Curvy Edges

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Curvy Edges

Postby midiboy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:59 am

I'll try again. I am using Kylie's Template for my show. When I look at it on my TV the edges are wavy instead of straight. The photos are fine except for the edges on the left and right sides only. And as the show go on the distortion on the sides get worse. This happens on all my show that are not full screen. If a do any motion effects at all I get this problem in all my shows when viewed on TV. No problem on the computer the edges are beautiful and straight.
But only show up after burning. I've two computers and it creates the same problem on both.
I have four dvd burners and burned on all four and still the same. Did Iso on all four burners the same. I've used Nero and ImgBurn and still same problem. I've reinstalled many times no change. Contacted Photodex and sent them a copy of the video and still no resolution. Hope that someone has come across this problem and has a solution.

Thanks,

Midiboy

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:50 pm

midiboy

I would think that this is more a problem with the horizontal sync of the TV and nothing to do with the show.

Brian

kjohnsenwi

anti flicker

Postby kjohnsenwi » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:06 pm

I have heard that if you deselect the "apply anti-flicker filter to video" in the Output Options box (after you select Create DVD) that you will get smoother edges. Of course, if you're including video, you won't want to do this. It's worth a try, though....

good luck,
Kelly

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:16 pm

Just out of curiosity, how does it look if you play it on a different TV ??
In general, "curvy lines" are something like barrel distortion etc. Most
of the CRT based TV's had adjustments (out of sight) for "pincushion" etc.
Usually, in the digital world, you will not find things being bent like that
unless you tell it to - only in the analog world do you usually see things
like that (CRT or glass lens etc).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby midiboy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:15 am

Thanks for your suggestions. I've shown my shows on other folks TV and still the curvy edges. If I just do a full screen there isn't a problem. Only when I show background-black bkgnd or an animated bckgnd such as digital juice. I've had this problem since January and haven't a clue as to the solution. I can't send out shows like this, so the only option at this point is full screen shows. Hopefully something will show up soon. Love the program but can't use its full potential at the moment. Also my TV is Digital with surround sound, which I have a 6.1 dvd surround sound system hooked up. But I also have another dvd/vhs player hooked into the system also. The problem is also present in both players. So I tend to believe somewhere between rendering and burning the DVD that I have created the problem.

Midiboy

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:52 am

I was thinking (dangerous I know), I still think it is the TV scanning that is causing this...digital or not, if it is NTSE TV you are running Interlaced scanning, straight edges are near impossible. Especialy diagnal lines or edges. Your computer is scanning Progressive which is all the scanlines in one pass instead of two. Interlaced is done in two passes even lines first, then odd lines...or vice versa. This gives the venician blind effect or black stripes that may show up as curvy lines on the edges.

Resolution on NTSE TV's stinks compaired to your computer screen. For many of the same reasons stated above certain text fonts do not display well on TV's due to this interlaced scanning that NTSE uses. A digital TV does not gaurentee a good picture.. Hi Defination has to be digital, but a Digital tv does not mean that it is Hi Defination. 8)

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:38 am

Yep, I still think it is horizontal sync on the TV that is the problem. If the DVD plays on a PC and shows vertical lines on the monitor it must be the TV, or the player, but I still suspect the TV, as previously stated. Remember you may have a digital TV but your player is supplying an analogue signal to it, which is processed analogue and finally converted digital to you LCD/plasma screen.

Do you remember having a CRT monitor and reducing the width of the frame and seeing the out-of-line edge.

Brian

Postby midiboy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:39 pm

Thanks Friends,

Brian if my TV or DVD Player is at fault. Then doing motion, less than full screen, will generate the wavy edges on both sides of my photos that are floating around in the center. The background edges show no problems because they are full screen. Only the photos which are floating around have the curvy edges. If that is the case, then it wouldn't be of benefit to produce this type of show because the buyer would see the same problem on their TV if they don't have a Digital TV or DVD Player. Am I right? But they would see it perfectly on any Computer. Even when I do a menu in Producer the small photo in the center has this distortion. Like the left and right sides on your avatar they are curvy not straight. Top and Bottom Edge are perfectly straight. Then the best solution is to do full screen only on dvd and/or have a nice animated show for the computer only. Is this reasoning correct?

Thanks All,

Midiboy

[/img]

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:14 pm

OK, but I may be getting out of my depth here.

The background image, full screen looks OK at the edges because the TV overscans and you are seeing the screen limit which is a hard vertical edge.

The top, smaller image, probably shows a reasonable vertical line on the left hand edge, and a curve on the right hand edge. This is partly due to horizontal scan sync and the corrections that have to be made to the electron beam scanning a nearly flat surface. The edges of the screen have to be scanned at a slower angular rate than the centre.

Any TV engineers help out on this :roll:

I have never tried this but this is worth an experiment. Make a slide with 3 vertical lines, one towards the right and left hand sides and one central. Show this full screen. Does this show line distortion. Now try it smaller than full screen on the next slide.

Then the best solution is to do full screen only on dvd and/or have a nice animated show for the computer only.

On the other hand this may be the best solution :D

It is getting kind of late here now, but I must try the three vertical lines and see what I get tomorrow. Wife permitting.
I have a couple of players and TV's 4:3 and 16:9 to try it on.

Brian

Postby midiboy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:21 am

Brian

I burned the straight lines on a dvd full screen. Small slide in middle. And the three lines with motion. The results are no crooked or wavy lines. Now the image on the menu at startup has curvy or crooked edges. So when I put anything on a slide with less than full screen I get the crooked edges on the left and right sides only. Not the Top or Bottom.

Now if I insert the dvd into my dvd player on my computer and play with Nero Showtime, I do not have a problem viewing the show. It looks great. Does that mean that I have a problem with my TV or DVD players. But I get the same problem when viewing on other folks TV.

Is there something that I am missing or setup problem? Still puzzled about this situation.

Thanks,

Midiboy

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:40 am

Midiboy

I have just finished trying it here. All my lines look vertical, left, centre and right, on both PC monitor (LCD), and on both our TV's (CRT), one 4:3 and one is 16:9. (That was also using two different DVD players, one 'high end' and one 'cheapo'. I woudl expect the top and bottom lines to be straight as they are 'inline' with the horizontal scan. Vertical lines are a different matter depending on the horizontal sync pulse being correctly recognised.

I believe you have nothing wrong with the burning of the DVD, if you had it would be wrong in Nero. It must be player or more likely TV. My knowledge on TV circuitry is now why out of date, and with NTSC nonexistent (we are on PAL).

I think I have come to a dead end in my knowledge.

Brian

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting