Styles Bundle Volume 2 for PSP v4

If you have templates, styles, etc. for sale and you'd like to promote your items please post a link to your own web site here with a description of the items. You will be limited to ONE POST PER WEEK. Posting for other members is not allowed. Follow up responses to posts are not allowed. Any questions or requests must be made in private.

Re: Styles Bundle Volume 2 for PSP v4

Postby im42n8 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:53 pm

Photodex offered us templates in the past. Templates work but they've got their own, unique, problems (so do styles, btw). However, they were/are clunky and not as easy to use as Styles are. Mona and Jennifer have done a great job providing folks with options to effects using templates (and/or PSH-based templates, aka full-shows?). Styles offered a much easier venue for giving access to these different effects that are possible. I've had some of these effects around for years but they weren't exactly something I wanted to provide as an offering in template or PSH. Styles made it easier for everyone to use them. (ha! and I'm also offering a version of those same effects for v3.2/v3.5 users in the form of a PSH file! If I hadn't, they'd be left out!).

Photodex provided the means and didn't make it proprietary (that is, you had to buy-in to be able to let someone use something you've created), or closed. They may not have intended for another market to grow ... but they were probably aware that it was a possibility (Jennifer's been doing this awhile now ... years. Mona's been doing this for over a year!). But then too, we wouldn't be having this opportunity if there were no photodex ... there'd be no Producer and no Gold! We'd be doing shows (or trying) in Premiere Pro/Vegas/etc!

I agree Mona, Photodex was out to impress.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby trulytango » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:42 pm

im42n8 wrote:I agree Mona, Photodex was out to impress.
Dale

And impress they did! It knocks spots off their 1st pack!

I think they are right on with what they have provided in pack 2 and the direction they are going. They have provided effects that people want! Effects that the majority of people could not fathom out in a month of Sundays - and yes, a bunch of effects that would take the rest of us several months of Sundays to put together :lol:

The fact that we will be seeing many a flying, tumbling, shadowy Grandma is nothing new is it? As always - people will continue to use effects just for the sake of using effects :roll: But, with the right image content, and in the right hands e.g. Ab and Sheldon's latest shows8) ... these styles will work wonderfully and give a very modern edged, professional result. They might even inspire some other people to choose the right images... and if that's the case, their shows will be a pleasure to watch!

I have bought the pack... and gone through the painstaking process of getting them all into one category! I like them that much!

Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby PhotoBob » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:30 am

trulytango wrote:
im42n8 wrote:I agree Mona, Photodex was out to impress.
Dale

And impress they did! It knocks spots off their 1st pack!

Iris

Yes, that was a very impressive set of styles. In order for them to come out with something else later on, their next set of styles are going to have to jump off of the charts in order to beat what they have.....
Producer V5, PS CS6, Lightroom 5, Olympus OMD E-M5
BS Ed Indiana State university, MS Ed Indiana University

Postby trulytango » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:54 am

Dale! :oops:

Sorry for going a little off-topic - I just dived into this thread earlier when I saw the words Styles and the number 2.

Your latest pack is brilliant - just love the page roll! I often use Photo Story in my work with adults in the community, and the page roll is a subtle, really useful and pleasant effect. Nice to see you achieve this, rather than the design team over at Photodex!

Well done - you are going from strength to strength 8)

TTFN
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:38 am

Iris,

Thanx! I doubt that Photodex will ever really do what you, me, Jennifer, Mona, or Barbara are doing. Their first pack was too simple I think so they went the other way. You stated it better than me when you said the people will be using the styles/effects just to use them (like using as many transitions as possible in a show). This latest package of their is more oriented to marketing than it is for viewers. At first people will over-use the effects because they're so ... WOW! But, like using too many transitions, once they figure out how to get the viewer into the picture then they'll figure out how to properly use the "wow" styles to effect (and more appropriately). That way the viewer can actually see the images vs see them go by and not really get to see them. When that happens the viewers will enjoy the show more. If a show is all fluff and no substance it wears thin quick (you can't get by on great photos and wow/flash alone ... at least not unless that was the intent :) !).

These other styles the rest of us are developing definitely have their place too. They're not quite as flashy or overstated. They are, however and by and large, not simple. Some are very complex too (if not the implementation, the thought processes behind them) ... but still easy to use! I think they appeal the the wider audience at large.

I haven't gotten any of the Photodex stuff because it was stuff (at least most of it) I'd probably never use in any of my shows w/o more than a bit of modification.

I'm glad you like the new bundle! I found I had to slow the page roll down a bit from what i started out doing so that I could actually see the roll! It's a nice effect!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby AMD » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:19 pm

I purchased Photodex's second bundle of styles but, frankly, have been a bit disappointed when I tried several of them in my little regular "people" slide shows. Many are just a bit too "effect-oriented" for many of my shows. I am sure that they will be great for professional photographers showcasing some of their work.

Most of my shows elicit responses such as "Gosh, look how young Jim Bob looked then" or "Geez, wasn't I skinny then." I do like special effects and some do really add to the interest and audience's perception of a show by adding flair, fun, and sophistication. I, though, find that most members of an audience are looking mainly at the images. They don't want to see the images fly across the screen leaving a path of "speed streaks" or split into three parts and then slide together. They can get that by paying a small amount to Animoto and uploading their images themselves and getting a canned show that is rife with bounce and randomly flying images zooming by at break-neck speed.

Quite frankly, my clients have liked many of the nice effects provided in many of the more basic templates supplied by forum members (free and purchased). I will be using templates from both of Photodex's sets and will probably purchase others they market but will be prudent in the use of them.

Ann

Postby VidQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:15 pm

Ok...I'm jumpin' in this conversation, Dale!

First...Webscapes...Backtraxx...It's sad when you can recognize a royalty free song in the first 2 seconds. LOL!!

LOVE the new style pack, Dale. The rolls are just awsome. You've found a creative way to create some really nice effects. I think I've sent several people your way specifically looking for a page peel. The other ones I really liked were the Expanding Frames and the Carousels (I need to either update mine or just get rid of it. I built it nearly 3 years ago and it's age is definatley showing!).

I have a suggestion, if I may...in your previews, particularly in styles where you want to empasize that a photo/layer has changed....try using drastically different photos. Almost all of your photos were landscapes or scenery of some kind. When you demonstrated the carousels...and added text to show where a new photo was added...I had no idea which one was the added one...they were all landscapes.

On the sub-topic of Photodex and other "Style Merchants", there's room for everyone. Photodex has their own team of designers; they won't be looking to hire us. I had a lengthy email exchange with Paul after the first Style Pack came out (the similarities took me and many others by suprise). They aren't "stealing" our ideas, they wrote the program, I'm pretty sure they know how to use it. The most basic ideas for photo slide show animations are already out there and have been for years (long before ProShow came out, actually). The first Photodex style pack was simply their "take" on the basics. Some of us just came out with our versions of the basics before they did, that's all.

There are so many different creative styles and uses for ProShow, the possiblities are limitless. You have your professional photogaphers (looking for clean styles that don't detract from their photos *Shout out to Deb Green!!*), you have small photo montage buisnesses (looking for fast, efficient, but high quality templates for home-baked photos that they, somehow, have to make look better than when "Grandpa Bob" took the photo in 1974) and you have your hobbiest (just needing something cute for their grandchild's 3rd birthday video).

I launched my website 3 1/2 years ago (but it seems like yesterday...) and the one thing I can pass to the new merchants in town is this: you can't please everyone all the time. Don't try. Create what you love. If your passion comes out in your work, others will see it as well, and you will succeed.

Best of luck to everyone in their creative journey!

Jennifer

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:04 pm

Thanks Jennifer!

Well, I think I need to update the demo in a few areas ... I agree about those things ... I rushed it too much and didn't follow through with a few ideas as well as I should have! You've validated that feeling I had there!

Dale

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:30 am

Jennifer, I needed in the worst way to read the last part of what you wrote because I was beginning to think I should alter my style to suit more people. Thank you for reminding me, and doubtless others too, that being true to one's own self is vital. We can't excel at being someone else. We can do that only by being who and what we already are.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby VidQueen » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:57 am

BarbaraC wrote:Jennifer, I needed in the worst way to read the last part of what you wrote because I was beginning to think I should alter my style to suit more people. Thank you for reminding me, and doubtless others too, that being true to one's own self is vital. We can't excel at being someone else. We can do that only by being who and what we already are.

Barbara

Hi Barbara!

I learned this lesson in many different ways from many different people. One that comes to mind is Enthusiast Debbie Green. She keeps her shows simple and elegant. She has many times mentioned her dislike for crazy-fly-in-your-face graphics that detract from her photos (which are always beautiful and professional....unlike mine!). I, for the most part, create crazy-fly-in-your-face graphics :lol:

That doesn't mean either one of us are right or wrong, it means everyone has their own style. If I could create an Enthusiast Bumper Sticker that says: "Form Follows Function", I would. Every video will have a different function and, therefore, should have a different form. The creators personal taste in style will heavily influence that form. Some will like your style; some won't.

Stick to what you love and you'll be just fine:)

Jennifer

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:12 am

Weirdness, Jennifer! I just tried to copy and paste your "Stick to what you love and you'll be just fine," and here's what got pasted: bridge0000@yahoo.com. I replaced the four numbers with 0's because it's very obviously an email address that somehow got embedded in your last line.

What I wanted to say after quoting the haunted sentence is that I think we're all stuck with our own styles regardless of how we try to change. If we alter what we're doing, we never accomplish anything of value. I know this, and yet I periodically waver in my belief. I'm a minimalist, preferring haiku to Shakespeare. I also happen to love the things you do and the things that Debbie does too, and therein lies the truth: admiring what someone else does isn't a sign that we shouldn't also admire what we ourselves do.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:57 am

VidQueen wrote:
BarbaraC wrote:Jennifer, I needed in the worst way to read the last part of what you wrote because I was beginning to think I should alter my style to suit more people. Thank you for reminding me, and doubtless others too, that being true to one's own self is vital. We can't excel at being someone else. We can do that only by being who and what we already are.

Barbara

Hi Barbara!

I learned this lesson in many different ways from many different people. One that comes to mind is Enthusiast Debbie Green. She keeps her shows simple and elegant. She has many times mentioned her dislike for crazy-fly-in-your-face graphics that detract from her photos (which are always beautiful and professional....unlike mine!). I, for the most part, create crazy-fly-in-your-face graphics :lol:

That doesn't mean either one of us are right or wrong, it means everyone has their own style. If I could create an Enthusiast Bumper Sticker that says: "Form Follows Function", I would. Every video will have a different function and, therefore, should have a different form. The creators personal taste in style will heavily influence that form. Some will like your style; some won't.

Stick to what you love and you'll be just fine:)

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your kind thoughts/comments on my creative stuff. I hope I don't claim to have to always do things a certain way exactly but just that my style often leans toward being more simplistic as you noted. That said, I'm open to some of the newer active slide displays, have thought about your work and have a lot of respect for what you've produced and said over the past few years regarding show design.

I think you've taught me to be aware of the audience. Some may lean toward shows with more movement and energy and some prefer a more sedate display of images. There is room for all kinds of styles else it would be boring to watch them if they were all static one image displays over and over! :D Funny, I can also get bored watching shows that indiscriminately use a plethora of styles and movement with no purpose in mind behind them.

Your production "Purposeful Motion" is a good show design basic "how to" I think anyone can benefit from watching.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=124704

I've been inspired by simple show design AND the more active style of show design.

I've been a bit bored with my own stuff lately so one of these days maybe I'll attempt making a more wilder looking show when I get the time and proper images to put something together! :D

All the best and success to you and everyone who loves this creative process!
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Previous

Return to ProShow Marketplace