Help...uploading to Photodex

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Ladybug

Diana & Jerry and all....Thanks for the info!

Postby Ladybug » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:24 pm

What about McAffee? I've had issues with that one.

I'm nervous about trying a different security, but will give your suggestion a try. Makes sense. That's probably the answer to why another system of my son's slowed down. We couldn't figure it out. In that case, I switched from McAffee to Norton. I'll switch it back again.

Diana, Cudos to you for your perserverance. I remember Basic and DOS...never got into Colbalt or Fortran, took a different path. No GUI for me either in the beginning....remember the 'amazing' DOS Menus? :lol: My first job during college was 'keypuncher' at a local bank's computer center. Technology is truly amazing.

I left the techy enviro for more creative and Sales arenas. I sold 'graphics' systems that used AT & T Truvision cards, Lyon Lamb external animators (Star Wars was done with one) with first dedicated processors for animation, Matrix cards and you 'captured' photos by taking a picture with a camera connected to Matrix cards. Seems all this new stuff would be so simple compared to the old antiquated methods. Not! I remember when a Personal Computer was IBM, BW monitor, CGA graphics, 64mb ram, 2-5 1/4 floppies!! It cost ONLY $4,000. The first Compaq with Color and 10MB hard drive...that's 10 MEGABYTE, not GIGabyte, was $6K. I remember the first Windows GUI and everyone predicted an early death because of Apple GUI. Gotta give Bill Gates credit for some things! :wink: Do you remember 'Synoptics', the first RJ45 telephone wire network? IBMToken Ring? Novell? I am really aging myself!! :lol:

Anyway, I'm gonna give all suggestions a try....just not today. My 'day' job is Interior Designer. How I got from computers to that sometimes puzzles even me!

Thanks.
Barb

Honorary ProShow PHD

So...

Postby dilyla » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:13 pm

If I sent you a data punch card, you could read it, huh?

I used to amaze kids in our local school district with stories of how "computers" were as large as the computer lab we were sitting in. They kind of got the picture when they'd picture the flashing light boards on "Star Trek." HA!

Token ring? Synoptics? Novell? Yep. Yep. Yep. I worked for a data processing branch of McDonnell Douglas Aircraft for a couple of years so you know THAT was cutting edge!! I remember the "move" in the early 70's from the data card readers to the reel-to-reel. Quite impressive at the time!

Windows GUI? Hated it. I still use DOS a lot in my computer business. Can still make it jump through the loops to get the information I want. Still make & use DOS menus to run some of the bat commands I use for diagnostics.

Text based internet? Public BBS's? That I wouldn't want to EVER go back to! Nor, that alien-green computer screen!! I remember one of the first "personal" computers I had with MAYBE a 100MB hard drive. Didn't think I'd ever fill that HUGE drive up. HA! Now I run several computers networked totalling several terabytes of hard drive space in my home office.

Thanks for the 'walk down memory lane!' Even though we did sorta expose what generation we're from!!! :lol:

Good luck with trying to diagnose your problem. By the way, even though you are way down on the upload speed you're paying for, the 486 kbps you tested at should still only take minutes, not hours, to upload to Photodex. I'd put the suspect Norton as #1 on the list to start troubleshooting with.

If problems persist after you troubleshoot, post back & we'll brainstorm some more!

-- Diana

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:36 pm

I have a question for you old ladies. (I can call you that because I'm also of dubious age, having come from CP/M days.) Is it all of Norton that causes problems or is it specifically the internet security variety? I ask this because I use just Norton Anti-Virus and have never had a problem with it at all. I won't go near McAfee, by the way, not after it managed a few years ago to totally trash my computer.

Barbara

Honorary ProShow PHD

Fellow "Elder" Barbara ;-)

Postby dilyla » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:14 pm

Not just Norton Internet Security; Norton Antivirus, too. I am not a huge fan of McAfee either, but it seems the lesser of two evils if I had to pick. My experience with that one is more on the lines of not catching the viruses rather than causing other software 'bugs' or processor bottlenecks.

I'd suggest to get rid of Norton AV & go to some other non-invasive antivirus software.

First of all, you'll probably find a lot of mysterious errors, lock-ups, strange quirks in other software, etc will mysteriously go away as fast as it takes you to uninstall Norton. Secondly, once uninstalled & you've cleaned the registry (Norton is a bear to try to get completely removed), you'll think you've just been handed a brand-spanking new computer from increased performance. For one, you'll recover lots of memory that Norton has been 'hogging.'

