PSP crashes when creating *.iso file

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

PSP crashes when creating *.iso file

Postby eigilw » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:05 pm

Hi out there.
PSP 'Stops unexpectedly' when I try to create an ISO file. The rendering starts normally but stops towards the end of the rendering. I can make MP4 files in highest resolution without problems.
I have updated to version 7.0.3527. OS is Windows 10 Pro, 8 GB Memory.
Best regards Eigil Winkel

Re: PSP crashes when creating *.iso file

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:44 am

You don't say if you are trying to create an ISO with a menu on it or not - if you do have a menu, try creating an ISO without one (so it would simply play when put in the DVD player) and see if that works. That will tell us if the menu is the problem (you say you can create an mp4 without problem, but an mp4 would not have a menu).

mikey (who has not had his coffee yet)
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:33 am

To build upon what Mikey said, the problem "could" also be a transition or an effect used within the program. If the menuing is NOT the source of the problem, the crash will occur at or near the same point as before. If so, you'll need to watch the process and note approximately where the crash occurs within the show itself. Then, re-open the show. Go to the slide that's at or near the time that the crash occurs during the ISO creation process. Note the transition or style in use ... modify it (which means you probably want to do this on a COPY of the show so that you don't ruin the original show during your investigation).

By modify, I mean change the transition or use a different style or move the slide to some point AFTER or BEFORE its current location. All you're trying to do at this point is identify whether or not one or more of these elements are the cause of the problem. It's possible that the transition from one slide to another could cause a memory or resources problem is the complexity is high enough. There are a number of possible elements. Changing what you're now using could help identify the culprit if you are finally able to create an ISO. Once identified, an appropriate resolution might present itself.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:21 am

The fact that he says (if I read it correctly) that he can make an mp4 of the same show without any issues makes me think it is something that is not part of the mp4 but is part of the ISO which is, most likely, something like a menu. I do remember that there have been issues (although I don't think it results in a crash) if you try to create an EXE to add to the DVD and the exe is over 1GB or so in size - that is a bug/feature that I don't think has ever been worked although most people don't run into it (and I'm not sure if it is a Proshow issue or a problem with the DVD spec. limiting the size of file segments on the DVD).

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:33 am

You are right Mikey ... it's odd that an MP4 can be made but not the ISO. But, like I said before, if the menuing problem is NOT found to be part of the problem, it lies elsewhere.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby eigilw » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi thanks to all. I Will start with the menu removal, but I have to ask how to remove the menu. It pops always up and I can change it but how do I get rid of the menu? It is probably obvious, but I can't see it.

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:28 pm

In the Create DVD window, the first option tab is "Menu." In the upper right of the window (next to the preview window0 is an option called "no menu." Select that. Then proceed as normal.

Dale

Postby eigilw » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:55 pm

Thanks Dale. That's embarrassingly simple!
BTW. If no menu doesn't help I will split the show in half and continue that way until I find the culprit.
There are some videos in the show, could it be something with their format or resolution?

Postby im42n8 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:08 am

While a video "could" be a culprit, I doubt it. Most of the time I've found it to be a transition. However, I've also experienced crashes with either a back-to-back complex slide (such as when the two slides had a large number of image layers ... And the simple transition of fading one slide exceeded the memory limitation of a 16-bit application) or a particular style (a Photodex version... But, that was a couple of years back). So, it's hard to say what the problem might be. Who knows, you might find something unique. OR, you may have had a simple glitch ... It's possible (tho improbable) that the cache file (myfile.pxc) is corrupted. Deleting it will cause it to become regenerated.

I'm betting it has something to do with the menu tho. But, too, you can modify one of those selected menus and that could provide the "fix" if so...

Good luck!

Dale

Postby eigilw » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:38 am

Hi Dale and mikey.
Problem was the EXE File.
I tried to run with No menu with the same result. Then I split the show in two halves and tried to generate ISO files separately with no luck. Then I removed all extras as copying the show images and videos and generating an EXE file. That worked for both halves. In between I tried to generate an ISO file for an older show just to see if the machinery worked, that was okay. Back to the original show I could make an ISO file with No Menu, also with a Menu and finally with copying of the show images and videos. But when I include an EXE file it stopped. I can live with that. I haven't tried to generate an exe-file separately. If that works I could include it as extra material. Thank you so much for your help, I was really stuck.
Actually the message was:
ProShow has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Best regards Eigil

Postby eigilw » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:43 am

Latest.
I can't genrate an EXE file separately either

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:30 pm

See my comment in my second post about problems with EXE files - I don't remember all the details (seemed to me it actually did create it, but writing it to the DVD was the issue but it has been a while. The key in the bug we found was that if the exe was over something like 1.2 GB in size it broke. Try creating an exe just as an exe and not trying to work the ISO issue. Does it still break?

mikey

Postby eigilw » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:12 pm

Thanks mikey. It breaks immediately if I just try to create an EXE file alone.

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:17 am

Hmmm - it still sounds like a transition or something causing it. If I remember the bug correctly with the .exe file, it could correctly generate the .exe file, but it got busted when writing it to the DVD (or an ISO) and would only write the first chunk of the exe instead of the whole one. I guess I am sort of at the "call photodex support" point with this one - the fact that it can generate an mp4 but not an ISO (which, I assume you are using a standard dvd which is mpeg2) is interesting. The good news is that Photodex support is generally pretty good at either answering the phones if you are here in the states or replying to email if you are somewhere else. Be interesting to see what they say.

mikey

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:25 am

I sent you a PM you may find interesting.

mikey

Next

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting