If you use Hotmail

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

If you use Hotmail

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:54 am

This has driven me a little nuts for a long time: People who use Hotmail will write to me, I answer, they write to me again wondering why I haven't responded, and I write to them again. Eventually, I have to give up because there's no way of contacting them. Why? Because Hotmail uses strong spam filtering, which boils down to blocking everything the person hasn't manually given the OK to. I've done a search on the problem, and found it's widespread, so if you use Hotmail, be aware that, unless you look in the junk folder every day and unless you mark addresses you want to receive from as being safe, you're probably missing stuff, and some of it could be important.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: If you use Hotmail

Postby DickK » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:46 am

Actually I think there's a setting for that. At least the way my account is set up, it won't block everything by default. It does use a variety of methods to detect spam but if it uses a "whitelist only" approach, that's new and I don't think it does.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Re: If you use Hotmail

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:42 am

What sent me off on the rant was trying to communicate with a customer who uses Hotmail. The poor person couldn't download because of not receiving the download email. Looking for it in the junk mail section reaped absolutely nothing. Also, the only way I could communicate was to send plain text messages. Anything that was HTML-based (simple rich text format) disappeared into the ether. I was stunned by this and so went on a research trip, discovering a chart that showed what Hotmail won't accept. Some of the things were exceedingly basic. Eventually, we managed it when I included a text-based URL for download. The person decided it was time to go over to Gmail. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to Odds & Ends