As a side note, for those that do uninstall Norton, Symantec has a "Norton removal tool" on their website to handle the uninstall and clean-up the mess it leaves behind. If you use Add/Remove for the uninstall & uninstall in the wrong order (there is more than just "Norton" to uninstall... there's Live Update & Symantec) you'll just compound into a bigger problem. Here's Norton's link for the uninstall software depending on the version you have:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/ts ... enDocument

If you're using ACT, pcAnywhere, or WinFAX, be sure to follow the instructions on their website or risk loosing data from these programs.

- Diana

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:21 pm

Have you heard of ezArmor? My ISP offers it for free, but I've resisted it, not knowing anything about it and being generally too lazy (or maybe too old) to do the research.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:43 pm

BarbaraC wrote:I have a question for you old ladies. (I can call you that because I'm also of dubious age, having come from CP/M days.) Is it all of Norton that causes problems or is it specifically the internet security variety? I ask this because I use just Norton Anti-Virus and have never had a problem with it at all. I won't go near McAfee, by the way, not after it managed a few years ago to totally trash my computer.

Barbara

No, not all of Norton is bad ... only the parts you install on your computer cause problems :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

EZArmor

Postby dilyla » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:02 pm

Barbara--

This is software by Computer Associates ETrust. I tested/tried their CA Internet Security Suite & was pretty impressed with it's performance. If it's the EZArmor Suite your ISP offers, I think it includes the email scanning & a firewall. Don't believe the stand alone antivirus handles email & I certainly wouldn't recommend not having your email covered from viruses. But I think just the antivirus software alone is called EZ Antivirus, or something like that, so I assume since you said EZArmor, your ISP offers the package w/firewall.

Ratings on the antivirus show it's stealth protection, meaning it runs in the background. System performance lag not as bad as Norton. In fact, in benchmark tests it showed only a 3% performance drop... Not bad. Ranked first as far as speed in actually scanning for viruses (I assume this means manual scans.)

If your ISP offers it free, I would certainly give it a try. I can't remember if it has automatic virus definition updates or not... that's usually the cause of people getting viruses. Not because of failure of the software, but rather failure of the user when they have to remember to manually check for virus software updates. The Avast software (mentioned above) that I have used for a couple of years has at times automatically updated my virus definitions a couple of times a day. Some people MIGHT check once a month for manual virus updates if left on their own to update. I consider the automatic updates a big feature in AV software.

Hope I helped - Diana

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:13 pm

Yes, Diana, you did help. I'll have to check it out to make sure I can turn off the firewall since I use a router. It really bothers me that I have a good bit left on the year's subscription, so maybe what I'll do is take the time to investigate EZArmor and also Avast, comparing them.

Thanks for the information.

Barbara

Ladybug

Postby Ladybug » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:49 pm

gpsmikey wrote:
BarbaraC wrote:I have a question for you old ladies. (I can call you that because I'm also of dubious age, having come from CP/M days.) Is it all of Norton that causes problems or is it specifically the internet security variety? I ask this because I use just Norton Anti-Virus and have never had a problem with it at all. I won't go near McAfee, by the way, not after it managed a few years ago to totally trash my computer.

Barbara

No, not all of Norton is bad ... only the parts you install on your computer cause problems :D

mikey

:lol:
Thanks all for the smiles. I'll test and get back to you!

BTW....how on earth have Norton and McAffee prevailed for so long....must be some vast 'right-wing' conspiracy! :wink:

Barb

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:23 pm

Ladybug wrote:
gpsmikey wrote:

Barbara

mikey

:lol:
Thanks all for the smiles. I'll test and get back to you!

BTW....how on earth have Norton and McAffee prevailed for so long....must be some vast 'right-wing' conspiracy! :wink:

Barb

Actually, you're not that far off. Symantec has this way of buying up the competition
and absorbing it (or dropping it). Norton used to be a very good set of utilities from
almost back in the CP/M days (I still have a CP/M system downstairs :D ) - they were
bought out by Symantec and became bloatware with the good stuff gone. Sygate was
an excellent freeware (and a payware version) firewall. Purchased by Symantec, now
gone. Drive Image and Partition Magic from Powerquest were good drive imaging
and partitioning utilities. Purchased by Symantec (competition for their Ghost stuff).
Now essentially gone. See the pattern here ?? :evil:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby nannybear » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 am

http://shop.trendmicro.com/?site=Google ... IgodDntOgQ

I have used Trend for the last 10 years and never had a problem. I also use Systme Mechanic Pro to stay clutter free and clean.....Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Previous

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting