Producer Crashes Unexpectedly

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Mike S.

Postby Mike S. » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:50 pm

PhotoCin wrote: Thank you for your help - I had my son take a look at this since I am in a bit over my head and the computer I am using is one that he built, and I then I bought it from him. He said that everything I have running is up to date with all the correct drivers and the correct speeds, etc. He suggested I get an earlier build from Photodex. I think I will try that.
Thanks again - you all are so very helpful.

Your son built it... that explains why "fast" components are used. Though it is no fault of your components, there might be a compatibility problem with PSP. Suggest sending an email to Photodex and let them know that you are running an Athlon 64 with WinXP-SP2, an ATI Radeon X800Pro graphics card, and what ever type of sound card your son says you have. See what Photodex says.

I hope that any Athlon 64 users on this web site will chime in and let you know their configuration if they are running crash free. Anyone?

Two more things:

1. Try clicking on START > right click MY COMPUTER > PROPERTIES > ADVANCED > PERFORMANCE SETTINGS > DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION. What setting is ticked? I've read about a case with an Athlon 64 where this setting corrected crashing. Long shot but I'm trying to relay anything I can remember.

2. Again, do you know how to use and if so, have you tried msconfig?

Mike S.

PhotoCin

Postby PhotoCin » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:29 am

Mike S. wrote:
PhotoCin wrote: Thank you for your help - I had my son take a look at this since I am in a bit over my head and the computer I am using is one that he built, and I then I bought it from him. He said that everything I have running is up to date with all the correct drivers and the correct speeds, etc. He suggested I get an earlier build from Photodex. I think I will try that.
Thanks again - you all are so very helpful.

Your son built it... that explains why "fast" components are used. Though it is no fault of your components, there might be a compatibility problem with PSP. Suggest sending an email to Photodex and let them know that you are running an Athlon 64 with WinXP-SP2, an ATI Radeon X800Pro graphics card, and what ever type of sound card your son says you have. See what Photodex says.

I hope that any Athlon 64 users on this web site will chime in and let you know their configuration if they are running crash free. Anyone?

Two more things:

1. Try clicking on START > right click MY COMPUTER > PROPERTIES > ADVANCED > PERFORMANCE SETTINGS > DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION. What setting is ticked? I've read about a case with an Athlon 64 where this setting corrected crashing. Long shot but I'm trying to relay anything I can remember.

2. Again, do you know how to use and if so, have you tried msconfig?

Mike S.

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the Data Execution Prevention settings and it is set for: "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only." So, is that what it should be?

Re msconfig - yes I have tried that. It was suggested in an email from Photodex - I tried it and it didn't fix anything. I was on the phone with tech support twice yesterday and we went thru all sorts of tests - never found the problem. I even checked the hard drive for bad sectors - didn't fix it. Finally got it to stay open long enough to send in an error report attached to one of the shows -- got a response from them this morning as if this was the first contact I made with them - they suggested I delete the DEF.PHD file! I did that 3 freakin' weeks ago!!! grrrrrrrr I am lost at this point - haven't a clue what to do next.

Still open for more suggestions from anybody out there. Thanks a million Mike - I really appreciate the help.

Cindy

Postby weldr » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:59 am

Hey Cindy and Mikey, I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 processor 4000, MMX, 3d now,~2.46 Hz, 1.00GB Ram. (Don't know what it all means) I've had no major crashing problems since I upgraded to version 1942. The few times I do have a problem is when I have Elements running and doing a lot of keyframing, them I save and reboot....always seems to work. Oh, I also have Win SP2. I know how frustrating it can be dealing with photodex. Good luck, Don P.S. How do I find out how mine is configured?I'd report back.
Canon EOS 50D,PSE7,Latest Producer, new computer...don't know specs off hand but runs Producer with no problems.

Mike S.

Postby Mike S. » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:18 pm

PhotoCin wrote: Mike,
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the Data Execution Prevention settings and it is set for: "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only." So, is that what it should be?

Re msconfig - yes I have tried that. It was suggested in an email from Photodex - I tried it and it didn't fix anything. I was on the phone with tech support twice yesterday and we went thru all sorts of tests - never found the problem.

That is the setting my PCs use but both use Intel Pentium 4 CPUs. Maybe try the setting to turn DEP on for all programs, "do a restart" and run PSP to see what happens. Couldn't hurt. Just be sure to set it back after your test in case it affects other programs.

After reading all of your posts, I'm inclined to believe that your particular Athlon 64 hardware configuration is causing your problems. I'm a Matrox RTX100 video editing card user and there were a host of early Athlon 64s adopters that had compatibility problems with the RTX100 card and drivers. The concensus of the Athlon 64 users at the time was that the Matrox drivers were not written right for the Athlon 64. I never heard of a solution for them and I seldom visit the Matrox forum any more.

I really doubt that it is a hard drive defrag problem.

Maybe ask you son to go into the BIOS and set the PCI bus latencies to higher values than they are now. This trick allowed some folks to run their RTX100 cards crash free. I know you don't have a RTX100 card but it might allow your graphics and sound cards to work better and allow PSP to stop crashing.

Oh, if your son overclocked your system, maybe try returning it to stock timings.

Please do post the solution if you ever find it,
Mike S.

Previous

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting