Need Suggestions For Website Building

If you have templates, styles, etc. for sale and you'd like to promote your items please post a link to your own web site here with a description of the items. You will be limited to ONE POST PER WEEK. Posting for other members is not allowed. Follow up responses to posts are not allowed. Any questions or requests must be made in private.
Lynne

Need Suggestions For Website Building

Postby Lynne » Thu May 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi Guys,

Well, this is getting quite overwhelming. I've visited a lot of sites both photography and those who have sites specifically for their slideshows. Can anyone please give me a couple (or more) of good suggestions who to go with and definitely who to stay away from?

Really need to make sure that it's compatible with Proshow Producer. I really would rather not post my slideshows through youtube. I've noticed that some of you are posting through Photodex and I'm not sure what the other platform are. Maybe adobe and windows media.

I'm very new at this and as much as I'm looking for an easy to work with site, I learn pretty quickly so having said that, I'm looking for your best advice. Bring them on! haha!

Thank-you so much in advance.

Site Admin

Re: Need Suggestions For Website Building

Postby MG - Admin » Thu May 14, 2009 5:16 pm

Lynne:

You didn't mention if you were building your site for business or for pleasure.

I don't know if you've looked at my site, but I've created a simple page that links to my shows (Example). Some shows have the option of viewing a YouTube version, but they all have Presenter viewing options. You can offer any format such as Flash, WMV, etc. for your viewers. It's all just a matter of finding a format that gives you the quality you want and using the proper tools to embed it into your pages.

I started building my web pages with Microsoft's FrontPage software, but now just use WordPad to add or make changes to them. There are free templates available on the web that you can also use, but adding slideshows might require altering the code to allow for them to play. This might require a bit of understanding of HTML. Sometimes it's just a matter of copying and pasting code, but you'll need to know where to put it.

If you have any other questions let us know.

Mike

Lynne

Postby Lynne » Thu May 14, 2009 6:26 pm

Hey Mike,

I love your site! I love how nicely the slideshows open and I love their size also! Great work! :D Unfortunately, I am not as savvy as you are with html's and codes and all. :( Great shows too. Who is your blog with?

Thank-you so much for the advice. I am googling wordpad right now. I've never used Frontpage, gonna take a look at that too. Who knows, I've learned a lot in the last month - I'm up to learning more!

Thank-you again!

Lynne

Esteemed Member

Postby nwenban » Thu May 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi Lynne,

To build a website you need some software, can be as basic as a text editor or a fully optioned application such as dreamweaver (=$$$).
To design using a text editor you will need to know the commands or code. To see the code on a real website, just right click your mouse on a blank section of a webpage (this one will do) & choose "View Page Source" - yep it will probably be totally confusing.
Probably best to start with a freebie WYSIWYG webpage editor, there are a number out there, http://kompozer.net/ is one of them. Why not download it & have a play?
Then when you have you site designed, you will need to put it on the web somewhere, most ISP's provide some website hosting as part of your deal. (At least they do down here!). You will be FTP'ing it from your PC to the WWW.

This will give you some more to thing about & probably even more questions us to answer!!

Neville

PS: Here's a great site on how & where to start
http://wysifauthoring.informe.com/forum/beginner-q-a-f21/how-do-i-begin-authoring-my-site-t63.html
Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly!!

Postby czali » Fri May 15, 2009 4:59 am

Lynne,

I use this software http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/h ... ilder.html . You do not need to know HTML. It really is very easy to learn. They have templates but I created mine from scratch. They also have a very helpful forum.

I am going to be making a site for my husband soon and I found this the other day
http://www.artisteer.com/?p=demo . You do not have the flexibilty to do what ever you want but the sites created look really sharp. You also need to look into what software you would need to load the page. It looks like it creates the template and then you need frontpage for a text editor. Not sure?

Colleen

Postby debngar » Fri May 15, 2009 6:05 am

I use Wordpress for my blog and don't have to know any code to make it work. I haven't done much to spice it up but am happy to have something a bit more customized than a free Wordpress blog at this point.

Wordpress is free blogging software. You can make any blog look and act like any "website". I happen to use a purchased template so any changes I do can be done through menus or coding if I knew how to do that. There are thousands of blog templates out there or you can learn CSS coding (sort of like knowing HTML) and make changes to the free templates Wordpress gives you to begin with or other free or purchased templates out there to choose from. They have a forum to answer any questions on Wordpress stuff, just like this forum is for ProShow.

If you host your site via Wordpress, that is free. But there are restrictions on what you can change and put into your site so the alternative when you want to customize is to still use Wordpress but purchase your own domain name and pay to host your own webspace through a service like GoDaddy or others that are out there. Some are better than others but I'm not that familiar with very many.

I think the task is very overwhelming to start completely from scratch to design a website regardless of what platform one uses. It took me a while to finally get the hang of knowing how to upload the template and files in the right place to the server. But once I did that, the whole website was up in a day or so, formatted sort of has you see it with a few posts. As time has gone by, I've added things and switched stuff around to make it the way I want. Without knowing ANY coding, I can change colors, backgrounds, add more pictures to the flash banner (no time these days though), add menu buttons, change text, etc so I'm pretty happy with this template. All formatting changes and most file uploading of images and creation of posts are pretty much done when I'm logged onto my blog.

It's only a one column template though (what I wanted) and there are others out there that may suit your fancy if you want more than one column.

This "Modularity" video theme template looks pretty neat and allows for full screen HD slide shows. (Click on the show and and button on the lower right of the control panel to view full screen.)

http://graphpaperpress.com/demo/modular ... Modularity

See here for a list of features:
http://graphpaperpress.com/2008/10/05/m ... wordpress/
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Lynne

Postby Lynne » Fri May 15, 2009 7:26 am

This is all fantastic advise. Thank-you everyone for responding to me and for all the information and instructions. :D I am researching right now!

Return to ProShow Marketplace