Instructions for Elements & PaintShop

If you have templates, styles, etc. for sale and you'd like to promote your items please post a link to your own web site here with a description of the items. You will be limited to ONE POST PER WEEK. Posting for other members is not allowed. Follow up responses to posts are not allowed. Any questions or requests must be made in private.

Instructions for Elements & PaintShop

Postby BarbaraC » Sat May 02, 2009 7:53 am

Whenever someone asks me how to do basic framing work in anything other than Photoshop, I'm totally lost because PS is all I've ever used. It looks as if the majority of people here use Elements, not CS, and those who use neither are using PaintShop Pro. I'd like to place a free PDF on my site that supplies basic directions for fitting a picture in a frame and that's written in terms of the three most-used editors. If someone would volunteer to point out the differences between the following directions for CS and Elements, and if someone else would do so for PaintShop Pro, I could write up the directions and post them at my site. Thanks for any and all help.

Barbara

Fit An Image Within a Frame

(1) Open the frame.
(2) Open the picture file, and while holding the Shift key, drag it over onto the frame. (The Shift key causes the picture to be centered.)
(3) Close the picture image.
(4) Click on your picture in the Layers palette and slide it down beneath the frame layer.
(5) Using the Move tool, move your picture until it's where you want it within the frame.
(6) If the picture is too large or small for the frame, go to Edit > Transform > Scale, and while holding the Shift key, drag a corner handle (little box) toward or away from the center to resize the picture. Before accepting the change in size, you can reposition the picture by placing the cursor inside the picture and shifting it. When satisfied, press Enter to accept the changes.
(7) The picture will very likely be spilling out beyond the borders of the frame if there's extra transparent space around that frame, so choose one of the marquee tools (usually the rectangle) and create a selection that falls within the frame's borders between its inner and outer edges. Invert the selection and press Delete.
(8) If you want the frame and your picture as a single file, click the frame in the Layers palette, then press ^E to merge the two layers. Perform a Save As.
[or]
If you want your resized picture as a separate file, delete the frame layer before performing a Save As.
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: Instructions for Elements & PaintShop

Postby cherub » Sat May 02, 2009 8:07 am

Sure, for PaintShop Pro ! :D

Postby BarbaraC » Sat May 02, 2009 8:32 am

I happily accept your offer, Mona!

Any volunteers for Elements, or is it done exactly the same there as it is in CS?

Barbara

Postby Cyclops » Sat May 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Barbara, I have Photoshop Elements 6 and this was the only way I could figure out how to get the same results. The two changes I made (hopefully) are in red in sections 6 and 7. Otherwise everything else worked as you have indicated. Very simply worded. Thank you.

(1) Open the frame.
(2) Open the picture file, and while holding the Shift key, drag it over onto the frame. (The Shift key causes the picture to be centered.)
(3) Close the picture image.
(4) Click on your picture in the Layers palette and slide it down beneath the frame layer.
(5) Using the Move tool, move your picture until it's where you want it within the frame.
(6) If the picture is too large or small for the frame, use the move tool and drag a corner handle (little box) toward or away from the center to resize the picture. Before accepting the change in size, you can reposition the picture by placing the cursor inside the picture and shifting it. When satisfied, press Enter to accept the changes.
(7) The picture will very likely be spilling out beyond the borders of the frame if there's extra transparent space around that frame, so choose one of the marquee tools (usually the rectangle) and create a selection that falls within the frame's borders between its inner and outer edges. In the menu choose Select > Inverse to Invert the selection and press Delete.
(8) If you want the frame and your picture as a single file, click the frame in the Layers palette, then press ^E to merge the two layers. Perform a Save As.
[or]
If you want your resized picture as a separate file, delete the frame layer before performing a Save As.
Carolyn

Postby BarbaraC » Sun May 03, 2009 7:37 am

Thank you so much, Carolyn. Because I left out "Select > Inverse" in my instructions (forgetting that some may be new to Photoshop), that particular change of yours will be added to my instructions. The one true difference is that, apparently, Elements doesn't have Transform, and I was surprised to discover that the Move tool is what's used for resizing. In any case, it appears I can combine the instructions for CS and Elements with that one small difference placed in brackets.

I now have instructions for CS, Elements, PaintShop Pro (Mona), and GIMP (provided by Anna J). That should pretty much cover it. I hope.

Barbara

Postby duglas50 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi Barbara,
Just wanted to let you know that Elements does contain Transform. Its under Image>Transform>FreeTransform. You can change the size of the image using the move tool as Carolyn suggested or by using free transform.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Postby BarbaraC » Tue May 05, 2009 9:25 am

Thanks, Doug. You caught me just in time. I've been putting together the PDF, and so it's still not uploaded. It's so much easier to change things BEFORE uploading. :D

Barbara

Postby Cyclops » Tue May 05, 2009 11:33 am

Hi Doug. I had tried the Transform but the image went all wonky when I tried to move it. How can I avoid that?
Carolyn

Postby duglas50 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Sorry Caroyln I don't know what to tell you. It worked fine for me using Elements 6.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Postby Cyclops » Wed May 06, 2009 10:55 am

Duh...a senior moment. I forgot to hold the shift key. sheesh
Carolyn

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 06, 2009 1:23 pm

What, by the way, do you call a senior moment when it's someone young experiencing it? I've been having those moments all my life. Of course, now they really are senior moments. :(

Barbara

Return to ProShow Marketplace