Help AGAIN if.dnt

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Esteemed Member

Help AGAIN if.dnt

Postby flyrobynfly » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:48 pm

I cannot believe this, I have a huge project and now I'm getting the error if.dnt I'm at my wits end. 268 photos and Producer keeps crashing. I've uninstalled, I deleted the pxc file, i've re-installed, I deleted the files that Debbie suggested in this post http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewt ... 9573#49573 I'm totally frustrated, it seems everytime I have a big Project producer does this. I love this software but I don't like this side of it. Any suggestions or Help would be appreciated.
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~ Joseph Chilton Pearce

Photoshop CS2, PSG & PSP, Kodak C653

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:44 am

First question(s) -- how much RAM and what OS are you using (XP, Vista or what?)?

While this may not be the answer you want, I ran into a similar issue with producer
going goofy and getting very s-l-o-w at about 280 slides on my last project. I
ended up splitting it into 4 segments of about 200-250 each as a Project then
exporting each segment as an uncompressed avi (remember any unused disk
space is simply wasted :D ). Used my video editor - Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum
to put the pieces back together, add a couple of cool transitions and to author
the DVD (DVD Architect Studio is part of the Movie Studio package) and does a much
better job than Proshow at the DVD. If you have any video you plan on
working with, you might consider getting either the Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum
(which does AC3 for the sound compression) or Premiere Elements. Both in the
$100 range. I still had an hour to two left before I had to have mine done for
the end of the year party when I got it put together. Time to spare !! :shock:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

if.dnt

Postby ezwriter » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:33 pm

I've not seen this problem, but I googled it and came up with this response. Don't know if it's right, but when you uninstalled and reinstalled, did you disable your AntiVirus software first? If not, you might try doing it again. You could even try uninstalling your AntiVirus, then uninstall PSP, reinstall PSP, and then reinstall your AntiVirus software.

"This is usually caused by a scenario in which Windows doesn't actually write the data to the disk and a hard system crash occurs. Or, perhaps even more frequently, when a virus scanner has made the operating system malfunction and the data written to the database file (def.phd) isn't written properly. We see problems with AV software causing this kind of thing all the time. The software on a clean machine just won't do what the user is describing without some sort of catastrophic malfunction.

The solution is to uninstall and reinstall the software (preferrably with all AV software disabled!)

Hope this helps (this from one of the Photodex gurus)"

Esteemed Member

Postby flyrobynfly » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks for the replies, I called Photodex who had me uninstall the 2 standard files def.phd and the cpic.opt. He asked me about my anti virus and when I told him I had McAfee he said OK, not to disable it or anything. As we were discussing matters he told me the problem would come back and I agreed and for some reason he said one of the things Producer doesn't like is Networking. Uhoh I said, my pictures are on my C drive but all the goodies were on the network sharing with my husband, he told me to put everything on the C drive and since then (touch wood) I've had no problems.

Mikey, I am planning on getting a good video editor and an authoring software too, its time, business is picking up (touch wood) so thanks for the recommendation and ezwriter thanks for taking the time to research this and coming up with a good solution.
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~ Joseph Chilton Pearce

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:52 pm

Ah ha !! Your comment on networking. There have been a number of reports of problems
with files shared across the network via a network drive of some sort. I don't know why
Photodex can't handle it though - it's not like this is something new this "network" stuff.
Oh well, that was probably the issue.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby flyrobynfly » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:54 am

Since I've transferred everything to the C drive I've had no problems (touch wood). So networking is a no no with Proshow. :lol:

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting