Downloading Video

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Downloading Video

Postby bandtcurtis » Tue May 22, 2012 6:24 am

I am working on a video for a friend of mine. She has video footage of her daughter on a DVD and she would like me to use it. I haven't seen it yet, but can I choose clips from this DVD and save them to my computer for use in the video? What would I have to do?

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Downloading Video

Postby pilotdan63 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:10 am

You can drag and drop the VOB files you want from the disc or you may want to use a DVD "ripper" program of some kind if you want to just use a small part of a video file. There are many software programs for sale and also quite a few for free off the internet.

Just do a Google search and you will find many to choose from :-)

Dan
Last edited by pilotdan63 on Thu May 24, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Postby rickinsavh » Tue May 22, 2012 8:59 am

DVD files are often what is known as *.vob files.
When these files are on a purchased DVD disc that are typically fairly well copy protected in order to protect the property rights of the film owner.
On discs however that are made from a digital video camera these *.vob files are typically free of any copy protection. I have found that if I insert one of these DVD's (from a digital video camera) into my computer & go looking for a folder named VIDEO_TS. Within that folder will be *.vob files as well as some other file types. Click & drag those *.vob files to you computer. They are typically rather large files. Once you have them on you computer change the file from *.vob to *.mpg (for example VTS_03_1.VOB to VTS_03_1.MPG). Now when you double click on them they will play on your standard video file player. You should also be able to edit them on your video editor or ProShow producer. (By the way ProShow Producer will also let you import the files as *.vob)

Hope this helps...
Producer 7.0.3496, ULead - MSP8, VS 11.5, PI X3, MF 7 Pro, Adobe- CS2, AE 7.0, Pinnacle Studio+ 10.8, ACDSee 9.0, BluffTitler (10Pro)
ProShow Enthusiast since Jul 16, 2008

Postby texan » Tue May 22, 2012 10:40 am

An alternative method to "capture" segments of your DVD to obtain a screen capture program like "snagit".....

There are mant screen cature programs around.......this will grab any video you're playing on your PC.....
copy protected or not.....and save your capture to an avi file.....

You can then idependently edit each clip and/or just load them in to PSP
Texan

Postby bandtcurtis » Thu May 24, 2012 6:04 am

Thank you all for the information. I'll try these suggestions so wish me luck!

Postby gpsmikey » Thu May 24, 2012 7:31 am

The .vob files on the disk are mpeg2 files basically - here is some more information on what is on a DVD if you are curious http://www.videohelp.com/dvd (down near the bottom is probably what you are looking for). In general, unencrypted DVD's (ones you have created for example) are pretty easy to work with. Sometimes you have to rename the .vob file to mp2 for a program to recognize it, but in general, they are something you can work with.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to Odds & Ends