Shatter Mask Transition (similar to Photodex Demo)

If you have templates, styles, etc. for sale and you'd like to promote your items please post a link to your own web site here with a description of the items. You will be limited to ONE POST PER WEEK. Posting for other members is not allowed. Follow up responses to posts are not allowed. Any questions or requests must be made in private.

Shatter Mask Transition (similar to Photodex Demo)

Postby VidQueen » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:30 pm

Hiya Folks,

I've had a few people ask about the shattering effect seen in the Photodex Demo. Well, it's a little misleading....you CAN do everything they show in completly inside Producer....IF you have the mask video files.

I plan to create a new tutorial series for "Deconstructing the Photodex Demo". Lots of questions on "How'd They Do That?!".

I've just added the shatter mask transition to my website; here's the full tutorial from You Tube:

Jennifer

Re: Shatter Mask Transition (similar to Photodex Demo)

Postby debngar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:19 pm

Very cool replication of that effect Jennifer. Looks great to me! :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Hi Jennifer,
Wow- Fantastic shatter glass effect! Each frame was perfect from start to finish (as with all your creations). I like this alot!!! Much better than my homemade version I created in Producer some months back :oops: You rock girl!

Hugs,
Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

jeweliek

Postby jeweliek » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Love it
Great Job

Postby PhotoBob » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:20 am

Jennifer
Is there a way that you can use a screen of words with your shatter mask, such as a title screen?
Bob
Producer V5, PS CS6, Lightroom 5, Olympus OMD E-M5
BS Ed Indiana State university, MS Ed Indiana University

Postby VidQueen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:46 am

PhotoBob wrote:Jennifer
Is there a way that you can use a screen of words with your shatter mask, such as a title screen?
Bob

You could....but the results won't be what you're looking for. Here's why:

If I understand what you are wanting, you want to see bits (shatters) of letters fly off the screen. This isn't actually what is taking place with the shatter mask, although it looks that way (that's the illusion!). If you watch the tutorial, at about 5:30, you'll see that the image under the mask doesn't actually move (or shatter, for that matter). The mask is what shatters, not the image.

Now, having said that.....

If you create a text jpg in, say, Photoshop and use it under the shatter mask....if you were to scale it out to around 300% over the .5 seconds that the mask shatters, you very well might get that effect you're looking for!

Let me test it today and I'll share what it would look like :D

Jennifer

Oh...and thanks for the nice comments, everyone! I should have created this a long time ago. I think it was #15,8645,826 on my "To Do" list :wink:

Postby VidQueen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:10 am

Here you go, Bob:

As you can see, the black of the text gets "shattered" as well...so it's not a perfect shatter of text, but it may do what you are looking for :)

Jennifer

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:47 am

Well done Jenn - while you are correct that it is the mask and not the text that shatters, most people would not normally pick up on that - especially in the middle of a show or opening sequence. I have used the Digital Juice "screen smashers" swipes a couple of times and they look quite similar if you don't actually look at it frame by frame (which most people don't). Like in "magic", it is not what really happens, but what appears to happen that people "see" :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby debngar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:01 am

Jennifer,

What if the text layer was a png (white text with no black background) or if it were a screen capture jpg and the black was removed with the chroma key feature was used? The mask over that would appear only over the text then wouldn't it?
Debbie

Postby VidQueen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:08 am

debngar wrote:Jennifer,

What if the text layer was a png (white text with no black background) or if it were a screen capture jpg and the black was removed with the chroma key feature was used? The mask over that would appear only over the text then wouldn't it?

Yes....but you'd see the "reveal" image underneath. The secret behind the illusion is that the second image is complete covered until the shatter reveales it. so....yes...(I just tried what you suggested) the text definatley shatters better as a png....but you could either see the second image the whole time underneath it...or it just pops on when the first keyframe is there....Ok, I could see using the png method for exploding text that is ontop of another image that you didn't want to go away (which may have been what photobob was saying...in which case....YEP!!! You sure can!!!)

man, I'm slow...

Jennifer

Postby VidQueen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:10 am

Ok....actually that's really awsome. I'll post what I did in a little bit....gotta run to an appointment!

Jennifer

Postby VidQueen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:07 am

Ok, here's the text saved as a PNG with an alpha channel....it only works if you intend for the second photo to be seen the entire time:

Jennifer

Postby debngar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:31 am

All one has to do to use that as a "Title" screen is insert a solid color background or whatever. It's all the same concept. What else would it be than that?

This turned out good. Did you leave the mask the same size or make it smaller? I'm thinking the mask can be shrunk to just fit the overall size of the caption so it looks to have more pieces??? Can we see that too - like a before and after?
Debbie

Postby VidQueen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:45 am

debngar wrote: Did you leave the mask the same size or make it smaller? I'm thinking the mask can be shrunk to just fit the overall size of the caption so it looks to have more pieces??? Can we see that too - like a before and after?

No, you wouldn't be able to do that....you'd have the pieces flying into an invisible square (the edge of the mask) if you shrunk the mask down. The mask has to be full screen to give the appearance of the pieces flying out of frame.

Glad you like! Thanks for the direction!!!

Jennifer

Postby debngar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:06 am

VidQueen wrote:
debngar wrote: Did you leave the mask the same size or make it smaller? I'm thinking the mask can be shrunk to just fit the overall size of the caption so it looks to have more pieces??? Can we see that too - like a before and after?

No, you wouldn't be able to do that....you'd have the pieces flying into an invisible square (the edge of the mask) if you shrunk the mask down. The mask has to be full screen to give the appearance of the pieces flying out of frame.

Glad you like! Thanks for the direction!!!

Jennifer

Oh yea, really good point about the size of the screen in that case. Without seeing/testing it firsthand, that didn't occur to me.
Debbie

Next

Return to ProShow Marketplace