

Dan

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:24 pm

I love it, and I think Dan's idea is super!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby SSMAKER » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Great idea about plotting your trip and showing daily pictures!

My problem is that I can't see the any pictures when I click on one of the positions (get a blank pop-up image with a small red x in upper left corner). What do I need to do to see your pictures? I tried signing on to Google Maps but that did not help.

Postby tdew » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:35 pm

I haven't figured that out yet. I don't see pictures either. I just like the plotting of the route. I'm sure there's a way to get the pictures into it too, but I'm not there yet.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:08 am

There are two programs that you can use for this type of thing.

If you have not yet entered the GIS information into the photos that you took at each location you can use a freeware program called Geosetter which will help you match up the location information of your photo to the GPS point on the map. If the photos are already geotagged you can use either Geosetter or Google's Picasa desktop application which will allow you to create a file from a set of photos that were taken at your different GPS way points to be exported to Geosetter. (Geosetter has a photo-thumbnail option for this and Picasa uses a photo thumbnail as its icon by default).

Also, if you upload your geotagged photos to Google's Picasa Web Albums you can download a file from there which will display your photos in Geosetter. Because your photo's are online in your account you can easily share that relatively small file with others to see your photos if you wish.

Geosetter: http://www.geosetter.de/en/
Picasa: http://picasa.google.com/

You could make a Proshow slide show from the photos you took at each GPS way point by simply zooming in on each Google map way point as your slide show transitions to the photos that were taken at that particular point and then moving on to the next map way point and doing the same, etc.

As an example . . . I made a slide show of my adventures flying back to the United States from Saudi Arabia using a Google map and the photos I took along the way which you can watch here:

Dan's Adventures In Saudi: http://www.photodex.com/share/pilotdan/a84gcmg4

I hope this information helps you get going :wink:

Dan
Last edited by pilotdan63 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby tdew » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:43 am

Dan, That was a wonderful adventure. I was shocked at your 36 hour timeline, and saddened by your memorial ending.
You have given me some great ideas. Thank you. I will check out the programs you spoke of and see what I can do with them. Though I've used picasa for years to find pictures by the titles I've given them, I haven't really explored the extras in there.
It may take me a while, as I am still sorting through all the pictures, but I will try to do something with your suggestions at some point.

Return to Odds & Ends