Laptop Screen Size

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Laptop Screen Size

Postby Diane48 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:04 pm

I am looking at buying a laptop so that I can continue to play with Producer whilst on holidays.
Most of the laptops on the market seem to have a display screen of 15.6" To get a 17.3" screen the price seems to increase a lot.
I am wondering how Producer users feel about using a 15.6" screen. Is it big enough? Do I need to go to the 17'3"
At home my desktop monitor is 22" and I really like that.
If anyone can tell me specifications that work well with Producer on a laptop I would be very grateful.

Thanks you ll in advance.

Cheers, Diane

PS I know this question has more or less been asked before but not for a while and specifications do change rapidly in this arena.

Re: Laptop Screen Size

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:14 pm

Mostly a function of what is comfortable for your eyes I think. As we get older, it gets much more difficult to work on small screens. That said, my new 55" Samsung TV will take the input from the computer - I tell people that my display is so big I don't use a mouse ... I use a rat :twisted:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby Tonel » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:39 am

I don't know what screen resolution you work at on your 22" but resolution is something you need to bring into your evaluation of laptops. Look for a 15" laptop with a higher res than the norm - they aren't easy to find here in the UK. The higher the res the more the screen can display. The downside is that the higher the res the smaller the items on display. Failing that, as you're need is for short term occasional use, a standard 15" should be OK and is better than nothing (and cheaper than a 17").

Tony
Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, C=250GB 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PSP9
iMac 27" Retina 5K i5, 24GB RAM, Radeon M295X 4GB, Bootcamp Win10H 64bit

Postby tdew » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:53 am

Diane, try them out in the store. See how comfortable you are with the smaller screen. Keep in mind too that if you go for the bigger one, you also have to pack and carry it when you are on the move.

Postby Diane48 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:23 am

Thanks for your thoughts Mikey. I look forward to playing my shows through the laptop to the TV. I hope you keep your Rat under control ! :D
The thought of having a smaller 15" laptop to carry around is appealing Tony and as you say 15" is better than the nothing that I have at the moment. Thank you for mentioning sceen resolution. I will look into that.
tdew, I will go and suss out the 15" tomorrow and have a good look instead of just walking passed.

Cheers, Diane

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:17 am

I did recently buy a MacBook Pro 15 inch and while I like it a lot, it definitely needs to be close to me when I am working on it (with my reading glasses). Definitely better than nothing (and while I love my new iPod Touch, that sucker is SMALL !!) Definitely would not go smaller than the 15 inch (and as others point out, while 17 is nice, it is not as compact). I think the best suggestion I could give you is to borrow one from someone and try it in the environment you would plan on using it. Only you can decide if that is comfortable or just not worth the trouble (a technically perfect gadget that just does not fit your needs is simply wasted money) :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Diane48 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:38 pm

That is a good idea Mikey. I will borrow my son's 17" and see how I get on with it in the car. Travelling to my daughter means a few very long days of driving so I'm looking forward to having something to do for a few of those hours. Not sure what his resolution is so I will look into that as well. May even load Producer on to it to see how it looks. I can see I have some experimenting to do.
Cheers, Diane

Postby duglas50 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:43 pm

I have a laptop with a 17" screen that I use when I''m away from my desktop that has a dual 22" and a 19" monitor. So to me having the extra real estate outweighs having one that is more compact. My 22" monitor just died so I had to dig out a 19" that I had and I can't believe how much difference the larger monitor makes. Now i'm considering buying one even larger than 22".

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:50 pm

I would also recommend that you stick with the native resolution of whatever size laptop you get. I've seen some people spend the extra money on a large screen and then drop the resolution down because they want everything to be bigger. A guy I know has a 22 inch monitor with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050, but has it set to 1024 x 768. Not only does it look horrible, but everything is distorted to accommodate the different aspect ratio. He loves it, though. Go figure.

Mike

Postby heckydog » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:50 am

My brother is like that. He like the big type size. Says he can't adjust to his bifocals.

His emails are done in 14 or 18 pt bold too. It drives me crazy. He thinks it's funny.

We don't email a lot :wink:

Valued Member

Postby photoshowstudio » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:32 pm

I know this is an older post, but I really addressed the situation I am in right now. I bought a 17" HP Laptop about 6 months ago and it came with Beats Audio speakers in the front. The "trim" for lack of a better idea of what it's calledm around that speaker area is very thin and sure enough, it cracked a little. I have an option to take it back and had considered getting a different one (not really because of that speaker situation, but because I thought the 17" one was just a little too large. Vissually, it's great. I don't have to sit too close. Everything is big, but it really is a huge monster to lug around.

The idea of checking them out in the store helps, but ony to a point. As you all know, the format of Producer is broken up into different sections of varying sizes. While I know that every area can be tweaked in size, you just can't tell how it's truely going to look on the screen until you actually buy it and bring it home and load Proshow on it.

My question is does anyone have a 15.3" laptop that they use for Proshow and what can they tell me about it? Any advice is appreciated.
:lol:

Return to Odds & Ends